High-school football recruitment timeline

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, apparently Google can't help me out with this one because I'm looking for information from 1999. In the 1998-1999 school year, my MC's boyfriend is a junior and a no. 1 football star at a high school in extremely rural backwater Kansas (sorry Kansas residents :tongue). He's an iffy student but a good enough player that football schools are looking into giving him a sports scholarship. However, on a sheer practicality level, how does this work? When does the process begin? How long does it last? When would he know - with general applications, or earlier?

Sorry to make two "help me" threads in one day, but the Internet has failed me and reps for everyone as usual!

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
There might be some information in this thread I started a while back that could help you.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277933&highlight=football

If he's good, he should have been sending tape to schools and know that recruiters are interested. Definitely by junior year should there be some schools singling him out ... that process isn't quite clear to me either.

If you want a good (YA fiction) book (or rather trilogy) about high school sports and recruiting read, The Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. The MC starts getting recruited for basketball in the third book, but her brothers already play college football, soooo it might help.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
The rules haven't changed significantly since then, just some tweaks. There weren't quite as many scouting services then but not many players slipped through the cracks, no matter where they played.

If he played for a small school, he would have had a difficult time getting a scholarship from any top school, as accomplishments there were against lesser talent. Quite frankly, I'd concentrate more on him 'walking on' at a school he wanted to go to, detailing on how he got someone, not connected with the college, to pay his experiences for the first year and his struggle to get admitted as a regular student.

You probably found what the NCAA permits now ... just go with that as VERY few people would pick up on the minutia of the changes.