Smashwords Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone (Again!),

Could you tell me your experiences with Smashwords. At first, I wasn't too keen on using them, but looking it over again, they seem to solve a few of my problems, making my ebooks have a more professional flare, without taking a lot of funds (which I definitely don't have) or time (the little bit I have could be spent writing).

1- They provide an ISBN

2- They can make my ebook available through multiple vendors without much work from me, thus- more exposure; I would supplement it with epubbing on Amazon/Kindle myself since they don't

Plus- I wasn't even considering Apple or Kobo, only Kindle/Nook. Bonus!

3- Would they be listed as the publisher? This would look more professional rather than my name as the publisher, or a made up, unregistered/unincorporated publishing "company"

I've already done a lot on my own- my own cover, editing, etc, and I'm just looking to FINALLY get it self-published, after spending so many years trying to get an agent and go the traditional route. I really just want to get my ebook out there...so...

Got any anecdotes, positive/negative experiences with Smashwords you'd like to share? Many thanks, guys! :Hug2:

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
First, let me preface my comments by saying I didn't go with Smashwords for various reasons.

However, I believe that if they provide the ISBN, it'll show up as being published by them. My first publication, I went through CreateSpace and used one of their ISBNs. When I looked at the B&N listing for the print book, it showed it as having been published by CreateSpace.

If you're considering print, look at CreateSpace. You can purchase an ISBN through them for $10, and it'll show up as having been published by whatever you say it's published by. It's a really good price for a single ISBN, and you can use it anywhere.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I've thought about print, BUT, I designed my own cover. I am not, by any means, an expert designer, but I have OCD, and that helps quite a bit! :) I don't know how to create side and back matter for the cover. I'd hate to commit even more time to learning this. :\ This is my barrier, otherwise, you're suggestion would be awesome.

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using software like GIMP (which is free), there are tutorials on how to build a cover. CreateSpace will even develop a free template for your book.

For what it's worth, the only image I have on my print version is the cover (much like what you've already done), then solid on the spine and back. The back matter for this book is just the blurb, who took the photo for my cover, who helped me render it, and my publishing company name. Above the UPC code, I put the ISBN and price.

Basically, I took a trade paperback and tried to mimic it. It was actually kind of easy. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Your book will be listed as a Smashwords edition on other sites (and you're supposed to add those words to the front matter too). I wouldn't say it makes a book look any more or less professional. The big thing with Smashwords is they send the book out for you, including to places you couldn't submit alone. The free ISBN is also nice. But looking professional isn't really a concern here.

I've not had any big issues with Smashwords. They've been prompt when I've needed stuff done. Kobo is another matter, and I've stopped my books being distributed to them for now. I don't appreciate having to contact Smashwords support every week with yet another issue with Kobo (and I'm sure Smashwords will be relieved if I don't have to do that too).

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check out D2D.

Out of curiosity, do you Smashwords users use their style guide? Or do you just upload and see what needs fixing?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks. I'll check out D2D.

Out of curiosity, do you Smashwords users use their style guide? Or do you just upload and see what needs fixing?

I formatted my my smashword content based on the formatting guide they provided, then uploaded it. It's fairly easy to do if you have a basic short story/novel, though it can be a bit time consuming.

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
I go with Smashwords to get my stories the best exposure (then upload to Kindle Direct directly later on) because my time is limited and they offered the best deal for the time I had to dedicate to publishing my short stories. The style guide was easy to read, follow, and use. I have no trouble with either the publisher, my ebook, the other formats, or anything else. I am very happy with the services and am grateful they exist.

Now, since I write short stories and erotica and Smashwords is basically a depository for those types of works - so I am reaching my "target" audience - I can't say how it will work for other authors/books. Also, having said all this, when I finally get my short stories ready for a large anthology, I am going all print through CreateSpace.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I uploaded epubs directly, so didn't initially read the style guide. This was a mistake. A lot of it doesn't apply for epub uploads, but some of it does. It doesn't take long to skim and find those parts.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
I used Smashwords and found it fairly easy to upload my doc to. My only hiccup was I was uploading the wrong kind of doc file. They want just .doc and my version of Word saves as .docx once I re-saved it uploaded no problem and cleared their premium catalog requirements. It's made distributing to Apple and places like that easier and for my next book I will have them do the upload to Nook as well because I had so many problems with that system.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
This is all great info. Thanks so much. It sounds like Smashwords saves time, which is something I really need because writing is part-time for me, aside from my others jobs- full-time work, mom wife. :)

Thank you all for the info. These forums are such a great source of support and advice. :snoopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.