What does your pet know that drives you crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My little fur baby has this uncanny ability to know when to come running. It drives me crazy! There is no possible way to just sit down and open a bag of chips, a candy bar or popsicle without having her sitting at your feet panting. We call it the curse of the crinkly paper.

This dog can be asleep on my bed and if I make the slightest sound with a wrapper, she is in here in a second, posed and smiling. I have to be all sneaky-like by taking that candy bar, opening it and then leaving it on the counter. She'll come running and when she sees me without anything in my hand, she goes back to the bed. Then I can go back and eat it later. She also knows styrofoam containers that we take home from restaurants. She knows there are cuts of meat or rib bones in there and she knows they are for her.

What sounds or sights do you wish your pet didn't know?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ha! My pet knows the same sound as yours! But she also knows the sound of someone walking in the kitchen, which makes her come running. And there's no fooling her by hiding the candy, she can smell it so she won't leave you alone. She also knows that if she begs and puts a lost-puppy face she will be given candy.

And she knows the sound of mom's footsteps, so she runs to meet mom and leaves me alone when I'm playing with her.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Walking to the stairs. If I'm upstairs going downstairs, I've learned to stop as soon as I hear the pounding of cat feet behind me. Both of my cats insist on running down the stairs ahead of me, so it's safer to let them pass by. My cats weigh 12 and 14 pounds (all muscle) and sound like elephants running down the hallway.

I've also learned to slow down when walking into my bedroom. My 14 pound cat likes to be petted while he's standing on the bed. Only problem is, he launches himself onto the bed from about six feet away. Kind of like watching an orange furry ballistic missile fly by. So far he hasn't knocked me over, but he's come close.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Both of my cats insist on running down the stairs ahead of me, so it's safer to let them pass by.
Oh that is SO funny!!!

Sinner does a couple of versions of that, too. She lays under my feet when I am on the computer. As soon as I move to get up, so does she. She and I start walking at the same time, but she takes 3-4 steps and stops, invariably tripping me (you can't teach an old ma new tricks, I guess). When I wake up in the morning, I dread getting out of bed because she does the same thing. As soon as my feet hit the floor, she jumps down. I walk, she walks and then stops dead. I can't tell you how many times I have fallen into the door frame because she stopped and I tripped.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The foster cat I have right now knows how to open the kitchen cabinets and crawl inside where the clean pots and pans are.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My cats know when it's 5:30 am. I wish they knew when it was 7:00.

What I don't understand is why two of them come running at the sound of the can opener. Those two have gotten their food from pull-top cans all their life. :Shrug: It makes no sense to me that the 'can opener noise' means something to them.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
My cats have an uncanny way of knowing when I'm using the can opener. Usually, it's because they want tuna... but any can. I could be as quiet as possible and they could be in the back of the apartment, but they just *know*.

Then they come out and it's 'mroowwwww....' at the top of their lungs.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
What does your pet know that drives you crazy?

My dog knows where the bodies are buried, which really bugs me because whenever I grill out a steak, he gives me that look, that smug self-satisfied look that says: "Now, you're not gonna leave your buddy out are ya?" with all its implications of his dangerous knowledge.

Let's not even talk about my fish, who quotes lines from The Godfather to me...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
One of my kitties is obsessed with drinking running water from the bathroom tub, particularly in the morning right before my shower. Anywhere in the apartment, she comes running when I turn on the bathroom light (which automatically starts a ceiling fan/vent thingie).

Silly puss....

Puddle Jumper

Carole said:
My little fur baby has this uncanny ability to know when to come running. It drives me crazy! There is no possible way to just sit down and open a bag of chips, a candy bar or popsicle without having her sitting at your feet panting. We call it the curse of the crinkly paper.

This dog can be asleep on my bed and if I make the slightest sound with a wrapper, she is in here in a second, posed and smiling. I have to be all sneaky-like by taking that candy bar, opening it and then leaving it on the counter. She'll come running and when she sees me without anything in my hand, she goes back to the bed. Then I can go back and eat it later. She also knows styrofoam containers that we take home from restaurants. She knows there are cuts of meat or rib bones in there and she knows they are for her.

