PDA

View Full Version : Hair & the way men look at you - Trust me, the thread makes more sense than the title

scarletpeaches
03-22-2006, 08:30 PM
I've been blonde for only four hours and already I've been called 'beautiful', had someone say it suits me and he likes blondes, and had two men rush to serve me in a shop.

They say gentlemen prefer blondes, but who wants a gentleman?!

Anyhoo, my point is this: Women, have you changed your hair colour and noticed a difference in the way men look at you/ speak to you/ treat you? And men, do you REALLY look at blondes differently? Where did the typical dizzy blonde/ damsel in distress/ blonde-is-more-feminine image come from and how true is it these days?

Perhaps I just happened to bump into someone who has a 'thing' for blondes, but I've known this guy for a few months and we have a bit of banter (he's married by the way), pass the time of day, but I go blonde and - suddenly he becomes more friendly. Is this usual? Can I expect men to fall at my feet?

Does anyone know whether or not the Purefoy likes blondes?

rtilryarms
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
I love blondes and i don't care what color their hair is.

Celia Cyanide
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think it's the hair color, but how it suits you. Scarlet, I think blond would suit you, judging by your face. I think it probably looks very nice on you. I get more attention when my hair is black with blue streaks.

scarletpeaches
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Probably had something to do with the fact I flashed my tits, though.

(That was a joke. I didn't really).

Stew21
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM

(That was a joke. I didn't really).

all that ever got me was arrested!

(that was a joke, too. I've never been arrested.) :tongue

Sarita
03-22-2006, 08:39 PM
You know you can't go saying something like this and not give me a picture! (of the hair colour, not your tits)

I change my hair colour (drastically) once every few years now. When I go blonde, yes... there's a huge difference in the way people interact with me. People take me more seriously as a brunette and I prefer the way I look as a brunette (even though I'm naturally dirty blonde). I'd love to see some societal research on this. (I'm such a geek)

rtilryarms
03-22-2006, 08:40 PM

Ice Tea SPEW through the nostrils!!!!!

scarletpeaches
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
I've been trying to get photos from my mobile phone onto my dad's PC using infra-red, and his data cable, but it's not working...What I'll do is put the photos on my laptop at home, then put them on a pen drive, and copy from that onto my dad's PC next time I'm round here.

Photos of my hairstyle of course, not my funbags. (Those by special request only, to people called James Purefoy).

rhymegirl
03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I dyed my hair blonde when I was in college just for a change. I would say both males and females treated me differently.

I think people (in general) view a woman as being more intelligent when she has brown hair.

WerenCole
03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
No offense to the natural blondes out there, but all you folks are crazy. . . at least in my experience. I have made a pact with myself to find a sensible brunette. . . I have sworn off blondes. I can be friends, lovers, acquantices with blondes, but I have decided that the woman to tie me down will most definetly be a brunette.

I sure you look wonderful Scarlet. . . what is your natural hair color? Live close by?;) :D

Anya Smith
03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
People talk about blondes and brunettes. What about redheads?

Stew21
03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm a brunette, and have never gone all the way blonde. I do put blonde highlights in my hair though. last time I got it done she put so much blonde in it ...it was shocking! I couldn't believe how light it was...holy crap. I got home and showed my husband, and he said, "Jesus, Trish!" Sort of stumbled around and said it would take some getting used to. I agreed.
After that a few other friends saw it and said, "oh my God. Oh. It looks good." - nice try...it was too much. I am by no stretch a blonde. I don't mind the highlights, but it didn't suit me at all to be too fair-haired. happily it has grown out a bit and I'm getting it cut tomorrow so it will look more normal again.

I didn't get a good reaction to being blonde but I know a few people who did. Just suits them. that's what I think it comes down to.

Maryn
03-22-2006, 09:29 PM
I've tried on a blonde wig and learned the easy way why I should never go blonde. I have, however, tried black and auburn--and the auburn definitely drew more positive male attention.

Now my hair's long and I don't want to color it or do anything else that will damage it, so it's brown and silver.

Maryn, that hippie lady you see all the time

Stew21
03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
--and the auburn definitely drew more positive male attention.

A friend of mine is natural red head. Always got compliments. People loved her red hair (maybe because it is more rare?) She decided not long ago to go blonde with it. It looks great, but I still can't believe she would go from rare red to more a common blonde. She likes it though, and claims people expect less of her as a blonde. (terrible thing to say but this is from her observation apparently.)

scarletpeaches
03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I only went blonde to cover the grey. Well, I am nearly thirty, and the women in my family go grey young, so I've had more years of greylessness than I expected.

Natural colour is dark brown.

robeiae
03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I prefer brunettes. Always have, though I'm fine with blondes and redheads as long as they are real blondes and readheads. I hate and love finding out that they are not.

Rob :)

Shadow_Ferret
03-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I used to go blond every summer. Buy that sun-in stuff. I can't say women treated me any differently. The hair color thing must be a one way street.

scarletpeaches
03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
I have blonde highlights, but still have a few 'stripes' of my real colour showing, so I guess you could say I have two-tone hair.

Therefore, I score with those men who like blondes AND those who like brunettes.

As for redhead-lovers, well, the bottom centimetre of my hair has red tones in it, due to being over-processed. The bleach is gradually lifting all those layers of dye off each time I go to the hairdressers, and I get a little bit trimmed off each time to keep it looking smart.

rtilryarms
03-22-2006, 10:58 PM

I love redheads most of all.

LloydBrown
03-22-2006, 11:02 PM
I dyed my hair blonde when I was in college just for a change. I would say both males and females treated me differently.

I think people (in general) view a woman as being more intelligent when she has brown hair.

I love the t-shirt I saw on a schoolgirl at Chuck E. Cheese: "Brunettes get better grades."

Stew21
03-22-2006, 11:24 PM
I prefer brunettes. Always have, though I'm fine with blondes and redheads as long as they are real blondes and readheads. I hate and love finding out that they are not.

Rob :)

the love of discovering "what lies beneath" , eh Rob? ;)

Jaycinth
03-23-2006, 12:01 AM
I admit to putting lots of red highlights in my hair. I am rather plain otherwise.

Jaycinth
03-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh. And I know a couple of guys.. . . if they blonded their hair, you'd need angry wolfhounds to keep me away.....

Stew21
03-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh. And I know a couple of guys.. . . if they blonded their hair, you'd need angry wolfhounds to keep me away.....

I tend to be attracted to the lighter hair and light (green or blue) eye combo on a guy, and to pull from another thread, if he smells good, I'm putty in their hands! ;)

Jaycinth
03-23-2006, 12:23 AM
I tend to be attracted to the lighter hair and light (green or blue) eye combo on a guy, and to pull from another thread, if he smells good, I'm putty in their hands! ;)

Drooooolllllllllllllllll pant pant....just point me in the right direction...are my stockings on straight....drooooooooollllllllllll

tiny
03-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I've always been blonde and always suffered from lack of attention... maybe I need to flash my wares more.

SpookyWriter
03-23-2006, 06:09 AM
I've always been blonde and always suffered from lack of attention... maybe I need to flash my wares more.
Just drop kick the next guy who blows you off.

poetinahat
03-23-2006, 06:25 AM
I know. Why are they always overlooked? I married one, and we've got two redheaded children (daughter and son).

Jackpot.

To answer the original question -- no, don't care about hair colour by itself. A change usually attracts attention, though.

LightShadow
03-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Please, nobody take offense, I have never, ever, ever been attracted to blondes. Dark hair, olive skin, and dark eyes are extremely seductive to me. Good thing my wife is Mexican. *whoa, boy* See what you've done? Now I've got the urge to leave and spend more time with my lovely wife. Ooo, la la

DamaNegra
03-23-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm Mexican, but I've always felt jealous of those Mexican types who have black hair, dark eyes and olive skin.

Me? I have brown hair. Curly. And I mean CURLY. And I attract far more attention when I have it loose and curly than when I tie it up. But if I wear it loose, it is so curly it will eventually become a natural afro.

PattiTheWicked
03-23-2006, 07:47 AM
My natural hair color is that shade politely referred to as "dishwater blonde", but I haven't seen it in years. For a long time, I went with a honey-gold color that looked pretty nice on my, but about five years ago I went red, and I *love* being a redhead. It looks awesome, and as long as I touch it up every six weeks or so it looks fantastic. I get a lot of compliments on it, because I use a cranberry sort of shade, and I'm fairly light-skinned.

Interestingly, I've never found blonde men attractive, but think redheaded guys are devastatingly hot. Not the carrotty-orange shade, but a nice deep rusty auburn. Mmmrrooow.

