should i self publish the short stories...

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
hello everyone,

i have written lots of short stories over the past year. there's 13 of them now and i am proud of all of them. they're like my little babies, like seeds that i have sown in the computer that sprouted to sentences and bloomed different characters.

should i self publish a few of them as anthology?

i also have some poems, what do you think? do you self publish everything that you have written?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. Have you tried submitting them to paying markets?

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I gave it to one magazine and they refused. Then I gave it to another and they said, my writing is unique but doesn't meet their requirements. One lady liked it but said her boss didn't like it. Self publishing is easier.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Have you exhausted all the publishing possibilities? Not knocking self-pubbing, but traditional publishing, while not perfect, seems to have more advantages than doing it all on your own. Whatever suits you, but I'd try submitting your stuff to the presses which do anthologies first before you put it out on your own. JMO...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Have you exhausted all the publishing possibilities? Not knocking self-pubbing, but traditional publishing, while not perfect, seems to have more advantages than doing it all on your own. Whatever suits you, but I'd try submitting your stuff to the presses which do anthologies first before you put it out on your own. JMO...

This is what I would say, too.

ETA: This should probably be in Basic Writing Questions

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try with some publisher who accepts with anthologies.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Jaus,

Don't overlook magazines and websites that pay. If you ever decide to go for a novel, those paying publications are an important thing to have on your bio line. Also, I believe online magazines are a much bigger market than anthologies.

Another also (sorry), I think it's likely you'll get wider readership that way. I want to submit to places that dump a story in your inbox every day. Sharing the story with people and having them get off on it is really what it's about, at least for me.