No, I'm not up early; I never went to bed...

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Just drove back from ER after thinking I had some spreading infection (have been experiencing all the symptoms of such since late Friday night), but which is actually multiple bug bites (the largest of which is 5" in diameter).

While the identity of the bug remains a mystery (which I will find, and upon whom will exact a most exquisite revenge), according to the doctor (who looked more like one of the custodial crew and spoke in monosyllabic grunts), they are bites of some kind.

Me: "What kind of bite grows after several days?"

Doctor: "I don't know."

Me: "What kind of bite leaves a mark 5" in diameter?"

Doctor: "I don't know. (beat) I'll be right back."

(Returns twenty minutes later; listens to me with doctory thing.)

Doctor: "I'd better give you an antibiotic, just in case."

(That truly inspired confidence.)

At a sum total of 19 words, I am waiting to eventually see how much per word I wind up paying this guy. $$$$$

An attendant tosses me a script. Makes me sign more paperwork than I see anywhere else in lifetime. Tells me to get out.

Walk up to the desk. Take a seat. Show ID. Sign even more paperwork.

Me: "Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost?"

Lady: "I don't know." (must be the company phrase)

Me: "Sure. I suppose you want to surprise me by mail, so I can have a heart attack and have to come back."

Lady: "I don't know."

(Okay, that last "I don't know" never actually happened. The rest is practically verbatim.)

Such is the cost of coincidentally experiencing all the symptoms of infection for nearly a week, while simultaneously having physical signs which mimic infection (but are actually bites of a yet undetermined "bug").

However, given what it might have been, I have no reason to complain.

I have slept four hours in the past 50 (or so) -- not one hour since awaking Wednesday morning, but I apparently do not have a life-threatening infection -- but was given some antibiotics by the janitor "just in case".

Isn't the world a fun place?

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes!

I am not a health care professional, just someone with similar experience. My mild overreaction to insect bites has, as I've grown older, become a huge overreaction, possibly allergic. I've been advised to pay attention to swelling affecting my throat, since I may have to carry emergency stuff if that begins happening.

I, too, have been to the doctor over what turned out to be an insect bite, my pinkie finger swelling so badly I could barely bend it. It didn't scare me until three days later when I started having numbness to the elbow. I overreact to mosquito bites (looks like somebody inserted a nickel under my skin) and non-venomous spider bites (generalized swelling of the area).

The odds of it being your body overreacting to whatever the bug injects before it takes your blood are good, and the antibiotics a harmless precaution which would help if any of the bites were swollen due to infection.

An antihistamine like Benedryl (the pill kind) can reduce the reaction, especially if you take it early. It can make you drowsy, though; I don't drive if I've taken it. Topical Benedryl gel can minimize pain and itch (but cannot be used with the oral version at the same time). Cold compress or ice help reduce or minimize the swelling.

And I'm serious about insect repellant when I spend time outside.

Do let us know what they end up charging you!

Maryn, sympathetic

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
An antihistamine like Benedryl (the pill kind) can reduce the reaction, especially if you take it early.

Thank you. :)

I have been taking a non-drowsy antihistamine for days.

Next step: Figuring out how I'm going to find the responsible "bug", then implementing my plan of annihilation, not only on the perpetrator, but his (or her) family, friends, and/or anyone else with whom he (or she) has ever associated. Yes, my plots of retaliation tend to resemble something devised by Bond villains -- or Wile E. Coyote. (I tend to be about as successful as they usually are, too.)
:guns:

Pop Quiz: What do Wile E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester the cat, Daffy Duck, and JimABassPlayer all have in common? :)

:e2hammer:

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Pop Quiz: What do Wile E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester the cat, Daffy Duck, and JimABassPlayer all have in common?

You all speak with a lisp? Oh! You all fail to get the good guy's goat.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seeking the spider that did that to me got my bedroom the cleanest it had been in years. When you finish locating and annihilating yours, feel free to seeks its relatives at my place.

Maryn, who literally got two mosquito bites--inside--since she wrote her post

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Actual diagnosis: Lyme disease. I knew it wasn't "bug bites".

As I've been saying longer than I can remember, just because someone's a pro, doesn't mean they know their job.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Actual diagnosis: Lyme disease. I knew it wasn't "bug bites".

As I've been saying longer than I can remember, just because someone's a pro, doesn't mean they know their job.

Well, Lyme disease is carried by bugs... or ticks, which are kind of like bugs, so they weren't that far off. (Sort of like that severed limb was caused by some sort of cut, so the diagnosis of "paper cut" wasn't that far off. ;) )

Seriously, though, that's cruddy, though at least you know what's wrong. Sometimes just having a name for it - knowing it's a real thing - helps.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it's more than simple bug bites. I don't know much about the prognosis or treatment of Lyme. Share what you care to, keep the rest private.

Maryn, curious while trying not to pry

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both.

The marks weren't bite marks, but some sort of skin reaction thing which happens in some cases, after the fact (and not at the site of the bite, but over the body; I had a total of 16) -- I don't know how long after the fact, but doctor was under impression that the onset is fairly recent.

Started antibiotics Thursday morning.

Today, most are disappearing quickly. Two largest (the first two I noticed) are fading quickly.

Doctor has no idea how it will effect me as I have already had all of the symptoms for years (from a multitude of other afflictions). Could be, I won't notice anything new (because I already experience all of the symptoms), or it could be they could be greatly intensified (bummer).

My greatest concern (which I didn't learn from doctor, but after the fact, online) is that apparently lyme increases the IgG count, making lyme a double-edged sword for me as I already have an elevated IgG count (MGUS). That is actually the potentially far worse part of this whole deal.

Thanks again, all. Anyone want to know any more, feel free to message me privately. :)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch - that's horrible. "Lyme Disease"was my first thought because we've had stories in the papers down here talking about how rampant it's becoming in the US. Sounds terrible!

Take care of yourself.

Last edited: