I need a fatal wound

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I need a character to be mortally wounded, to know that she is dying, but be able to hang on for a few minutes to talk and say goodbye.

As for the weapon, well . . . the killer is a sorcerer who can open slashing and stabbing wounds by pointing at people, so there's no exact equivalent. I'm thinking gut wound.

Suggestions?

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
A gut wound should do it. She would have to bleed out and that would take time enough for her to say goodbye -- plus bleeding out always makes a dramatic death, but I'm not sure if she would last a few MINUTES. She would be probably vomiting some blood if we want to be realistic.

A stab to the lung isn't immediately fatal either...

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they basically drown in their own blood...It does the trick but I don't think a person drowning in their own blood will have the time or the brains to say goodbye, unless it's a somewhat minor injury that will fill her lungs slowly.

This is getting creepy, hahaha.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
The gut slash would be better. I knew someone who died from a blood vessel in a lung bursting, and she managed to say that there was a problem and that was it, because she couldn't talk through the blood.

Last edited:

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
I agree-- a wound in the belly can be fatal but lingering. Dan Brown had a good description of the process in "The Da Vinci Code" and also Diana Gabaldon in one of the Outlander books.

RJ_Beam

Registered
Reaction score
Gut shot yes would be the best. Area of the liver would be best to ensure it is deadly but still give the person the ability to talk. Also the liver is the filter system for blood so lots bleeding when any damage to that organ.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Poison might work. The victim gets progressively sicker, realizing at some point he/she has been poisoned and will likely die. Depending on the poison used, it could take anywhere from minutes to hours to days.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Poison might work. The victim gets progressively sicker, realizing at some point he/she has been poisoned and will likely die. Depending on the poison used, it could take anywhere from minutes to hours to days.

No, I need it to happen in the climactic battle.

I guess I'm going with a gut wound.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I remember a medical show once (Saint Elsewhere?) where a person was in a vehicle accident and took at major blunt force trauma to the chest. It bruised the heart so badly that, eventually, it couldn't beat. They figured it out when the person went into arrest, awoke during CPR and went unconscious again. Eventually, they had to let the patient die because they couldn't get the heart to start beating on its own again.

I don't know if you can do something with that, but I've always thought that was an especially tragic moment.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
A leg wound that cut the femoral artery would do it.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that would bleed out without immediate medical attention will work here. Lung damage makes speaking very hard. In my current work, which doesn't involve sorcerers, I use a gunshot wound in the upper chest for a similar scene. Aorta, aortic arch, etc. are there. The aorta runs the length of the body and can be hit in the lower abdomen too. The Vena Cava runs through the abdomen as well, and may provide a longer time frame. 5-10 minutes would be believable either way.

Jeff

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
It takes about 5 minutes for someone to bleed out from slashing the femoral artery. Takes even less time to bleed out from aorta damage.

A stab to the chest that didn't hit a major vein/artery can cause something called a pneumothorax, or air caught between the lungs and the chest wall. This prevents a person from actually drawing air into the lungs. It develops relatively slowly--not immediately--so death without treatment could take 20 minutes or so. Talking is still possible with this, at least for the first few minutes.

A gut would could kill, but how it kills depends on where you're stuck. For example, if you get hit in the liver or spleen, then bleeding out can occur, and probably takes about 15 minutes or so, depending on how severe the laceration is. Hit in the distal aorta (the part that runs thru the abdomen) and bleed out can be in a couple minutes. If you only hit the stomach, or lacerate an intestine, death occurs more from infection from gut leakage than from bleeding, and can take days or even longer. Horrible way to die, by the way.