PDA

View Full Version : Adverb game

jaus tail
08-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Post a sentence with an adverb. The next forumite will try to remove the adverb by changing the sentence structure and post a new sentence with an adverb.

The next forumite will remove that adverb by changing sentence structure and so on...

He removed his mobile from the pocket, called his mother and happily said, “Mom I passed the exam.”

He removed his mobile from the pocket, called his mother, wiped his tears and said, “Mom, I passed the exam.”

Hearing the fire alarm, I instantly cut off the house's power supply and locked my wife inside.

Hearing the fire alarm, I ran out of the toilet, broke the house's fuse and locked my wife inside.

Seeing her husband kiss her neighbor, she quickly removed the shotgun from the closet and shot the couple.

M.S. Wiggins
08-13-2014, 02:32 AM
You didn't specify whether or not we could turn it into something funny, so I'm taking my liberties.

Seeing her husband kiss her neighbor, she quickly removed the shotgun from the closet and shot the couple.

Seeing her husband kiss the neighbor, Mary Poppins lifted the shotgun from her carpet bag and shot the couple. (Then she sprinkled sugar on them and called the murder sweeps to clean up the mess.)

Jack looked at him curiously and Sebastian found it odd that he hadn't been aware of his presence.

Matera the Mad
08-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Jack looked at him curiously and Sebastian found it odd that he hadn't been aware of his presence.

Jack's look was full of unspoken questions, and Sebastian found it odd that he hadn't been aware of his presence.

She dashed about the room, so flustered in her desperate attempt to tidy up that she nearly made a worse mess.

jaus tail
08-13-2014, 09:31 AM
You can make it funny, horror, romantic, spiritual, sarcastic, it's up to you.

She dashed about the room, so flustered in her desperate attempt to tidy up that she nearly made a worse mess.

She dashed about the room, so flustered in her desperate attempt to tidy up that her hip hit the flower pot that would've fallen on the floor had she not kicked it at the last minute throwing it out of the window into the neighbor's house. Then she moved her eyes about the clean room, and patted her back.

Jacob cheerfully gave his dog the homework.

Hannah M
08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Jacob placed his homework in front of the dog and waited with his camera to get the perfect picture for the photo contest.

Humming quietly to herself, Mary happily shovelled dirt over the body.

jaus tail
08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Humming quietly to herself, Mary happily shovelled dirt over the body.

Not wanting to attract attention by any passerby, Mary hummed the song to herself and shoveled dirt over her boyfriend's body. She then went home, turned off the alarm on her mobile and went to sleep. After seven weeks of suffering, happiness had decided to enter her life.

For the interview, John awkwardly walked towards his prospective boss.

M.S. Wiggins
08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
For the interview, John awkwardly walked towards his prospective boss.

Extending his sweaty hand to his prospective boss, John stumbled on a breadcrumb left behind by Hansel and hoped it wouldn’t ruin his chances to land the job.

Withholding information from Mary was one thing, but to purposefully deceive her did not come lightly to him.

jaus tail
08-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Withholding information from Mary was one thing, but to purposefully deceive her did not come lightly to him.

He remembered the bald guy's threat against revealing the secret to Mary. His hands craved to grab her by the shoulders and shake her of the hope that her husband was alive. He closed his fist and turned his head away whenever their eyes met.

She said, "You were his best friend. Tell me, is there some dark secret that could perhaps cause his sudden disappearance."

He shook his head, felt a knot in his throat. He didn't know whether it was guilt or his love for her but he couldn't tell her about her husband's real source of income.

Level 4

She completely copied the answers from Hema's paper and walked home. That evening she was energetically playing ball when her eyes fell on Hema. She delightfully shook hands with her and casually invited her to play.

Hannah M
08-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Hema really thought Ann was a good friend. She didn't realise that Ann only wanted to sit next to her in order to copy her answers. One evening, Hema noticed Ann throwing around a ball that evening and she was delighted to be asked to join. Not two seconds later, however, Ann threw the ball through the neighbour's window and disappeared. Hema took the blame as she felt sorry for Ann, who was obviously very scared.

