Lurker Whisperers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich

I notice that replies versus views has a ratio of about 1 to 10. Some of the views are folks who post but decide not to reply in a particular thread. Some of the views are probably editors from Random House, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Smithsonian--or maybe not? But I figure a good deal of them are lurkers who just don't want to come out of the closet just yet. I believe it's the posters on this board, we shade-on-the-head hams/exhibitionists/egocentrics who should try to lure these folk out from their zones of comfort.

Any suggestions?

rich

Nah, I tried that once. She pulled out a stiletto the size of a mob stick. They're shy, not cowardly.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
make up stories about them, and what freaks they are to just lurk around on message boards with out posting (You bunch of voyeurs!) so they have to come out and defend themselves!
:)

rich

Uh uh. They've been back channeling for years doing the same thing to us.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
make up stories about them, and what freaks they are to just lurk around on message boards with out posting (You bunch of voyeurs!) so they have to come out and defend themselves!
Make up stories about them? You mean, like, write a fictional narrative? I don't know if I can do that...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rekirts said:
I read a lot of threads that I don't post on. You could try bribing me with chocolate.

Good idea, except I'd probably eat the chocolate I'm trying to bribe you with. My will is weak....

rich

But you're already posting, rekirts. You're ham enough to continue without much enticement.

Okay, okay, somebody feed her an M&M--Jezu.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I do the same thing -- I read a lot more than I post. I "lurked" for months before I started this username. My other usernames seemed to have vanished . . . which is odd . . . :Shrug:

rich

Hey, that's good stuff. We can now get more into the heads of the lurkers.

Do you feel better now that you outed yourself?

What were the reasons you didn't post earlier?

Are you posting naked?...no, no, no. I didn't mean that.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
We could entice them out with promises of free rep points. :D

rich

There's no such thing as a free rep point. The orgy that occurred during its inception brought out every cheerleader and Romeo on this board. Fake gold I tellya.

We need to attach more value to joining our ranks. T-shirts?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I moderate at another website (nothing to do with writing) where this is a problem, too. There, and perhaps here as well, the lurkers are not sure.

Many are shy or lacking confidence. Are they good enough to join our august company? (C'mon, lurkers, I'm a moron, just barely published and that years ago!) Will they look foolish for their ignorance? (Well, only if you consciously choose to remain ignorant. That's foolish, right?)

One of this site's major attractions is how the people who know stuff share it, without looking down their published noses at us plain folks groveling in the dirt. If your messages show that you can't handle the written word, nobody will say you have no hope, just that you need to work hard to improve, and here are some book titles and websites that will help, and to feel free to ask more questions...

Some of the lurkers fall into another group, those who are already writing at some high level of proficiency. Are we good enough? It takes some time to sort the wheat from the chaff, but there's some whole-grain goodness here worthy of your attention.

Come on out, lurkers. Introduce yourself at our Newbie Forum. I'll put on a pot of coffee, or set up the bar, depending on the hour...

Maryn, pleased to meet you all

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
how about a lurker competition. for lurkers that come out and post, the first one to 30 posts gets something! whether its a t-shirt or not, well...we'd have to come up with a snazzy slogan for the shirt, wouldn't we...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
I moderate at another website (nothing to do with writing) where this is a problem, too. There, and perhaps here as well, the lurkers are not sure.

Many are shy or lacking confidence. Are they good enough to join our august company? (C'mon, lurkers, I'm a moron, just barely published and that years ago!) Will they look foolish for their ignorance? (Well, only if you consciously choose to remain ignorant. That's foolish, right?)

One of this site's major attractions is how the people who know stuff share it, without looking down their published noses at us plain folks groveling in the dirt. If your messages show that you can't handle the written word, nobody will say you have no hope, just that you need to work hard to improve, and here are some book titles and websites that will help, and to feel free to ask more questions...

Some of the lurkers fall into another group, those who are already writing at some high level of proficiency. Are we good enough? It takes some time to sort the wheat from the chaff, but there's some whole-grain goodness here worthy of your attention.

Come on out, lurkers. Introduce yourself at our Newbie Forum. I'll put on a pot of coffee, or set up the bar, depending on the hour...

Maryn, pleased to meet you all

very well thought post, Ms. Maryn!!!

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
rich said:
Hey, that's good stuff. We can now get more into the heads of the lurkers.

Do you feel better now that you outed yourself?

What were the reasons you didn't post earlier?

Are you posting naked?...no, no, no. I didn't mean that.

(1) Yep. Hopelessly addicted again. I was up over 1,000 posts before Jenna switched to the new boards and wiped everyone back to zero. That was a bummer. There was a whole "wow, I'm back to zero again" thread . . . which I'm sure was used to boost people back up again. hehe

(2) I took a hiatus from September 2005 until the day I rejoined with this name. I had to have two heart surgeries (the last was the hardest to get over, so I took off) and, the week before I rejoined, I just finished up cancer testing. So, my health was keeping me occupied . . . but the addiction was still there, so I still read.

(3) Doesn't everyone? I thought that was one of the first stipulations made back in 1999? :: ponders :: I feel incredibly misinformed.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
sofa.gif

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We found a few of 'em here, but some of the craftier ones still got away.
view-to-post ratio about 15:1, on par with other office party threads.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
LOL!!!! I read this thread and was about to go withough posting, when I realized that would put me among the lurkers :D

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
rich said:
You misinformed? This was SOP since 1999?

LOL That's when I first found the site and stared using the forums (I'm listed on the main page in the staff section), so I thought I'd add it into my lil joke. tee hee :D

Status
Not open for further replies.