PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Etiquette Question

Dreity
08-21-2014, 09:41 PM
(Should this be in the tech forum? I don't know!)

So, I'm still pretty new to Twitter, and I'm trying to get a feel for the culture. I tend to scroll through my Twitter feed like I do my Facebook feed (3-4 times a day for about 10 minutes), but Twitter just moves so much faster. Often I'll read something I like and want to respond to, but like 15 or more hours have passed since the person tweeted it. On FB I wouldn't hesitate to reply, but on Twitter I assume they have already moved on. No one else seems to reply much later than the 1 hour mark, so I opt not to say anything. This means I'm not engaging as much as I would like.

Is there a point where the window of opportunity to respond has "passed"? Would it be better if I checked Twitter more frequently for much shorter periods of time?

KTC
08-21-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't think it matters when you reply to a tweet. I've had people reply to mine months after I posted them. Frequently, this happens with vacation stuff that I hashtag...others might not see the post until they are taking the same vacation, and they stumble upon mine...or some such thing. It's never too late. If you see something and you want to reply to it...by all means, do so. Interaction is interaction...

BenPanced
08-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Same thing on Facebook. I've seen posts pop up with the header "So-and-so liked this post from April!"

jvc
08-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Go ahead and reply whenever you see it. I've also had people reply to tweets of mine months later.

SWest
08-21-2014, 10:34 PM
I never mind if/when someone replies to something 'old'...the internet is kind of that way.

Of course, I hardly ever get Reply notifications from Twitter, so that also makes it hard to keep some conversations current.

:D

regdog
08-21-2014, 11:56 PM
It's never too late to be social

Dreity
08-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Well, the consensus is certainly reassuring. :)

Will now happily reply without feeling like I'm chasing after a bullet train.

Forbidden Snowflake
08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
I always reply even if it's days later :)