PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else doing the Gen Con Writers' Symposium?

Dragonwriter
08-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I have no idea if this is the right place to post this, so if the mods move things around, please feel free.

I was just wondering if anyone else around here is attending Gen Con (the gaming convention in Indianapolis, starting this Thursday). In addition to all the gaming-related stuff, they also have a wonderful Writers' Symposium, chock-full of nifty seminars, many of which are led/taught by published authors and industry pros. I went last year and some of seminar participants included Michael Stackpole, Brandon Sanderson, Maurice Broaddus, R. A. Salvatore, and numerous others. Here's a list of the speakers (http://www.genconwriters.com/index.php/featured-speakers?limitstart=0) for this year, along with info about the various workshops and seminars--I'm pretty excited because one of my favorite authors, Jim Butcher, is going to be there. One of the most helpful seminars, IMO, is called "Read and Critique": you get five minutes to read from your work to a panel of published authors and pro editors, and they give you their feedback. I found it a great opportunity last year and I'm doing it again this year.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody else from these parts is going to be there. It really is a nice opportunity to get some useful information about writing, publishing, and the industry in general if you're in the fantasy/urban fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal genres. And if you want to write for the game companies or make contacts in the gaming industry, this is one of the best places to do it.

Mytherea
08-12-2014, 08:35 AM
I am. I even printed out the symposium schedule and highlighted everything I'm going to a couple of days ago (honestly, I'm not entirely sure when I'm supposed to eat; there are no convenient breaks in between and everything sounds way, way too interesting to pass up over food).

I'd actually been wondering if anyone else on here was going as well.

I'm hyped for it, this year in particular, because it's got a focus on urban fantasy, my favorite subgenre to read and to write (at the moment, at least). I've never participated in the Read & Critique, mostly because it intimidates the hell out of me (which I know is pretty silly, since I have no qualms submitting my work or getting critiqued. I think it's the being in the spotlight with everyone looking at me being judged that's kept me from attending). Was it frightening? You're the only person I know of who's done the Read & Critique before.

Dragonwriter
08-12-2014, 08:43 AM
I am. I even printed out the symposium schedule and highlighted everything I'm going to a couple of days ago (honestly, I'm not entirely sure when I'm supposed to eat; there are no convenient breaks in between and everything sounds way, way too interesting to pass up over food).

Yeah, I have that same problem--my whole Friday is pretty much solid from 10:00 through about 8:00, with I think an hour break. I think I'll have to resign myself to bad con food because it'll be the only thing close enough to get to in time!

I'm hyped for it, this year in particular, because it's got a focus on urban fantasy, my favorite subgenre to read and to write (at the moment, at least). Me too. I'm really excited that Jim Butcher is going to be there, and I got into almost all of his seminars. I met him briefly at SDCC--he's a nice guy, and very funny. Looking forward to hearing what he and the others have to say about UF, since that's what I write and I'm happy for all the pro advice I can get.

I've never participated in the Read & Critique, mostly because it intimidates the hell out of me (which I know is pretty silly, since I have no qualms submitting my work or getting critiqued. I think it's the being in the spotlight with everyone looking at me being judged that's kept me from attending). Was it frightening? You're the only person I know of who's done the Read & Critique before.I was scared to death last year, though I did have the advantage of knowing one of the critics (he was my editor for a couple of anthology stories I'd written the previous year). And it felt really good when I read my bit and the group had very few critical comments and one of them even told me, "You don't need to be here." :D

I fully expect that this year they'll rip my offering to shreds, but at least I'll be braver about reading it. :)

KateJJ
08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I wasn't. Then I kinda won the Baen Fantasy Award. Now I'm going.

:)

Dragonwriter
08-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I wasn't. Then I kinda won the Baen Fantasy Award. Now I'm going.

:)

Congratulations! :D