An arrow in the gut?

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorscottkaelen.wordpress.com
ETA: My story is epic fantasy, so it's setting is similar to middle Iron Age.

In the early chapters of my story, a character who might seem to be shaping up to become a major character gets an arrow fired into his midriff. He then, along with two companions, fights off the attackers.

My problem is two-fold:

1.) After the fight, I have the character (who is a stocky and muscular man) climb onto the back of a mule (with the assistance of his companions). My MC then leads the mule (which is not a riding animal) and the wounded man (who is going into shock, pale-faced, etc.) several miles to town. The other companion runs to bring help. After leading the mule a couple of miles, a wagon arrives with the other companion and an apothecary. They transfer the wounded man from the mule to the back of the wagon, then set off back to the town.

Does the above seem viable?

2.) The wound becomes infected and the man slips into a fever-induced sleep. The apothecary says the outcome could be touch and go, that he can do as much as he can with herbs and poultices, but ultimately the man's survival will depend on his will to live. It could take weeks or longer for him to recover. (This effectively puts him out of the picture, making room for my MC to take his place.)

Does this also sound viable?

Are there areas of the abdomen where being hit with an arrow would be fatal without modern medicine, or abdominal areas that are more 'favourable' for getting an arrow in the gut? I haven't yet gone into detail as to the placement of the arrow - left, right, centre, upper or lower abdomen. Nor do I (or the reader) know which, if any, organ has been penetrated.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I was researching gunshot wounds in the abdominal area, and came across this discussion from a 1903 issue of JAMA. It's talking about bullet wounds specifically, but a lot of the same issues should apply.

According to that, there's a huge difference between the mortality of wounds to the stomach and intestines depending on whether they're full or empty when the patient gets shot. Full=contents emptying into stomach cavity and almost immediate, often fatal, infection. Empty means the patient can be operated on even many hours later, and still live. Apparently, a perforated stomach (if empty when shot) will even heal on its own without surgical intervention.

Lots of fascinating detail at the link. You would have to think about how an arrow wound might differ from a bullet wound, but arrowheads come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you could probably craft a likely scenario where the wound is or isn't survivable as you please.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was researching gunshot wounds in the abdominal area, and came across this discussion from a 1903 issue of JAMA. It's talking about bullet wounds specifically, but a lot of the same issues should apply.

According to that, there's a huge difference between the mortality of wounds to the stomach and intestines depending on whether they're full or empty when the patient gets shot. Full=contents emptying into stomach cavity and almost immediate, often fatal, infection. Empty means the patient can be operated on even many hours later, and still live. Apparently, a perforated stomach (if empty when shot) will even heal on its own without surgical intervention.

Lots of fascinating detail at the link. You would have to think about how an arrow wound might differ from a bullet wound, but arrowheads come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you could probably craft a likely scenario where the wound is or isn't survivable as you please.
That is actually quite helpful... but unfortunate. The wounded guy hasn't eaten for perhaps 15 hours, which means the food would have passed through his small intestine but still many hours until it passes through his large intestine, which I'm guessing would rule out the large intestine as the wounded area, and therefore much of the abdomen.

It needs to be a serious wound that will take long to recover from, but not fatal. If any other areas in the torso would be more viable for my scenario, I'm open to all suggestions! :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know exactly but 15 hours might be enough to empty, depending upon what he is in the habit of eating. Maybe a dietary person can help here.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know exactly but 15 hours might be enough to empty, depending upon what he is in the habit of eating. Maybe a dietary person can help here.
Hehe, well, since I'm such a nerd for knowing lots of details the reader won't ever get to read, I know exactly what he ate. It was a chunk of bread (let's say wholemeal), a handful of berries, and two legs of an animal that's a carapaced amphibious monotreme. (Can't get more specific than that!)

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: My story is epic fantasy, so it's setting is similar to middle Iron Age.

In the early chapters of my story, a character who might seem to be shaping up to become a major character gets an arrow fired into his midriff. He then, along with two companions, fights off the attackers.

