Feed my character in the savanna

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hi people,

My character is in the middle of the savanna, during the rainy season. He needs to eat, but I don't want him stalking an antelope or killing a monkey (eating monkeys kind of squicks me). What else can he eat there? From searches, I've gathered that acacia flowers and wild melons can be found in those regions, and are edible, but is there any other kind of small animal which could be trapped or snared?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The African savanna? Lots of edible stuff there. Grass seeds, baobab fruit, wild honey, plenty of lizards (including monitors), ground squirrels, porcupines and small antelope. What about collecting ostrich eggs or raiding the communal nests of weaver birds (see last two photos here)?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The African savanna? Lots of edible stuff there. Grass seeds, baobab fruit, wild honey, plenty of lizards (including monitors), ground squirrels, porcupines and small antelope. What about collecting ostrich eggs or raiding the communal nests of weaver birds (see last two photos here)?

Thanks for that link, Helix, I enjoyed it... and wow, if I can work those giant nests into the story somehow I'll do so. Also must have an ostrich eggshell container somewhere.

I think I'll go with the ground squirrels. Just read up about them and the Cape ground squirrel is active during the day, which is when my character needs to find some food. Thanks for your help!