New pages in WordPress

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to a bunch of friendy AWers, I created a blog on WordPress and played with it a bit.

I noticed that I could create new pages in my blog. I created a new page, added some content and then realised it is not listed in the form of a post. It's just a plain page.

Is it possible to use a newly created page as a blog where I can post something everyday? I think I already know the answer to my question, but wanted to know whether regular WordPress users have found a hack for this.

Thanks in advance,
Sanyuja

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
I believe the pages you are talking about are static pages - WP is moving towards becoming a full fledged CMS (Content Mangement System) and so they introduced this static page concept. You don't need the pages to post a blog entry. Simply write an entry, hit publish and it will appear on the default page for your domain or sub-folder. Or maybe that's not what you meant? :)

[Edit - adding a little more clarification since I don't usually use the WP interface to post entries]
If you're using WP 2.x, then under the Write menu in the WP interface, you have two options, Post and Page. The Post option lets you write a new post which goes on your blog, the Page option allows you to create a new static page which can be linked to (either from a post or from your site's side bar) and which contains static content for your site. Hope that helps? :)

Last edited:

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Well, not exactly. I should have been clearer.

Let me give you the exact problem I am facing. I want two pages: one, a blog where I will post about anything general and another one where I can post book reviews. I will update the first one on a daily basis whereas I will post something on a second page only when I read a book.

Currently, I can achieve this by just editing the (static) page 'Book reviews'. Two problems with this: information about when the post was created would be lost and users won't be able to comment on this on each post.

I can get around the first problem by putting the date while editing, but haven't figured out how to solve the second problem.

From a higher level, if I need a solution for my problem, I need two blogs?

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
sanyuja said:
From a higher level, if I need a solution for my problem, I need two blogs?

Ah, I see what you mean now :) And yes, the easiest way to get around the problem would be to have two blogs :p If you don't mind having the Book Reviews on the main page when you post them first, there is another work-around - to use categories. You can link to a separate page which has all posts for a given category and so, you can have the book reviews under one category but when you first post it, the book review will appear on your main blog page as well ... though there might be a plugin out there which might circumvent this ... I'll take a look at the plugins and let you know if it is possible :)

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I like your idea too. Either I can go with two blogs or go with your idea. Let me think about it.

Thanks a bunch, Fahim. Let me know if you find any useful plugin. Take your time, no hurry.

Thanks once again.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
sanyuja said:
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I like your idea too. Either I can go with two blogs or go with your idea. Let me think about it.

Sure thing :) I couldn't find a plugin which does exactly what was needed here but here's links to two of the most comprehensive WP plugin sites:
WP Plugin Database
WP Plugins

Hopefully, that'll give you some new cool toys to play with :)

Gooch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cinemafromage.com
Fahim, since you appear to be the resident WordPress expert, can I jump in here and ask another related question?

Do you know if it's possible, when you publish a post, to NOT have it go to the mainpage in wordpress, and just to post to the category?

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Gooch said:
Do you know if it's possible, when you publish a post, to NOT have it go to the mainpage in wordpress, and just to post to the category?

LOL. You know, this is just the thing I was trying to find out too since that would neatly solve the problem for sanyuja as well :) I have not needed to have an entry appear on the main page since I run a simple blog ... But I've been trying to find if this is possible. Will update you if I do find a solution ...

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Of course, if you want to do some messing with the template code, excluding a given category is rather easy :p However, I was trying to find a way to do this using a plugin or the administrative interface without having to get your hands dirty with code :) If you are interested in the code approach, I believe you can find the answer at the WordPress Codex - look under the section named Exclude Posts from Some Category.

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Fahim said:
Sure thing :) I couldn't find a plugin which does exactly what was needed here but here's links to two of the most comprehensive WP plugin sites:
WP Plugin Database
WP Plugins

Hopefully, that'll give you some new cool toys to play with :)
Thanks a lot, Fahim. I will definitely have a look at those sites and see if I find something interesting.