Ireland: No abortion for suicidal young rape victim, forced premature c-section delivery instead

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/ireland-woman-forced-caesarean-pregnant-rape-friend

An unnamed suicidal young rape victim immigrant to Ireland was not only denied the abortion she begged for, she was forcibly given a Caesarean section after attempting to appeal to a recent law Ireland passed allegedly to protect people in her very circumstances.

The case is the first proper test of Ireland's 2013 Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, which allows for abortions in Irish hospitals in limited circumstances.

The law provides for cases where the woman's life would be in danger if the pregnancy goes to full term, or in cases where she is suicidal in such instances as rape and incest.

Critics say that in this instance the law has proved of no practical value to the woman concerned.

The guidelines mean that women seeking an abortion could need approval from up to seven experts.

Her friend confirmed that the woman had first asked for a termination when she was eight weeks pregnant.

After the woman threatened a hunger strike to protest against the decision, local health authorities obtained a court order to deliver the baby prematurely – at around 25 weeks, according to some reports – to ensure its safety. The infant has been placed in care.

It is unclear just how young the victim is, but given that the baby had to be delivered by Caesarean section, I wonder if she is even fully grown yet.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
25 weeks is significantly premature and the baby will need several weeks in an ITU cot and may still come out handicapped. I don't see how this ensure its safety.

TheMathematician

Technical Writing Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
25 weeks is significantly premature and the baby will need several weeks in an ITU cot and may still come out handicapped. I don't see how this ensure its safety.

In the whacky world of the religious pro-lifers, a severely handicapped child is still preferable to an abortion.

And assuming that he lives till the ripe old age of eighteen, those same pro-lifers will then complain that the state is spending too much money in regards to his care.

They are a nasty bunch of religious zealots.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is barbaric. Rape is barbaric, forcing the victim to remain pregnant against her will is barbaric, the unneeded c-section is barbaric, putting the fetus at great risk of death anyway and almost certain risk of severe handicaps is barbaric.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
"….forcibly given a Caesarean section"

FORCIBLY given a Cesarean section.

FORCIBLY.

I'm trying to wrap my head around a country, (other than some backwards hellhole where women have less worth than the cattle they tend) that would FORCIBLY give a woman an operation AGAINST her will.

This makes me infuriated and shocked and saddened, that a supposedly civilized country did this. Can you imagine if this was your wife/daughter/niece, and she was in effect being held hostage by her own government and then operated on?

Unbelievable.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
This makes me infuriated and shocked and saddened, that a supposedly civilized country did this. Can you imagine if this was your wife/daughter/niece, and she was in effect being held hostage by her own government and then operated on?

Unbelievable.

It's not even her own government. From the story:

A friend of the woman told the Irish Times the woman, an immigrant, became pregnant after being raped in her own country.

She was raped elsewhere, immigrated to Ireland, and then found she was pregnant.

It would be be wrong of us to assume she'd have been any better served elsewhere. Still, Ireland is not where this all began for her.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Some background.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...avita-Halappanavar-official-report-finds.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24463106

Ireland passed the 2013 Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, a reformed law about abortion in July of last year after international outcry about the horrifying death of Savita Halappanavar in October 2012.

Dr. Haplappanavar, a dentist, died in Ireland of a massive infection after a prolonged and excruciatingly painful natural miscarriage.

Irish doctors and nurses had refused to abort the doomed fetus to spare Dr. Halappanavar, telling Dr. Halappanavar (a Hindu) that Ireland was "a Catholic country."

Ireland has extraordinarily strict anti-abortion laws. Between 1861 and 1992 all abortions no matter the reason were illegal, punishable by hanging.

After the international outcry during the shocking and shameful case of 1992 when a suicidal 14-year-old Irish rape victim was blocked from leaving Ireland in order to obtain an abortion elsewhere, Ireland moderated its laws somewhat, allowing that perhaps abortions might be permissible if the mother was likely to die otherwise. Maybe.

Still, not a single woman in Ireland met the requirements for decades after that law was on the books.

In the years since, Ireland's abortion laws have remained an unholy mess of contradiction, vagueness, and impossible hurdles, such that its first legal abortion was only performed less than a year ago, immediately after the publication of the report on Dr. Halappanavar's death.

At the time of Dr. Halappanavar's death the laws seemed to say that one could not abort a live unviable (too young to survive outside the womb) fetus for any reason whatever, so the doctors and nurses waited for days until they could no longer hear a fetal heartbeat, overlooking the signs of maternal distress.

By the time the fetus was verifiably dead, Dr. Halappanavar was well on her way to a horrible death from infection.