LightShadow
03-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I was born with red hair, it then turned blonde, then light brown, and now it's dark brown. I've had four different hair colors and never ever touched dye. Oh, and damanegra, my wife has dark brown hair that is so dark it is almost black, olive skin, and medium to dark brown eyes. It's rough being in public with her, and we are getting older. Well, I am, she still looks young, and people have gasped when they find out she's over 40. but, it doesn't matter how beautiful I think she is, the main thing is she is such a cool wife. My daughter has brown hair with red tint at the tips, and it is totally natural. Oh, and coal black eyes.

Danger Jane
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
I've got pretty dark hair (darker than it looks in the profile pic) and wicked pale skin, maybe because I haven't had the oppurtunity to tan since August. I like my hair color a lot but going blonde would be so much fun...people would FREAK.

I don't go for blonde guys so much because I want my kids to have one-or-the-other hair, not partway in the middle hair. But I like guys with blue eyes because then we can have half aryan babies?

/flawed logic

LightShadow
03-23-2006, 09:07 AM
My mom has brown hair, my dad has black hair. I was born red-headed (it changed to blonde, then to brown later) and my siblings are blondes

Haruko_Ito
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Where did the typical dizzy blonde/ damsel in distress/ blonde-is-more-feminine image come from and how true is it these days?

Um, well, I'm blonde and I wouldn't necessarily say that all of us are damsels in distress and what all else... I know quite a few who are tomboys who like to have fun and could care less about what guys think of them (myself included).

Oh! And at my school, blondes are actually the smarter ones. I have no idea where that whole 'dumb blonde' thing came about. Then again, there are always the exceptional few whom I wish not to speak for...

Blonde pride!

DamaNegra
03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
In my experience in school, blondes were never the smart ones but always the hard-working ones. Therefore, they got the better grades.

I love the coloring in my hair. It's light brown with patches of blond, so it looks like I have put on blond lights, but it's all natural ;)

Oh, and my eyes. That's the best part. I have honey-colored lights but they sometimes look green, it's awesome :D

NeuroFizz
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Brown is going silverback.

oswann
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM

By the look of your photo I'd call your hair more auburn than blonde but I think I've nailed the reasons for the lack of attention...

Os.

eldragon
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
When I was in my early 20's, I was a hair model for Scott Cole in Atlanta.

I could walk into the salon a brunnette, barely getting noticed, and walk out a blonde, and get catcalls from drive-bys.

Back then, my hair was short and blonde and everyone said I looked like Madonna. (1986.).

My face didn't have anything to do with it : short hair = Madonna.

I haven't had my natural hair color since I was about 15. I have been a brunnette, a blonde, and a red-head.

Blondes get more attention. If that is more fun for you, it fits saying.

tiny
03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
By the look of your photo I'd call your hair more auburn than blonde but I think I've nailed the reasons for the lack of attention...

Os.

I don't think you've nailed anything Os. Be specific...

Carole
03-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I've changed my haircolor SO many times!! Blonde wins for attention-getting, hands down.

The girl who is doing my hair now has never seen me as a blonde, although I have been blonde more than any other color. Saturday night she and her boyfriend came over and I showed her a few pics of me before going brunette. "Oh...DEFINITELY...You have to go back blonde!" she said.

But you asked about differenced in how people act toward you with different hair colors.

Blonde: Combine the blonde with the length of my hair - down to my butt - and that gets a lot of attention. Guys have even put their window down at a stoplight to whistle - MUCH to my boys' humiliation.

Thing is, I DO look tired all the time with dark hair. Blonde hair just suits my complexion, I guess.

Blonde with pink: That was just fun.

Black: The Goth crowd migrated to me.

Red: Some guys never noticed and some went nuts over it.

Brown: I hate the brown. I get called Ma'am a lot. *sigh*
I had to change my appointment for my next upgrade into the realm of blondeness. Unfortunately the truck has another ailment so I get to spend the day at the mechanic Saturday. Bummer. Yet another week with the brown hair. I think it makes me look tired. My brother, love his heart, called just to say, "MAN....Your'e lookin OLD". Yes, I love my brother. Butt head.

Brown hair definitely makes me look a lot older. With blonde, I have been mistaken for my older son's girlfriend more times than I can count. At a recent show at a club, the security cop asked me if I was the mom of one of the guys in the band. (we knew the singer and were watching the show from the wings) I wanted to die.

I have been known to work the "I'm blonde...I must be helpless" thing just for the satisfaction of showing that I am not stupid after all. On a jobsite once, some of the guys thought I would need help with all those confusing powertools. ~laughing~ I let them go on and on about it. Explaining all those technical *guy* things that any chick would have a hard time with, especially a BLONDE chick. Then a guy I worked with before came around and started laughing. He told them all that I was just fine on my own. Then he told me I was a brat.

