PDA

View Full Version : Question about a peculiar situation.



android415
08-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Without getting into too much backstory, this is basically it: I self published my second novel about a month ago, and realized that the people who were interested in my first novel were likely not interested in the second one (genres too different, etc.). I realized this was not going to bode well for me.

So, I queried two agents and told them about the situation. Just straight up honestly.

An agent requested a full after the partial.

Now, I'm just waiting to hear back. But my question that I pose to the AWers is---what exactly am I supposed to be doing right now?

Should I take the book down? (it is still live, and still getting reviews from the ARCs I gave out to my blog followers. But then again, the agent knows this, because I told him/her).

Should I still be marketing this book on my blog?

Should I ask the agent these questions directly?

Should I be querying other agents, and mention that it is under consideration by this particular agent?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Literateparakeet
08-26-2014, 03:10 AM
"That's a very interesting situation."

I don't know the answer, but I think you will get more responses if you post this in the "ask the agent" forum. If you PM one of the moderators, they can move it for you.

Best of luck with your book!

android415
08-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Thank you, will do. :)

Also---are you quoting yourself?

Cyia
08-26-2014, 06:19 AM
You might also try the self-publishing forum to see if anyone there has an experience similar to yours. I know there are a few hybrid authors here. One of them might have been a self-publisher before a commercial one and be able to help you out.

Osulagh
08-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Sounds like you're being too impatient, bud.

Don't take your car off the market when someone says they're interested in it. Keep it on the market because taking it off will be a mistake; keeping it on won't hurt you more.

Don't query other agents to tell them that an agent is "considering" anything. Alert other agents when an agent has offered representation.

If and when you have an agent's hand in representation, then talk to them about taking the book down and their plans--still, don't take it down until you both agree to a decision.

Literateparakeet
08-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Thank you, will do. :)

Also---are you quoting yourself?

LOL, sorry I couldn't decide if I should mention where the quote is from or if that would be too pedantic because people would recognize it :). Anyway, it's from It's A Wonderful Life. Jimmy Stewart's character says it to the girl when they are walking home from a dance in bathrobes (after accidentally going for a swim in the pool under the dance floor). She got caught in the bushes without her robe. He laughed and said, "This is a very interesting situation." :)

megajo29
08-27-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm confused: did you query the two agents with your first novel, or your second novel? (the one that's self-pubbed).

If you're querying with your first novel, then why would it matter that you have another one self-pubbed? If you're querying with your second novel, and you already told the agents about it, then taking it down now would make you appear untruthful. Maybe they haven't checked online yet, but decide to do so later. Your novel isn't where you said it would be. That would look pretty bad. Just my 2 cents.

Debbie V
08-27-2014, 01:55 AM
you may query as many agents at as time as you like and make a general mention that you are querying others. No need to say someone is considering. Do state if you have an offer.

Write the next book. This is always the answer to "What should I do now?"

Since you've been up front about it being out there, I wouldn't worry about the rest. I wouldn't go forward with it, but I wouldn't take it down unless the blog reviews you are getting suck. If the reviews suck, remove it to stop the bleeding. Also, be equally up front with any one else you sub to.