PDA

View Full Version : Universities in Washington state - start dates and student IDs

Mark Moore
08-22-2014, 07:33 AM
In one of my current WIPs, I have my MCs start their fall semester at a fictional university in Washington state on a Thursday (and I haven't even settled on a month yet). Is this plausible?

Also, would a fall semester start sometime in September?

What kind of information would a student ID contain?

Cyia
08-22-2014, 08:19 AM
You should be able to Google any major college or university in the state and see their events calendar, which will tell you when each one requires students to be on campus, and when they begin classes.

You can probably Google image search the IDs.

King Neptune
08-22-2014, 04:18 PM
You could have the Fall term start whichever day you like, if this is a fictional university; you could even have them use a trimester schedule. Most student ID's simply have name, student number, and a photo with the school name somewhere on the card.

ElaineA
08-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Sure, you can choose any day you want to start. Just to give you examples, my kids go to two different universities. One starts on a Monday (8/25, semester system) this year, one on a Thursday (Oct. 2, quarter system). No one's going to question your start date in any range between late August and late September. (I admit, the early October date has a lot of us going O.O)

King Neptune's right on about the ID.

Dennis E. Taylor
08-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I used a real university and gave it a fictional summer session. Screw it, it was necessary.

Hoplite
08-22-2014, 08:12 PM
In one of my current WIPs, I have my MCs start their fall semester at a fictional university in Washington state on a Thursday (and I haven't even settled on a month yet). Is this plausible?

Also, would a fall semester start sometime in September?

What kind of information would a student ID contain?

You could have the Fall term start whichever day you like, if this is a fictional university; you could even have them use a trimester schedule. Most student ID's simply have name, student number, and a photo with the school name somewhere on the card.

Agree with King Neptune. I went to Washington State University (1.5hrs South of Spokane). I believe classes started in August, that should be easy enough to find on an academic calendar.

Our student IDs had our picture, name, ID#, and school logo. The IDs doubled as a debit card (attached to student meal plans; not actual bank account) for buying food at the dining facilities.

Kayley
08-22-2014, 09:05 PM
It depends on the school's location. Like Hoplite said, WSU starts in August; I went to the University of Washington Seattle and we start in September (after labor day.) Basically, western WA = September start and eastern WA = August start.

My student ID card at UW was called a Huskycard and it included my photo, full name, ID number (seven numbers long; no letters), and the "student" classification. The ID card also doubled as a UPass, which allowed us to get unlimited travel on public transportation by scanning our ID card when we boarded buses/trains. Instead, we were charged $75/quarter for UPass use. We could also load money on our ID cards to use for food and student store purchases.

That actually brings up another point - at UW, we were on a quarter system. I'm not sure about WSU. You can Google the academic calendar if you want to find exact dates. Starting on a Thursday is a bit odd IIRC, but it might make sense if labor day falls on the day before that year. It's probably fine either way, though; I doubt people will be that picky about it.

Hoplite
08-22-2014, 09:21 PM
My student ID card at UW was called a Huskycard and it included my photo, full name, ID number (seven numbers long; no letters), and the "student" classification. The ID card also doubled as a UPass, which allowed us to get unlimited travel on public transportation by scanning our ID card when we boarded buses/trains.

That actually brings up another point - at UW, we were on a quarter system. I'm not sure about WSU. You can Google the academic calendar if you want to find exact dates. Starting on a Thursday is a bit odd IIRC, but it might make sense if labor day falls on the day before that year. It's probably fine either way, though; I doubt people will be that picky about it.

Ah yes, our student IDs gave us unlimited local transportation as well (which didn't go very far in a small rural town, but good for those without cars).

WSU is on a semester system.

cmhbob
08-22-2014, 09:24 PM
I googled "example college IDs" and got these image results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=example+college+IDs&client=firefox-a&hs=21E&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=q3z3U97AMITQ8AG_54CADQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=657

Mark Moore
08-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

It depends on the school's location. Like Hoplite said, WSU starts in August; I went to the University of Washington Seattle and we start in September (after labor day.) Basically, western WA = September start and eastern WA = August start.

That's good to know. My university is in western WA.

The ID card also doubled as a UPass, which allowed us to get unlimited travel on public transportation by scanning our ID card when we boarded buses/trains.

Interesting. I might add that detail if needed. However, the father of one of my MCs had an elevated railway system built, and all of the family members and their close friends ride for free, so my MCs are covered in that regard.