How important is the paper?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
As I continue to seek an agent, I am sending both emails and snail mail queries.

Regarding snail mail etiquette, I have read that you are supposed to use plain, white, but good quality paper.

The snail-mail query I sent out yesterday used my last pieces of good, resume-type paper. All I have left is my plain-old 20 lb white generic copy paper.

I don't feel like driving out to Staples to buy expensive paper. Is it OK just to use my generic white paper? Most of the snail mail queries I've sent out using the expensive paper have been rejected anyway. (The rest are still pending reply.) Would an agent reject a good query printed on un-fancy paper?

allen

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Don't sweat it. I used to. I've had positive responses even when I use plain ol' 20 lb, multipurpose, paper. The brighter paper (say, 94 brightness) is easier on the eye, but when you don't have it, don't worry. The 20 lb. also saves a little on postage, depending on the amount of paper you're mailing.

Give your wallet a break.:)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Paper

Paper isn't critical, but good paper in a good envelope can make an agent or editor reach for that query first, and good impressions are not always made on a conscious level.

I've done test mailings where the same query was sent using Wal-Mart speccial paper, and a very light cream colored envelope and paper, and the high quality cream received about 20% more positive responses.

Paper is not critical, but anything that attracts attention, that says you really care, without being gaudy or over the top, can give you a slight edge.