It's funny. With blonde hair, I get treated as a much more delicate creature.

oswann
03-24-2006, 03:43 PM

You changed the monkey photo too quickly.

Os.

oswann
03-24-2006, 03:46 PM
...and I'd ban you even faster than before if I had the feeling you're getting snippy.

Os.

maestrowork
03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I have always had black hair. Blame it on my race. Any other colors on an Asian are just creepy, especially blond or red. I see all these people in Asian dying their hair brown, blonde or red and that just creeps me out. However, when I have hilites people tend to really notice and compliment. In general, guys with black hair should just stay put.

They say opposites attract, but I'm not really attracted to blondes. I like dark hair. I mean, if you're cute, you're cute, sure. But if you're cute and you have dark hair, oh my! And if you are cute and have dark hair and blue eyes, watch out!

PattiTheWicked
03-24-2006, 06:28 PM
While we're discussing hair, I'm going to take a moment to rant. I love my hair color, and for about the past three years I've kept it above shoulder length. My husband really likes it long, but he's not the one who has to do maintenance on it, and frankly, everyone else thinks it looks better short (translation: more like a grownup).

Last week I noticed it was getting a bit disheveled looking, so -- like always -- I got out my sewing scissors and gave it a trim. Now, in addition to being red, it's got long floppy spikes that frame my face, sort of a lift at the back, and looks a lot like this: http://www.matrix.com/find_your_hair_style/short/style_02.aspx?scroll=812

Everyone I've seen since then has told me how much they love it and how great it is.

My husband looks at me this morning and says, "You cut your hair."
I said, "Yeah, last Friday or so. Touched up my color too."
He says to me, "I hate it" and walks out of the room.

It's a good thing he's been sick lately, because it's the only damn thing that keeps me from poisoning him.

tiny
03-24-2006, 07:52 PM
...and I'd ban you even faster than before if I had the feeling you're getting snippy.

Os.

Oh please, Os. Your power shortage is still in full swing and I don't foresee your ability to ban me coming into effect until I have seriously irritated you to the point that banning is not longer a viable option in your eyes and only something more violent will make you happy. :D And then my mission will be complete. Wheeeeeeee.

scarletpeaches
03-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Here I is:

Sarita
03-29-2006, 07:40 PM
WOOOOO! Who's the blonde hottie????

HEY BABY!!!!

scarletpeaches
03-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Wonder if the two gorgeous JPs would like it, and I don't mean Justice of the Peace.

samgail
03-29-2006, 07:57 PM
*wolf whistle*
Scarlet me darling you look fab!!! If I see Purefoy I will let him know what he is missing.
Sam

samgail
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM

It's a good thing he's been sick lately, because it's the only damn thing that keeps me from poisoning him.

When I started dating my husband I had long, long curly hair. We had a formal function to attend and I had a professional blow-out. He came to pick me up and asked me if I was going to "do" my hair-eek! He was clueless and did not realize I had just spent eons getting it "done". He to this day teases me when I spend ages "undoing" my hair. He rarely notices anything else I do to it. Sometimes I even have to ask him "Honey I got my hair done-what do you think?" He usually says something along the lines of
"oh, you trimmed your bangs, didn't you?" uh I cut off three inches and got three colors of highlights but thanks for noticing I am growing out my bangs!
Thank goodness for girlfriends!
Sam

scarletpeaches
03-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Hair ignorance should be grounds for divorce. It will be, when I take over the world. I gather disciples as we speak.

jst5150
03-29-2006, 08:23 PM
First, you look fantastic.

Second, NBC Dateline did a report on this. Admittedly, it was unscientific and came at the end of the show. However, it did prove that blondes get more attention, get treated a bit more civil and seem to garner the lion's share of male affections.

Again, you look fantastic. Nice cut, too.

Anya Smith
03-29-2006, 08:29 PM
I know. Why are they always overlooked? I married one, and we've got two redheaded children (daughter and son).

And we stand out the most!! *_*

Anya Smith
03-29-2006, 08:32 PM

I think it's strawberry blonde. Nice shade.

kdnxdr
03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
This whole thing of coloring hair is interesting. I'm doomed. I opted to be happy with whatever color I had.

I've had lots of great sex, wonderful opportunities and memorable conversations.