Smiling broadly, the lollipop man handed out his goodies to all the kids who clamoured around him, desperately shoving out their hands for a lollipop. When the stock of lollipops was depleted, the lollipop man strolled casually out of the town, grinning evilly to himself. He gleefully rubbed his hands.

jaus tail
08-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Smiling broadly, the lollipop man handed out his goodies to all the kids who clamoured around him, desperately shoving out their hands for a lollipop. When the stock of lollipops was depleted, the lollipop man strolled casually out of the town, grinning evilly to himself. He gleefully rubbed his hands.

Eric removed the lollipops from the bowl and handed them to the kids around him. He knew adding the golden colored powder on the goodies would make them sweeter but watching them crave for their death brought a smile on his face. When the stock of lollipops was depleted, he strolled out of the town, saying good bye to the families who he knew would curse him forever.

Like the families of three other towns where he had stayed earlier. He rubbed his hands when felt a pull at his shirt. He was a skinny boy, in a torn black shirt begging for a lollipop. The lollipop man tousled his hair, removed the last lollipop from the bowl and handed it to him.

Level Six

Arun arrogantly yelled at the waiter at the barista for the late delivery. The waiter suddenly poured the hot coffee on Arun’s shirt. Arun cried fervently when the waiter picked the neighbor’s coffee and triumphantly poured it on Arun. The boss powerfully punched the waiter who fell on the floor. He got up, pulled out a gun from his pocket and aimed at the boss who began apologizing. The waiter smiled and kindheartedly shot the boss’ right leg.

Hannah M
08-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Level Six

Arun arrogantly yelled at the waiter at the barista for the late delivery. The waiter suddenly poured the hot coffee on Arun’s shirt. Arun cried fervently when the waiter picked the neighbor’s coffee and triumphantly poured it on Arun. The boss powerfully punched the waiter who fell on the floor. He got up, pulled out a gun from his pocket and aimed at the boss who began apologizing. The waiter smiled and kindheartedly shot the boss’ right leg.

Colin tugged at his apron. He'd had to put on a disguise once he'd escaped from the asylum but this waiter's outfit was far too uncomfortable. And the job was terrible! Some guy here was yelling at him about something or the other - what a racket! He was saying something about coffee... ok, whatever the customer wants. Colin tipped over the jug and let the brown liquid spill over the guy's shirt. That didn't shut him up; he just yelled even louder, so Colin collected the coffee of the next guy and poured it over the yelling man.

Colin suddenly felt a powerful blow. He looked to see a fat man standing over him. The man's gaze seemed to be directed at Colin's pocket. Well, if that's what he wanted, fine! Colin pulled out the water gun he'd gotten out of the cereal box that morning and pointed it towards the fat bloke, who immediately cowered and started whimpering, looking down. So he wants it in his legs? No problem! Colin squirted a steady stream of water onto the man's leg.

Then Colin felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up into the face of his doctor.
"I think it's time you went home, Colin."

She looked lovingly at the letter, thinking wistfully about the future it described. She came to a decision and stood up abruptly. She would marry him despite her father's command. She crept cautiously to the door and listened carefully. Not a sound. She went over to the balcony, flung open the doors and moved towards the railing.
In a voice full of yearning, Juliet passionately called out:
"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

jaus tail
08-17-2014, 09:47 AM
She looked lovingly at the letter, thinking wistfully about the future it described. She came to a decision and stood up abruptly. She would marry him despite her father's command. She crept cautiously to the door and listened carefully. Not a sound. She went over to the balcony, flung open the doors and moved towards the railing.

It was the tenth time in the last thirty minutes that she began reading the letter. By now she had even memorized the punctuations. She moved her fingers past the words, leaned to the light brown paper and kissed it, as if she were kissing his fingers.

She removed other letters from under the bed and hugged them all. A train of thought began running from her heart to her mind. It was loaded with passengers of hopes and bliss.

Her eyes fell on her father’s portrait hanging by the wall. She walked to it and touched it. The enthusiasm to get in the train’s journey was more than the safety of her father’s palace. She trod to the door and looked around the vast lengths of corridor on both sides. A slit of yellow light came from under father’s closed door.

She went back in her room, collected the letters and sneaked to the balcony. Her pace increased with each step, as if a magnet were calling her, the pull increasing as she reached closer to the balcony.

When the door flung open, it was as if the trees, railing and swing froze at the sight of a strict parent. Her breathe was the only source of motion. Her eyes traced the semicircle railing. The short white marble wall was from where she had seen him for the first time.