None of this is to say that Irish women don't already get abortions at a good clip. If one is not poor, sick, suicidal, or a child, if one can afford it, one can easily get an abortion by discreetly traveling to the UK.

And Irish legislators know it, which is why they have never screwed up the courage to pass humane abortion laws that might upset some of their constituents. There is enough of a pressure release valve for the wealthy and comfortable who need abortions.

The poor, the sick, the suicidal, and children, however, suffer and die for the Irish pretense of sinlessness.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
"….forcibly given a Caesarean section"

FORCIBLY given a Cesarean section.

FORCIBLY.

I'm trying to wrap my head around a country, (other than some backwards hellhole where women have less worth than the cattle they tend) that would FORCIBLY give a woman an operation AGAINST her will.

Unbelievable.

In theory she agreed to it.

In practice it was after they were going to force-feed her to end her hunger strike and suicide attempt.

So it's kind of difficult to see it as not coerced.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone in the vicinity know if there's a charitable endeavour or some group that arranges cheap r/t flights to England for Irish women who want abortions?

I can't with the story.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone in the vicinity know if there's a charitable endeavour or some group that arranges cheap r/t flights to England for Irish women who want abortions?

I can't with the story.

Yes there is. Here's a Guardian piece written by a woman who runs one such charity- a link to the charity is contained within the article:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/ireland-abortion-law-failing-women

I don't even know what to say about the OP. Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to women's reproductive rights and autonomy. Hopefully change is on the horizon.

TheMathematician

Technical Writing Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
Yes there is. Here's a Guardian piece written by a woman who runs one such charity- a link to the charity is contained within the article:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/ireland-abortion-law-failing-women

I don't even know what to say about the OP. Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to women's reproductive rights and autonomy. Hopefully change is on the horizon.

It's highly doubtful that change will occur any time soon in Ireland primarily because the Catholic church has a stranglehold over many parts of the Irish population.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
It's highly doubtful that change will occur any time soon in Ireland primarily because the Catholic church has a stranglehold over many parts of the Irish population.

When those in the North claim their reluctance to ever join the South is because it's 'ruled from Rome', they do have a point; one that gets forgotten by those whose familiarity with 'The Troubles' comes mostly from U2 songs or Hollywood films.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

When those in the North claim their reluctance to ever join the South is because it's 'ruled from Rome', they do have a point; one that gets forgotten by those whose familiarity with 'The Troubles' comes mostly from U2 songs or Hollywood films.

But is that entirely it? Italy is, by all reports, just as strongly Catholic a country, and I cannot recall having heard stories like this from there.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I just did a quick search and Wikipedia says that 91% of all primary schools in Ireland are Catholic (with the rest run by various Protestant or other religious groups). I was a bit astonished by this- for some reason I had assumed Ireland had modernized it's education system at some point along the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

And some interesting statistics regarding public opinion on abortion in Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

A couple of the polls that stood out for me:

"A September 2004 Royal College of Surgeons survey for the Crisis Pregnancy Agency found that, in the under-45 age groups, 51% supported abortion on-demand, with 39% favouring the right to abortion in limited circumstances. Only 8% felt that abortion should not be permitted in any circumstances."

"January 2010 Irish Examiner/Red C online poll found that 60% of 18–35-year olds believe abortion should be legalised, and that 10% of this age group had been in a relationship where an abortion took place. The same survey also showed that 75% of women believed the morning-after pill should be an over-the-counter (OTC) drug, as opposed to a prescription drug."

Not all the polls reflect such a progressive attitude, however I get the sense that public opinion in Ireland is limping slowly forward.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
But is that entirely it? Italy is, by all reports, just as strongly Catholic a country, and I cannot recall having heard stories like this from there.

AFAIK Italy has a secular public education system, which imo makes a world of difference. Abortion has been legal for some time in Italy. In fact I believe I once read it has the lowest birth rate in the EU.

ETA: Italy also has a much bigger economy, is more industrialized, the population more urban. I suspect all these may be factors as well.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/18/ireland-woman-forced-caesarean-pregnant-rape-friend

An unnamed suicidal young rape victim immigrant to Ireland was not only denied the abortion she begged for, she was forcibly given a Caesarean section after attempting to appeal to a recent law Ireland passed allegedly to protect people in her very circumstances.

It is unclear just how young the victim is, but given that the baby had to be delivered by Caesarean section, I wonder if she is even fully grown yet.

They had to do a C-section, because they probably felt it was safer than inducing labor this early in the pregnancy. This is very premature, and the baby will require lots of care and likely have lifelong medical issues.

One does wonder why they'd pass such a law if they're not going to allow women and health care providers to follow it.

Last edited: