FLDS and Colorado City, AZ

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm writing a new WIP that heavily involves the FLDS and takes place partly in Colorado City, AZ. Like many writers, I'm often drawn to write about places I have never been near :p I'm looking for someone who has been there or knows a significant amount about the FLDS and their culture and ways. I've done quite a bit of research and will continue to do so as I continue writing, but it would be really handy to have someone to answer cultural and logistics questions or just to help give me a better idea of places than Google Maps can give. Even someone who lives semi-close by would be helpful. PMing or posting here would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the passing tourist's view, for what it's worth:

I've driven past Colorado City on the way from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon's North Rim. Looks *very* normal from the main road and there's nothing to tell an unsuspecting passer-by who isn't familar with the place that it's not quite what it seems.

Someone on here mentioned that if you go into town (i.e. off the main road which bypasses Colorado City) the residents don't like it one little bit. I made the decision not to stop off for a comfort break based on a TV documentary I saw a few years ago. I'm usually pretty tolerant about what people choose to believe (so long as it doesn't hurt others or they don't try to convert me!), but these people... yeah, let's leave it there.

Update:

Just read this article on the BBC's website. Again, not strictly relevant, but interesting all the same:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28890069

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this, and that article! :) On Google Earth, you can see how normal it looks. Just like an average desert small town.

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing a novel, you may want to consider creating a similar cult from scratch. Understanding the inner workings of the FLDS is something psychologists are still trying to do, and could take years to research.

If you're really set on writing about the FLDS, consider picking up Escape from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0767927575/?tag=absowrit-20

It's a first-person account of one of the women.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
By all means, read Jon Krakauer's book, Under the Banner of Heaven. He covers Colorado City, the FLDS and Uncle Rulon Jeffs (father of the now-imprisoned Warren Jeffs) in much unflinching detail. There's a photo of Colorado City on the cover.

caw

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
By all means, read Jon Krakauer's book, Under the Banner of Heaven. He covers Colorado City, the FLDS and Uncle Rulon Jeffs (father of the now-imprisoned Warren Jeffs) in much unflinching detail. There's a photo of Colorado City on the cover.

caw

I just picked up Jon Krakauer's book at the bookshop, and Rebecca Musser's (one of Rulon Jeffs's former wives) memoir. I've read the Carolyn Jessop memoir, as well.

As far as creating a fictitious religion, no, that's not something I'm into for this project, although I've used that technique in other things. This book is meant to be rooted in truth.

Thanks everyone!