PDA

View Full Version : Can Blogger make categories?

MadScientistMatt
03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Is there any way I can get my blog on Blogspot to have categories with their own index pages? I wish to rig it so that I can have all of my posts on a particular topic be accessible from one page. Right now I'm doing this by hand - I have special posts where I cut and paste the URL's of all my posts on the topic. Is there a way I can automate this? Or would I have to move up to something more powerful?

Marilyn Braun
03-22-2006, 02:32 AM
I don't think Blogger has that capability. I know that wordpress does - it's great.

Medievalist
03-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Is there any way I can get my blog on Blogspot to have categories with their own index pages? I wish to rig it so that I can have all of my posts on a particular topic be accessible from one page. Right now I'm doing this by hand - I have special posts where I cut and paste the URL's of all my posts on the topic. Is there a way I can automate this? Or would I have to move up to something more powerful?

Blogger doesn't do categories; you need MovableType or WordPress or TypePad for that.

sthrnwriter
03-22-2006, 09:46 AM
No Blogger doesn't have a category option but you can add categories to your blog manually. Here's an article (http://weblogs.about.com/od/bloggercom/f/bloggercats.htm) to show you how or at least, steer you in the right direction.

Marilyn Braun
03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
No Blogger doesn't have a category option but you can add categories to your blog manually. Here's an article (http://weblogs.about.com/od/bloggercom/f/bloggercats.htm) to show you how or at least, steer you in the right direction.

Sounds great, but does this mean that I would have to categorize every single one of my articles in order for this to work? I have over a 100 articles! :eek:

sthrnwriter
03-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Looks like it. Hey I didn't say it was going to be easy. Maybe someone or all the Blogger users here should email the guys on the site and request a category feature.

Greasy Spoon
03-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Wow, hey, thanks for the link to that article, sthrnwriter. I was just about to start making my own categories the way MadScientistMatt has been, by creating index posts where I copy and paste the permalinks for everything that falls into that category. But if I can get that search-based version working that'll save a ton of upkeep time!

(Conveniently, I've already been categorizing my posts they way they recommend for that particular hack!)

Thanks!

(Man, this forum is great.)