Her legs walked towards it, her hands pressed firm against the railing.

Then without bothering about her father, or the guards she said in a voice louder than a train’s siren, ‘Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou? Romeo…’

My turn…

Juliet’s father angrily entered the balcony and was shocked to his daughter standing at the railing. He instantly put his hands to his hips and loudly asked, “What are you doing here at this hour?”

She slowly turned around. He walked to her and aggressively held her jaw, then repeated, “What are you doing here at this hour?”

Before she could finish saying, “I love him, I’m wait…” he swiped his arm across her face, triggering a pear shaped drop of blood from the right edge of her lips.

A moment later he calmly said, “Try to understand child, your marriage has been fixed and he’s a very nice guy. He's from the royal Jahan family. He’ll take very good care of you?”

She gently wiped the drop of blood, turned to him and hopefully said, “I love him.”

He lazily mopped his forehead and said, “I loved your mother, but that didn’t stop me from slicing her in two.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her in his room, then locked the door from outside and went to his room where three women lying on the bed seductively gestured him to join them.

jaus tail
08-17-2014, 09:47 AM

It was the tenth time in the last thirty minutes that she began reading the letter. By now she had even memorized the punctuations. She moved her fingers past the words, leaned to the light brown paper and kissed it, as if she were kissing his fingers.

She removed other letters from under the bed and hugged them all. A train of thought began running from her heart to her mind. It was loaded with passengers of hopes and bliss.

Her eyes fell on her father’s portrait hanging by the wall. She walked to it and touched it. The enthusiasm to get in the train’s journey was more than the safety of her father’s palace. She trod to the door and looked around the vast lengths of corridor on both sides. A slit of yellow light came from under father’s closed door.

She went back in her room, collected the letters and sneaked to the balcony. Her pace increased with each step, as if a magnet were calling her, the pull increasing as she reached closer to the balcony.

When the door flung open, it was as if the trees, railing and swing froze at the sight of a strict parent. Her breathe was the only source of motion. Her eyes traced the semicircle railing. The short white marble wall was from where she had seen him for the first time.

Her legs walked towards it, her hands pressed firm against the railing.

Then without bothering about her father, or the guards she said in a voice clearer than a daughter's call, ‘Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou? Romeo…’

My turn…

Juliet’s father angrily entered the balcony and was shocked to his daughter standing at the railing. He instantly put his hands to his hips and loudly asked, “What are you doing here at this hour?”

She slowly turned around. He walked to her and aggressively held her jaw, then repeated, “What are you doing here at this hour?”

Before she could finish saying, “I love him, I’m wait…” he swiped his arm across her face, triggering a pear shaped drop of blood from the right edge of her lips.

A moment later he calmly said, “Try to understand child, your marriage has been fixed and he’s a very nice guy. He's from the royal Jahan family. He’ll take very good care of you?”

She gently wiped the drop of blood, turned to him and hopefully said, “I love him.”

He lazily mopped his forehead and said, “I loved your mother, but that didn’t stop me from slicing her in two.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her in his room, then locked the door from outside and went to his room where three women lying on the bed seductively gestured him to join them.

Hannah M
08-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Before Romeo had a chance to answer the call of his beloved, Juliet's father entered the scene. From his perch halfway up the old oak tree Romeo could not hear what Juliet's father was yelling but he saw the slap. And then he saw red. There was some red on Juliet's face! Blood! Romeo fainted and fell from his tree, just as Juliet and her father re-entered the room. He broke his neck and died. Juliet married Mr Jahan the next morning. The End.

**my turn***

The child insisted repeatedly that a man had silently climbed through the bedroom window and was currently hiding under the bed. The mother impatiently hushed her child and instructed him firmly not to disturb her again for such silly nonsense. She returned thankfully to her party and the man re-emerged from under the bed, clutching a knife and smiling cruelly.

jaus tail
08-18-2014, 09:53 PM
The child insisted repeatedly that a man had silently climbed through the bedroom window and was currently hiding under the bed. The mother impatiently hushed her child and instructed him firmly not to disturb her again for such silly nonsense. She returned thankfully to her party and the man re-emerged from under the bed, clutching a knife and smiling cruelly.

