Fashion Question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does one wear to a writer's conference?

What would YOU wear?

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
rhymegirl said:

What would YOU wear?

Comfortable shoes, for one. And layers, for another - I get really hot and then really cold in minutes time.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Just what September Skies said.

Casual, dressy. Nice, fitted, black slacks (Banana Republic,) and a fitted, cardigan style white blouse - perhaps with 3/4 sleeves. (Theory has some great ones.)

A nice, again fitted jacket. (BCBG.)

Black low-heeled pumps or shoes.

A nice, large bag filled with hard candies, tissues, aspirin, a bottled water, snacks, paper, pens, pencils, cell phone, address book, business cards.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody says comfortable shoes.

Is there a lot of walking involved? Or standing up???

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
lacy bras and panties. Room 1023.

Okay.

That part I can do. Now it's just the rest of the wardrobe to figure out.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
eldragon said:
Casual, dressy. Nice, fitted, black slacks (Banana Republic,) and a fitted, cardigan style white blouse - perhaps with 3/4 sleeves. (Theory has some great ones.)

A nice, again fitted jacket. (BCBG.)

Black low-heeled pumps or shoes.

A nice, large bag filled with hard candies, tissues, aspirin, a bottled water, snacks, paper, pens, pencils, cell phone, address book, business cards.

smile.gif
Wow. I like your shopping style. Wish we had a Banana Republic here.
As to the large bag -- LOL -- I guess I was reading too fast, I read "water gun" - not once, but twice - and was trying to figure out what the heck you included that in there for! LOL

p.s. make sure the large bag is nice - and not tattered. I have three I use (two from Nine West and one is a Guess) and important not to be "fishing" around for what you want - especially in front of others - so make sure you know where everything is and that it is not just thrown in there. i probably wouldn't include snacks in there. (then you have to figure out how to clean your teeth) Leave snacks (and any liquor) in your room. But I would include the rest of the recommendations.
biggrin.gif

Maestro: That is so you! I knew you'd pop in here and say something like that!
smile.gif

Spiritwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I always wear something that I like on myself. It is usually a great color on me, comfortable but with just enough subtle artistic flair to stand out from the crowd (something you would wear to the office if you were employed in a fine arts environment). If you are meeting people you want to stay in touch with it helps to be pleasantly memorable.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
Tom Wolfe is in France at the moment and is doing interviews in a white suit with loud ties. He looks likes a freaked out Colonel Sanders. I'm not sure who is dressing the guy but I would advise against the KFC meets LSD look.

Os.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Oh, a toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss, just in case you do any talking. Breath mints.

September - I just bought myself a new Prada bag this weekend. The last one I had lasted 2 years, until the lining colapsed. I waited almost another year before finding one I could afford.

YIPPEE!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spiritwriter said:
If you are meeting people you want to stay in touch with it helps to be pleasantly memorable.

Hmm....this could be very dangerous though if carried to extremes.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So it sounds like a really big pocketbook is in order to hold all that stuff--pens, pencils, toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, dental floss, gum?, cell phone, address book, pad of paper, bottled water, aspirin--

Are the guys supposed to carry pocketbooks, too?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll be standing a lot, that's why the comfortable shoes. In my limited experience, you want to wear different shoes different days, unless they're slippers-comfortable. My last convention, eons ago, the shoes that seemed real comfy on Friday were a pain in the a$$ by Sunday, and I really wished I'd packed a second pair even if those were perfect for every day's events.

I would also think that a jacket with at least one pocket large enough to hold immediate essentials--business cards, a wee notepad, a pen, a single Kleenex--would be on my must-have list.

If I were packing/buying clothes for a convention, I'd be aiming for business casual but with something artsy about every outfit, like SpiritWriter suggested, and a very organized bag no larger than is necessary.

I hope you who meet will share pictures!

Maryn, who talks a good game but is wearing a Cape Cod T shirt with a stain on the front as she types this

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Dress like your Main Character.

You know, I'm crazy, but I really do not get a chance to get out much so....

Me? I'd wear something that showed off my tail and headlights. Maybe not spikes on my feet, but some definite upscale dress shoes with at least a 1.5" heel to make my legs look good. I'd also go in for a manicure and a nice hairstyle.

It really depends on what you write, I mean the above outfit wouldn't be appropriate at a YA, children's or Religious writer's conference. And if it were a scifi gen con, skintight gold lame would be best. Maybe a bikini and lavendar body paint?
I do kinda agree with Maryn on the sensible thing.....but I'm sensible every dag gone day, and if I ever get to a conference... ( or even just out of my neighborhood. . .) I'm gonna 'girl gone wild' until I make up for the past......( do I dare confess my age????) 5 years.:D

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I've gone I've seen (and worn) mostly nice casual (eg. nice slacks with sweater or jacket)...I've seen even a fair amount of jeans, but the conferences I've attended were in Colorado and NM, so that might explain it. I try to wear something that makes me feel and look good; it gets me 'up' for editor appointments. I've seen a lot of people with small 'totes' on wheels, though I've always preferred carrying my stuff in a shoulder bag--it's a lot easier to deal with in the cafeteria when you're pushing a food tray. The bag is for your spiral, conference packet, conference 'freebies', and your writing samples (if you're meeting with editors). Business cards are really optional...most editors don't really want them, but they are handy for giving to other people you meet that you might want to stay in touch with. If you're going this time of year, be sure to pack for different types of weather...we were greeted by 6" of snow at the Colorado conference we attended last May.

BTW, what conference are you going to?

Last edited:

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
You may also want to keep in mind that there's a good chance that an inordinate amount of people will be peering at your chest (to read your name tag -- whether it's a stick-on "My name is" label or one of those things you loop around your neck) and you might want to dress accordingly.

If it's a loop-around-the-neck thing, you might want to consider keeping some business cards in it (one less thing to have to dig for in your purse).

Also a single accessory that catches the eye can be a good idea. It gives an agent/editor/fellow writer the chance to say "Oh what a lovely scarf/necklace/pin/jacket" as a bit of an icebreaker, instead of launching cold into "What do you write?".

Enjoy!

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:

What would YOU wear?

I would be sure to be well-dressed, but maybe thats because i usually dress like that in public. I am a women - and i like to dress feminine. I use alot of dresses and shirts, so i would probally have ended up with a shirt of some kind (probally black). Black clothing is timeless and fits in almost any envirement. +if the shirt is black somehow its more "casual" then lets say a pink one. There is alot of shooes that are comfy but still look feminine :)

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
It would depend on where the conference is being held - New York, Dallas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles have VERY different business attire. It would also depend on whether I was going to be arriving from the airport or leaving directly from the conference to the airport. AND, it would depend on the actual location of the meeting - for example, is it going to be held at the convention center, restaurant meeting room or at the Waldorf Astoria?

More information, please....

rich

I'm a bit slow at this. I would, that morning, ask myself if I needed to shower. If it was within a week since my last, I'd not bother.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Uuuh uuuh uuuuh my ripped AE jeans with the pink I Believe In Magic flying pony shirt and the blue Pumas and and and and the teal hoodie?

I'd polish up a little. I wouldn't go over the top trying to look perfect...something classic, not trendy, but not dowdy. Good shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.