Audio-Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd try Amazon's audiobook option. Just signed up to get offers from producers (those who read the book for you in a studio, which hopefully will sound much better than when I hear my own recordings and cringe). I didn't specify what type of voice or a price, but I clicked on the hourly fee rather than royalties because it seems simpler and also I thought I might get more offers that way. I can also go through their listed producers and approach them but haven't gotten that far yet.

Has anyone done it? How did it go?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Keep in mind that ACX says it takes about 6 hours to produce one hour of audio. They will estimate how long your book will be by the word count, then you can multiply that by 6...and in my mind that gets expensive fast.

I'm working on audible version for both of my books. I listed the first one on ACX, and got about 15 auditions! They were awesome. It was hard saying no these talented people! However there was one voice in particular that I really liked for both books. Fortunately she is willing to do the commission split with me for both.

Once the files are complete, you submit them to ACX for review. It takes them about two weeks to review them. The first time the files didn't pass. I couldn't even hear what the problem was but my producer understood. We've just submitted the second time and should be hearing back for ACX any day now.

You will also need a new version of your cover. It has to be square. The dimensions are available at ACX. You can see my audio cover and listen to the "sample" of the audio book on my website if you want (link in my sig).

There is a really helpful thread here on ACX, by EngineerTiger that I highly recommend. You can find it here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250575

Good luck!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Leslie! :)

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I agree with parakeet. Seems like by-the-hour could get expensive quickly.
I've been mulling over getting this done as well, and looking into options. But then I realized something that may be even better.
I think I mentioned this once here, but I've been a mildly well-known personality on a certain image board for several years now. It helped me get a few sales when I launched, but the real benefit is that this culture I'm part of has given me several (2 dozen or more) aspiring and successful voice actors as friends and associates.
So I may tap this resource (paying up front and probably will split the commission as well). If I get positive results and it ends up being a better deal than other official sources, I'll definitely let you guys know. Could probably help a lot of self-pubbers out.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've contacted several narrators on Amazon's audio thing and no one has answered me, even though I said I'll pay their requested rates. I don't know what to think. Guess I'll just wait a few more days.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I've contacted several narrators on Amazon's audio thing and no one has answered me, even though I said I'll pay their requested rates. I don't know what to think. Guess I'll just wait a few more days.

Keep us updated! I'm interested to see how well their system for audio is set up.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I live in a big city with a lot of famous theaters, acting schools, etc... I have some friends who are actors. Voice work (voice over work) is pretty popular with them, because it's 100 times easier than regular scripted work. I would see if you can contact any agents or want-to-be voice actors in the nearest big town close to you. I agree that paying a flat rate would probably be cheaper in the end.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@plumone- Yeah, I'd rather pay a one-time payment and not be tangled up with someone else forever on it. Amazon calculated my book (50,000 words) to take 5.4 hours for the finished project, or $270 at $50 an hour. So that's what I'm offering, as a flat fee. Also, it sounds like the usual split is 40/60 so if I did it by percentage, they'd get 40% of every audio sold, and that's after Amazon takes their cut. So in the end, they'd be getting more for reading the audio version than I would for writing it.

However, I can see it being a good deal if someone doesn't have or doesn't want to spend the cash. At least it gets out there, right? Also, some of the audio people have their own following and can bring in more customers.

@Revan, I believe Amazon just provides a place for the authors and narrators to meet up with each other, so it's whatever equipment whoever you make a deal with has.

Someone answered me and says he'll be sending me a sample by tomorrow. I really like his voice but like I said, I already listened to audio samples anyway. I'm having people audition instead of just offering one of them the job mainly to get an idea of how they are to work with. Which is a good thing because I messaged a few people whose voices I liked and who list that they accept the deal I'm offering, but he's the only one who's answered so far.

Last edited:

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
@plumone- Yeah, I'd rather pay a one-time payment and not be tangled up with someone else forever on it. Amazon calculated my book (50,000 words) to take 5.4 hours for the finished project, or $270 at $50 an hour. So that's what I'm offering, as a flat fee. Also, it sounds like the usual split is 40/60 so if I did it by percentage, they'd get 40% of every audio sold, and that's after Amazon takes their cut. So in the end, they'd be getting more for reading the audio version than I would for writing it.

However, I can see it being a good deal if someone doesn't have or doesn't want to spend the cash. At least it gets out there, right? Also, some of the audio people have their own following and can bring in more customers.

I haven't heard of 40/60 splits; I always assumed that it was a flat rate and then the project was done. But, the 40/60 makes more sense. It seems like a good deal, especially if they have a following they can bring to your work.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
@plumone- Yeah, I'd rather pay a one-time payment and not be tangled up with someone else forever on it. Amazon calculated my book (50,000 words) to take 5.4 hours for the finished project, or $270 at $50 an hour. So that's what I'm offering, as a flat fee. Also, it sounds like the usual split is 40/60 so if I did it by percentage, they'd get 40% of every audio sold, and that's after Amazon takes their cut.

That might be why you are not getting any responses. The hourly rate is not just for how many hours the finished book will be, but the hours it takes to create it, which ACX estimates as about 5 or 6 hrs per completed hour. Or more simply put, your offer is vasty under paying.

The split is 50/50. ACX sets that; it can't be changed by the individuals involved.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I believe Amazon just provides a place for the authors and narrators to meet up with each other, so it's whatever equipment whoever you make a deal with has.

It's a bit more involved than that. For example, when your "producer" completes your files and you approve them, then ACX has to approve them as well. They are very particular. Mine has failed the "approval" test. I can't hear whatever it is that's making it fail, but my producer is on top of it, so it's just a matter of time. (So glad I didn't try to record it myself as I originally planned--I just don't have that set of skills.)

Then they take the money and pay both of you (if you have a royalty split).

They recommend you communicate via their website. My understanding is that this is so they can help if things go sideways.

My point is they are pretty serious about being part of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.