What sounds or sights do you wish your pet didn't know?
Lucky, I have trouble keeping my pup off me when I get something to eat, she likes jumping on me. I'm not sure how to break her of this habit.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Serenity said:
they just *know*.

I *know* every time dad opens a bottle of wine :D The moment the cork is out of the bottle, I 'magically' appear there to get my share :D He calls me 'genie' because I appear every time he opens a bottle.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
4:30 a.m. The darn thing would always climb up, push her head on my face and demand to be patted. 4 frigging 30 in the morning.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
My dog reads my thoughts. . . we communicate through hand gestures and and clicking noises. . .

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
My three cats respond to my words, "Treats, anyone?" They know that word quite well. But what really brings them running is the sound of an eggshell cracking. They love their (farmers' market raw) egg yolks, and their shiny coats prove that.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
My dog used to steal food off the counter when it got left out by accident. One day we came home to a bunch of peach pits, all completely picked clean, lying on the floor, not to mention the bunch of grapes -- only the stems were left. He must've picked them all off one by one.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
e2cat.gif
My cat can open a door by jumping up and with both paws, simultaneously turning the knob. Seriously! Of course, our home is 100-plus years old and these are old fashion glass knobs with a texture feel to them. And the doors don't latch all that great. But still, its amazing how she can do that. It usually takes her three or four tries but she'll get it.

My dog can sniff anything out when we play hide and seek. We'll have her play with a ball (or stuffed animal or old shoe, etc.) and then hide it. Then we have such fun as she runs around looking for it. And she always finds it - and start howling. (even when we hide it inside a box or under a bed)
:snoopy:
Same dog, howls when my daughters play their musical instruments - especially the high notes. I say it hurts her ears, they say she's singing along.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
Lucky, I have trouble keeping my pup off me when I get something to eat, she likes jumping on me. I'm not sure how to break her of this habit.

Turn around and walk away. Completely ignore her until you're finished. Keep walking away if she keeps jumping up.

When you are ready, call her to you and reward her.

They get the hint really fast and soon you'll have a dog who rests beside you while you eat in peace.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
My cat sits on the keyboard when I'm typing, is in front of the screen when I'm looking at stuffs and sits on my book when I'm reading.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should be thankful that Sinner doesn't jump on me. It's annoying, the way she stares though. It always makes me feel like she is thinking, "Momma...where's mine? I mean...you have food...dada has food...but you didn't give me any....don't you LOVE me, momma? *whimper*"

She really is a naughty girl. I learned fast not to leave my plate with her in the room. Once I got up to go to the fridge to grab a Pepsi and when I came back she had inhaled a whole slice of pizza - and was licking the plate. Last week I had a Tupperware container half full of Oreos sitting on the ottoman when I went to work. Either I didn't have it sealed or she is a very talented dog. I came home to an empty container. I've heard from so many people that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. If it's poisonous to dogs, mine apparently has some kind of immunity. She has stolen so much chocolate!!!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I've also got a cat that opens doors. When we got our puppy she was less than thrilled. The puppy isn't allowed outside of the living room. One day I was in the shower and the cat was on her cat stand, dog being his usually hyper-pup self. I had shut all the doors and checked them before I got in the tub. When I got out I heard someone tearing the heck out of the upstairs. The cat had opened the door, let the noisy dog out and then climbed back on her perch...as if nothing happened.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mine know how to open doors. And that's not the real problem. But they know to open doors and come in and sit on the bed at the most... well... personal moments. Just sitting there, like buddhas, with questioning eyes: "Hey, you two, watcha doing?"

Ugh, buddy, what do you think we're doing?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
My evil Siamese could open all the doors at the old house. They haven't figured out the new house ... *yet* They also love the sound of the can opener, even though they've only ever eaten dried food. They open cabinets to find their treats or various other food stuffs they may want. They can get into ANYTHING. We lock them in the basement while we're not home, otherwise we'd come home to empty kitchen cabinets and lots of triscuits, cereal, and cookies on the floor.

Oh, and what's up with them digging out any houseplant and eating the roots off of them? They're not content to make it look bad by chewing on the leaves. They have to kill the suckers by eating off the roots! Evil kitties! Evil kitties!

Status
Not open for further replies.