The mother put her hands to her hips as her son cried about seeing some bogey man. She regretted not giving him up for adoption. She sat next to him, feigned a smile and patted his head.
“Everything will be all right son,” she said and put her hand over his eyes.

The boy shook his head and pointed to the window. “But mom I saw him come through that window.”

“We’ll talk about this later dear, now bye.”

“But mom…”

“Stop bothering me,” she yelled. “Act like a man. You’re eight years old and act like a baby. There are no bogey monsters under the bed. Grow up.” She turned off the lights and went to her party. She smiled at Sarita and praised her black gown, then cursed her with constipation. She sipped the red fluid in her glass and talked of her mother’s secret recipe.

The next morning she got a phone call from some guy asking for money in exchange for her son. She yawned and replied, “Wrong number.”

***My turn***

Billy carefully threw chalk at Professor Roy. Roy irritably scratched his head, angrily turned around and loudly asked, “Who did this?”

Billy calmly pointed at Sarah.

At the detention, the principal told her to call her parents. Sarah defiantly refused all the charges and said, “I shall speak nothing but the truth and with Lord on my side, I can say with all the strength that come what may, I shan’t change from the stand that the sinful soul who dared to commit such a heinous crime doesn’t possess my body. So god help you. Amen.”

Hannah M
08-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Billy carefully threw chalk at Professor Roy. Roy irritably scratched his head, angrily turned around and loudly asked, “Who did this?”

Billy calmly pointed at Sarah.

At the detention, the principal told her to call her parents. Sarah defiantly refused all the charges and said, “I shall speak nothing but the truth and with Lord on my side, I can say with all the strength that come what may, I shan’t change from the stand that the sinful soul who dared to commit such a heinous crime doesn’t possess my body. So god help you. Amen.”

"Can anyone translate this for me?" Roy groaned inwardly as not a single pupil raised their hands. He'd only spent the last 5 lessons on this particular Latin phrase! And to top it all off, the headmaster had just told him that he was going to be sacked at the end of the year.

Professor Roy turned back to the board only to feel a *ping* on his head. Someone had thrown something at him. Again. He scratched at it and prepared to continue his lesson but then he decided to react. Why not? At least the students would wake up a bit.

With a show of anger, Roy spun around to face the class and yelled at the top of his lungs "Who did this?". It took all of his self-control to hold back the laughter when he saw the students faces. One kid, Billy, lifted his hand and pointed it at Sarah. Roy gave her a detention on the spot.

Oh dear, this is coming out rather boring, is it not? I'm rather tired and I'm not in the mood to continue. Sorry, JT, but I shall leave it there.

**my turn**

The little boy gleefully shoved the cake into his peacefully sleeping babysitter's face

jaus tail
08-19-2014, 12:24 AM
The little boy gleefully shoved the cake into his peacefully sleeping babysitter's face

The boy took a selfie before shoving the cake into his babysitter's face. Such was the effect of the incident that she ended up in the asylum.

John despondently gave his wife the tv remote allowing her to change the channel to a sitcom.

Hannah M
08-19-2014, 01:14 AM
John despondently gave his wife the tv remote allowing her to change the channel to a sitcom.

They'd had this argument before.
"This is interesting! You learn from it!"
"And you get scared out of your wits!"
"Come on, these Air Crash Investigations are such a big deal because they rarely happen!"
"Last time I watched one I cancelled our flights, remember?"
"Fine, but why should we watch a stupid sitcom?"
"Because they are funny!"
"They're so uneducational!"
"Exactly! Not everyone is physics teacher!"
"Well you could still learn something!"
"Then I'll stop cooking for you!"
(sulkily) "Ok. You win. Here's the remote."
He'd known she'd win. They had this fight every night.

***my turn :) ****

Jenny clicked the 'Send' button eagerly, only to realise that she'd accidentally sent it to her boss.

jaus tail
08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Jenny read through the pages on the table. The first one dated seven years ago. She moved her eyes to the Dr. Jenny Suaz tag written on her white uniform lying on the table.

The time had come. She walked to the window and opened the curtains. The loneliness of her five bedroom house didn't send any regrets or guilt in her soul. She raised the mobile to her face and stared at the yellow text. The words of the text individually had no meaning, but when combined and sent to the destination could hypnotize the reader.