Battles are chaotic and fast-moving places. Maybe your guy gets gut-shot by an arrow but it's not a tv-friendly big wooden shaft sticking cartoonishl out of his belly, giving plenty of time for one last heroic speech. Instead, it's off to the side and penetrates the tough leather armor and rough-hewn shirt he's wearing to jam into the thick muscles of his oblique abdominals.

He's got an arrow in him, it's going to hurt but won't kill him outright and given how any reasonable fighter is going to be dodging and twisting and moving, a glancing shot like that is lucky to stick at all. Of course, trying to do anything with a big chunk of wood in you is going to be pretty tricky but I'm sure you can write around that.

Later, they'll try and pull or cut the arrow out and maybe bleed the wound a bit. Maybe slap some honey or other gross poultice on there that the local shaman/medicine man recommends. Lots of prayers happen and then he dies like a dog from the gross infected wound full of septic fibers from his shirt as well as general iron age uncleanliness.

If the arrow sticks in too far and penetrates into the abdominal cavity right away you're going to have an immediately fatal situation due to massive sepsis and gross stick-in-the-guts syndrome.

For a modern equivalent go talk to some bow hunters and ask them about bringing down deer. Sometimes you get lucky and they bleed a lot and drop in a few minutes. Other times you have a long long hike ahead of you trailing a wounded animal. Grim stuff.

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I would say it depends on where the person is hit. If hit in the stomach, you can have stomach acid coming out and causing damage. If the bowel is hit, infection is likely due to the contents spilling out. The size of the wound and depth plays a part too, being how much it'll bleed. Any organs that get shredded or hit can change the outlook, but if you get to a hospital soon enough, you can be safe from some pretty gnarly wounds, too. So if you want the character to die, you could make them die. If you want to live, then they can live. It's all in how you make it get them.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ehistory.freeservers.com/vol2/Arrow Wounds.htm

According to that doctor, and what I've picked up about gut wounds, his chances are pretty low. If you really want him shot in the torso and living, glancing blows will be far better than anything else. Maybe the arrow gets stuck in his clothing and keeps tearing and damaging the skin and upper fat and muscle layers, and he gets a surface infection after a few days. Those can be dealt with, and anyone looking would be going, "Holy shit, he's been shot in the stomach and he's still fighting!"

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lots of good points being made here; thanks guys.
It seems my problem lies in the either/or camp: either the arrow penetrates through to intestine/organ, in which case he's a goner, or it doesn't go deep enough and only sticks into muscle and fat, in which case the situation won't be anywhere near as bad as I want it to be. I don't want him to die, but to be on his deathbed for weeks, fighting the infection and fever.
Given the choice of recovering enough to join the others, or dying in short order, I'll have him die.

Let's forget about belly wounds for now; is there a placement of a fired arrow into a strong and otherwise healthy man's body that would result in weeks of infection-induced bed-ridden fever? That's the end result I'm aiming for, so I'm open to possibilities.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Infection can happen in any wound, and can be massively serious--in the sort of era you're talking about (pre-antibiotic, pre-knowledge of basic antiseptic procedures), it's incredibly likely. Look up sepsis (blood poisoning). You can shoot him anywhere you like. Hell, you can have him nick himself shaving.

Stomach still seems about perfect for what you want. The wound itself would potentially be survivable without surgery, but like any wound could easily infect--especially if the person who treated him didn't wash their hands before stitching up the hole or slapping on a poultice. Or take another peek at the link I gave you in my first post--the same article discusses chest wounds, which might give you another option.

But really, if all you need is an infection, anywhere is going to work.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I haven't seen this brought up, but if you get shot with an arrow anywhere in your body you are going to bleed. If this is as far back as you say, surgical techniques are non existant and the person will most likely bleed out because there is no way to stitch up the internal wounds. I doubt seriously that they would live long enough to get an infection if they take an arrow in the torso. Moving around during battle is just going to make this worse as every move the person makes the arrow head is just making more internal cuts.

What you need is an arrow to an extremity, ie... arm, leg.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm leaning towards the torso being just too fatal for a non-antiseptic, non-antibiotic era. Although... I do have a get-out clause with it being fantasy. Also, 'luck' plays a subtle part throughout the story, so would it be possible for an arrow to enter the abdomen but miss all vital organs and intestinal tract completely?

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the torso being just too fatal for a non-antiseptic, non-antibiotic era. Although... I do have a get-out clause with it being fantasy. Also, 'luck' plays a subtle part throughout the story, so would it be possible for an arrow to enter the abdomen but miss all vital organs and intestinal tract completely?

It *might* be possible, but it's really gonna bend the reader's suspensions of disbelief quite a bit, if not break it entirely.

The "common knowledge" is that a gut wound before antiboitics was always fatal. That may not be 100% true, but it's what a lot of people believe and expect, and it your going to go away from that you should have a good reason.

I'd give him a leg or thigh wound, personally. that will limit his mobility nicely and require time to heal, but doesn't have the problems associate with a gut or abdomen wound, both in terms of real world infection issues and organ damage issues and in terms of "what people expect" in terms of story.

EDIT: With a leg or thigh wound I'd also include the hip/pelvis as a possibility.

Last edited:

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Leg or hip would certainly put him out for a bit, but I'm pretty sure he'd continue on with the journey, especially since they could let him rest up in the wagon for the first day, then aboard ship for a day or two. After that he'd be back in his homeland where he'd have access to a better physician.
I'm wondering... killing him off might be okay. I wasn't going to use him again until the second or third book in the series, but... I feel a bit like if I kill him off, it'll seem like I've done so for convenience sake.
Maybe the arrow should take him between chest and shoulder instead, out of the way of organs, but more serious and longer-enduring than a leg wound perhaps.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
My advice: Kill him off. That helps the reader get the idea that "no one is safe," which you can use to your advantage later.

This is getting past answering a specific question though so I'll just leave that there and stop now.

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Getting an arrow in the leg sounds pretty likely in the heat of battle. He's not likely to have strong enough armor there (leather or otherwise) and it's a big meaty muscle that can still half function if you get something stuck in it. It hurts, as soon as the adrenaline wears off he's likely to just collapse for a while till he gets it treated and it can develop into a fatal or non-fatal septic wound at your discretion.

It's reasonable that he gets an infection and it lays him low. The gods alone can tell whether he will live or die based on their whims. If you want him to live then his body will fight off the infection eventually. He'll have a high fever and be totally out of his head and on total bedrest during this time. He better have a loving family or a rich patron that needs him around because he'll need frequent care. Coming out of it he'll probably have a fairly gnarly scar at the point of entry, a bit of a limp till the muscle heals and a healthy hatred for archers.

It *can* be a crippling injury but doesn't have to be if the wound is fairly shallow. A deep puncture wound is most likely to go septic and kill him dead of blood poisoning or gangrene - take your pick.

Medically, with the latest and greatest in Iron Age tech he has a pretty minimal chance of coming out of it. People were getting stabbed by those damn iron swords and spears in that era and the doctors/medicine men and women would have had an array of gross-smelling roots and poultices and icky things to slather on there because their grandpappy once did that and the Chief's son lived so clearly this treatment plus the will of the gods will let your dude live.

Don't bother with amputation stuff, he'd just die from that. It wasn't till the Civil War that amputation was a reasonable gamble.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alexander the Great survived, barely, an arrow through the lung in one of his battles in India, but it was touch-and-go for some time and had a lasting impact on his health.

There's an interesting book about arrows and arrow wounds that may have good information for you: "The Lightning Stick: Arrows, Wounds and Indian Legends" by H. Henrietta Stockel.
Thanks for this link. That'll come in handy for my research.
I think I've got a good, wide range of info and insight now. I'm going to forget about an arrow in the gut, and go with the thigh instead, maybe the top of the thigh close to the groin, but away from the artery. Infection and fever should lie him low for weeks, but the reader won't know anything about that because he's not the MC, so we're not following his progress after the first day or two.
Thanks again, everyone. :)