• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

NA/YA Science Fiction - Distant Horizon - Anyone interested in beta-reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Hello! I've recently finished polishing Distant Horizon, and I'm looking for one or two beta readers to look over it and see if it's ready for submission. (Granted, I would like to have it ready for the September 9th PitMad, but seeing as how that's coming up fast, I'm kind of doubting I'll have final edits ready). But if you're interested and can get it read in one to two weeks, awesome! :)

Query Work in Progress:

Eighteen-year-old Jenna Nickleson hasn't taken her pills in nearly a year. The pills protect against a plague that wiped out half the world's population, but they make her sick-- nevermind that not taking the pills is an international offense. But when Jenna's favorite potted plant wraps itself around her fingers, she starts questioning her decision.

With the campus health scan scheduled unusually early, Jenna searches for information on students who failed the scans. Turns out those students vanish, and even her professors have no idea how the treatment works.

Jenna then hacks the government's health network and finds a list of hallucinations. Plague victims insist they can fly, control fire or ice, or even manipulate plant growth.

They also never return from treatment.

When Jenna learns her grandfather is the leader of the last remaining superheroes, she realizes that the health scan was announced early for a reason. Someone important knows she doesn't take the pills... and if they get to her, they get to her grandfather.

Genre: New Adult/Young Adult Science fiction. Strong dystopian and adventure elements, with super hero powers. 113,000 words.

Feedback: I'm looking for any pacing issues (trying to see if anything needs to be cut), and for plot holes. Overall feedback works great, since I'm looking for a reader's perspective, but if you want to make comments directly in the manuscript, that works fine, too. I like knowing what works and doesn't. :)

Publishing: I'm planning to pitch to agents, but I'm also considering self-publishing if I don't get any bites. On that note, one reason I want to have this beta-read is to see if it's ready to be submitted.

Credentials: I would prefer you have at least 50 posts and that you've read books within the genre.

To read the first chapter, see post 13: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293920

Thanks for taking a look! :-D

Last edited:

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested, if you're still looking for a beta reader. send me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.