She had tried it to on her ex-husband, who moments after reading the text, proposed his love for her and publicly begged her to return.

Her next victim was her boss, who gave her a raise. Then her neighbor who gave her the parking spot. Since the past two weeks, she was searching all over the internet for Brad Pitt's number. She wanted to cherish a one night stand with him.

She was juggling it between her hands when a thought entered her mind. She'd been having trouble with her maid. Hopes of the maid, working as he servant blossomed in her heart, causing her thumb to press the 'send' button.

She realized her error as she saw the bar of 'sending message' on the screen. She hadn't selected the message's destination. She knew it when a text on her screen read, 'Message Sent To Boss.'

Nervousness entered her mind as it took her a moment to understand the implications of the hypnotizing text.

In the next moment, the door flung outwards as she ran down the stairs, two at a time, entered her car and throttled it towards her boss.

She knew it very well, that hypnotizing one person twice could result in death and her consciousness wasn't strong enough to carry the burden of murder not until she got another raise.

Seeing traffic ahead, she pressed the red button on the dashboard. The doors unhinged and transformed to wings as nitro boost from the nozzle allowed the car to fly.

**my turn**

He gladly added salt in tea to spoil his mother-in-law's tea party.

Hannah M
08-20-2014, 03:14 AM
Lani put down the phone slowly. When she turned to face Moe, he was shocked at how white her face was.
"That was your mother, wasn't it? Is she ok?"
"She went to the doctor this morning for a routine check-up and he said she has really high blood pressure and that unless she makes some serious changes - no more salt, for example - she could die!"
"Oh! That's... shocking news! Um... is she still going to be holding her Wednesday afternoon tea party tomorrow?"
"Probably - she won't let this get in the way. You know how much she loves her tea parties. Oh, I hope she's not too depressed! Poor Mum!"

That night, Moe lay awake in bed. He'd never liked his mother-in-law and he only kept going to her stupid tea parties because she was rich! She'd mentioned once that she'd left all her money to him and Lani. That was what kept him going through all those parties with a silly smile pasted on his face, pretending he was enjoying himself. But now... too much salt could kill her... if sugar bowl was filled with salt... accidentally, of course... it wouldn't be murder, she could die anytime! That's what the doctor said, right? And just think of all that money...

***my turn***

Jake hesitantly pressed the button. It worked. He was now in a different universe.

jaus tail
08-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Jake hesitantly pressed the button. It worked. He was now in a different universe.

Sweat appeared on his forehead as he held the shivering remote in his hand. From the hut's window, he could see men brandishing axes and torched sticks as they marched towards him.

He didn't know sleeping with the mayor's wife would upset the villagers to this extent. The grey button was his escape. A stone flew through the window near his foot.

He read the warning sign above the grey button, prayed to God and connected his thumb with the button.

The villagers broke open the hut's door to find no one inside. They nevertheless set it on fire.

**My turn**

He hastily wrote the answer paper.

Hannah M
08-22-2014, 04:03 AM
The clock was ticking. He shifted uneasily in his seat. The BodyShifter only worked for 2 hours, which shouldn't have been a problem as the exam was only one and a half hours long. How could they have foreseen that the exam papers would get mixed up causing a delay? It had already been 20 minutes and the exam had not yet begun.

When Benny had first come up with the idea, Mark had opposed it immediately. It wasn't honest, and what if he got caught? But Benny had persisted and now Mark was here, about to sit the exam for Benny, and if the exam didn't start within the next five minutes his body would automatically revert back to its original form during the exam. The consequences of that would be extremely serious; not only would he and Benny both be disqualified from their courses, but Mark's invention would become known to the world.

What would the world be like if anyone could just swap bodies? Cheating at exams would be rampant, criminals would easily escape the finger of the law, people would always be worried that the person they are talking to is actually someone else and would never be able to trust anyone again. Mark shuddered. Why on earth had he ever wanted to create something like that? If the BodyShifter technology was made public the world would change forever.

At last, the papers were found and the exams were started. Mark rushed through it, scribbling in the answers yet all the while keeping an eye on the time. At exactly 11:25 he went to the bathroom where Benny was waiting for him and they switched back. Mark breathed a sigh of relief. Now, no-one would ever find out.

***my turn***

Jack and Jill stumbled up the hill, reluctantly fetching a pail of water.