Grey isn't sooooooooooo bad.

Lantern Jack
03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I've been blonde for only four hours and already I've been called 'beautiful', had someone say it suits me and he likes blondes, and had two men rush to serve me in a shop.

They say gentlemen prefer blondes, but who wants a gentleman?!

Anyhoo, my point is this: Women, have you changed your hair colour and noticed a difference in the way men look at you/ speak to you/ treat you? And men, do you REALLY look at blondes differently? Where did the typical dizzy blonde/ damsel in distress/ blonde-is-more-feminine image come from and how true is it these days?

Perhaps I just happened to bump into someone who has a 'thing' for blondes, but I've known this guy for a few months and we have a bit of banter (he's married by the way), pass the time of day, but I go blonde and - suddenly he becomes more friendly. Is this usual? Can I expect men to fall at my feet?

Does anyone know whether or not the Purefoy likes blondes?

Oh, I love being a blonde! I mean, I get mistaken for a girl all the time, anyway. But I lost a bet when I was 19 and me and Joey Marshall had to have our hair frosted (I tell you, his was the gayest-looking coif in seminary!!!) and the butt-fondlings and freebies we got were unbelievable! Of course, it didnít last. My hair grew out and I went back to being plain, ole dung-haired Joshua. But Iíll never forget that brief lick of the rainbow:cry:

rhymegirl
03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
By the look of your photo I'd call your hair more auburn than blonde...Os.

I think you've got your colors mixed up. My hair is auburn--reddish brown. Her hair is more like strawberry blonde.

Yeshanu
03-29-2006, 11:36 PM
And if you are cute and have dark hair and blue eyes, watch out!
:D

I've never coloured my hair. Never really wanted to, although this thread has got the scientist in me curious...

I always thought it unfair that it was the guys in my family who ended up with the blond hair and thick eyelashes, though the blond hair darkened as the guys grew into adulthood.

I'm just really glad that I'm finally showing some (natural) curl in my hair. I thought it even more unfair that my dad had a freakin' afro (or would have had, if he'd let his hair grow) and my long hair was always straight, straight, straight. But I cut it really short, and it started to curl once it got to a certain length. Then the curls grew out as it grew longer, and I cut it again. Each time I've had it cut since, the curls have come back, stronger than before.

Weird.

So I have thick, wavy hair. I wonder what would happen if I dyed it blonde or red? :D (Red would be more natural for me, as I have red highlights, and my mother used to be a redhead.)

Kevin Yarbrough
03-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Peaches, James Purefoy here. Special request sent for pic of funbags. Seriously, I am more attracted to burnettes than blondes. To me they are more attractive. The dark hair, eyes, features just...droolllllll.

Sam, you look good as a burnette, don't change.

I may not have light hair or eyes but I smell good.

Carole
03-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeshanu, red can be a monster to maintain. When mine was red, my bath towels were always pink from the constant dye release. I had to color it every week or else it turned a weird shade.

My hair is naturally wavy. If I just comb it out and let it dry naturally, I get what my boys call lasagna noodle waves. Some strands are really curly and others are straight. Weird, I know. But if I try to curl it, it falls straight as a board. On my wedding day, I ran around the house with pincurls all over my head and by the time we got to the car it was already falling straight. By the time the wedding photos were taken, I kinda-sorta had a little bit of a curve across the bottom. It's just so heavy, especially at this length, that it scoffs at my feeble attempts to keep it curled.

Carole
03-30-2006, 03:37 AM

*GASP!* I think I would have cried!

I believe the worst thing hubby has said about anything I have done with my hair is,"Sweetie, if you like it that's all that matters"

That, and "Well, you look...very...um...mature"

I don't know which "compliment" I like least.

scarletpeaches
03-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Peaches, James Purefoy here. Special request sent for pic of funbags. Seriously, I am more attracted to burnettes than blondes. To me they are more attractive. The dark hair, eyes, features just...droolllllll.

Sam, you look good as a burnette, don't change.

I may not have light hair or eyes but I smell good.

You wouldn't lie to me just to see my funbags, would you?:D

astonwest
04-01-2006, 08:59 AM
You know you can't go saying something like this and not give me a picture! (of the hair colour, not your tits)
Bite your tongue, you...

My wife recently had about 7 inches cut off her (brunette) hair. She asked me what I thought, and I said "it's okay."

Apparently, that wasn't the answer she was looking for.

What? It's just hair...
I'm much more a "funbags" kind of guy, I guess...