PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Question:

rhymegirl
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
What does one wear to a writer's conference?

What would YOU wear?

September skies
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
nice pair of slacks and blouse, pant jacket, nice pair of pumps or low heels
nicely dressed but not overly done

jenngreenleaf
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM

What would YOU wear?

Comfortable shoes, for one. And layers, for another - I get really hot and then really cold in minutes time.

eldragon
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Just what September Skies said.

Casual, dressy. Nice, fitted, black slacks (Banana Republic,) and a fitted, cardigan style white blouse - perhaps with 3/4 sleeves. (Theory has some great ones.)

A nice, again fitted jacket. (BCBG.)

Black low-heeled pumps or shoes.

A nice, large bag filled with hard candies, tissues, aspirin, a bottled water, snacks, paper, pens, pencils, cell phone, address book, business cards.

NeuroFizz
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Casual to business casual, with an emphasis on comfortable.

rhymegirl
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Everybody says comfortable shoes.

Is there a lot of walking involved? Or standing up???

maestrowork
03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
lacy bras and panties. Room 1023.

rhymegirl
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
lacy bras and panties. Room 1023.

Okay.

That part I can do. Now it's just the rest of the wardrobe to figure out.

PattiTheWicked
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
For me, any shirt that doesn't have a food stain on it is formal wear.

September skies
03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Casual, dressy. Nice, fitted, black slacks (Banana Republic,) and a fitted, cardigan style white blouse - perhaps with 3/4 sleeves. (Theory has some great ones.)

A nice, again fitted jacket. (BCBG.)

Black low-heeled pumps or shoes.

A nice, large bag filled with hard candies, tissues, aspirin, a bottled water, snacks, paper, pens, pencils, cell phone, address book, business cards.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Wow. I like your shopping style. Wish we had a Banana Republic here.
As to the large bag -- LOL -- I guess I was reading too fast, I read "water gun" - not once, but twice - and was trying to figure out what the heck you included that in there for! LOL

p.s. make sure the large bag is nice - and not tattered. I have three I use (two from Nine West and one is a Guess) and important not to be "fishing" around for what you want - especially in front of others - so make sure you know where everything is and that it is not just thrown in there. i probably wouldn't include snacks in there. (then you have to figure out how to clean your teeth) Leave snacks (and any liquor) in your room. But I would include the rest of the recommendations. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Maestro: That is so you! I knew you'd pop in here and say something like that! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Spiritwriter
03-21-2006, 10:12 PM
I always wear something that I like on myself. It is usually a great color on me, comfortable but with just enough subtle artistic flair to stand out from the crowd (something you would wear to the office if you were employed in a fine arts environment). If you are meeting people you want to stay in touch with it helps to be pleasantly memorable.

oswann
03-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Tom Wolfe is in France at the moment and is doing interviews in a white suit with loud ties. He looks likes a freaked out Colonel Sanders. I'm not sure who is dressing the guy but I would advise against the KFC meets LSD look.

Os.

eldragon
03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Oh, a toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss, just in case you do any talking. Breath mints.

September - I just bought myself a new Prada bag this weekend. The last one I had lasted 2 years, until the lining colapsed. I waited almost another year before finding one I could afford.

YIPPEE!

maestrowork
03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
For me, any shirt that doesn't have a ... stain on it is formal wear.

It's not a blue cocktail dress, is it?

rhymegirl
03-21-2006, 10:46 PM
If you are meeting people you want to stay in touch with it helps to be pleasantly memorable.

Hmm....this could be very dangerous though if carried to extremes.

PattiTheWicked
03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
It's not a blue cocktail dress, is it?

Oh, Ray, that's just.... wong.

rhymegirl
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
So it sounds like a really big pocketbook is in order to hold all that stuff--pens, pencils, toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, dental floss, gum?, cell phone, address book, pad of paper, bottled water, aspirin--

Are the guys supposed to carry pocketbooks, too?

Maryn
03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
You'll be standing a lot, that's why the comfortable shoes. In my limited experience, you want to wear different shoes different days, unless they're slippers-comfortable. My last convention, eons ago, the shoes that seemed real comfy on Friday were a pain in the a$$ by Sunday, and I really wished I'd packed a second pair even if those were perfect for every day's events.

I would also think that a jacket with at least one pocket large enough to hold immediate essentials--business cards, a wee notepad, a pen, a single Kleenex--would be on my must-have list.

If I were packing/buying clothes for a convention, I'd be aiming for business casual but with something artsy about every outfit, like SpiritWriter suggested, and a very organized bag no larger than is necessary.

I hope you who meet will share pictures!

Maryn, who talks a good game but is wearing a Cape Cod T shirt with a stain on the front as she types this

Jaycinth
03-22-2006, 12:22 AM
You know, I'm crazy, but I really do not get a chance to get out much so....

Me? I'd wear something that showed off my tail and headlights. Maybe not spikes on my feet, but some definite upscale dress shoes with at least a 1.5" heel to make my legs look good. I'd also go in for a manicure and a nice hairstyle.

It really depends on what you write, I mean the above outfit wouldn't be appropriate at a YA, children's or Religious writer's conference. And if it were a scifi gen con, skintight gold lame would be best. Maybe a bikini and lavendar body paint?
I do kinda agree with Maryn on the sensible thing.....but I'm sensible every dag gone day, and if I ever get to a conference... ( or even just out of my neighborhood. . .) I'm gonna 'girl gone wild' until I make up for the past......( do I dare confess my age????) 5 years.:D

Pat~
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
When I've gone I've seen (and worn) mostly nice casual (eg. nice slacks with sweater or jacket)...I've seen even a fair amount of jeans, but the conferences I've attended were in Colorado and NM, so that might explain it. I try to wear something that makes me feel and look good; it gets me 'up' for editor appointments. I've seen a lot of people with small 'totes' on wheels, though I've always preferred carrying my stuff in a shoulder bag--it's a lot easier to deal with in the cafeteria when you're pushing a food tray. The bag is for your spiral, conference packet, conference 'freebies', and your writing samples (if you're meeting with editors). Business cards are really optional...most editors don't really want them, but they are handy for giving to other people you meet that you might want to stay in touch with. If you're going this time of year, be sure to pack for different types of weather...we were greeted by 6" of snow at the Colorado conference we attended last May.

BTW, what conference are you going to?

IHeartWriting
03-22-2006, 01:02 AM
You may also want to keep in mind that there's a good chance that an inordinate amount of people will be peering at your chest (to read your name tag -- whether it's a stick-on "My name is" label or one of those things you loop around your neck) and you might want to dress accordingly.

If it's a loop-around-the-neck thing, you might want to consider keeping some business cards in it (one less thing to have to dig for in your purse).

Also a single accessory that catches the eye can be a good idea. It gives an agent/editor/fellow writer the chance to say "Oh what a lovely scarf/necklace/pin/jacket" as a bit of an icebreaker, instead of launching cold into "What do you write?".

Enjoy!

Noob
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM

What would YOU wear?

I would be sure to be well-dressed, but maybe thats because i usually dress like that in public. I am a women - and i like to dress feminine. I use alot of dresses and shirts, so i would probally have ended up with a shirt of some kind (probally black). Black clothing is timeless and fits in almost any envirement. +if the shirt is black somehow its more "casual" then lets say a pink one. There is alot of shooes that are comfy but still look feminine :)

threedogpeople
03-22-2006, 01:33 AM
It would depend on where the conference is being held - New York, Dallas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles have VERY different business attire. It would also depend on whether I was going to be arriving from the airport or leaving directly from the conference to the airport. AND, it would depend on the actual location of the meeting - for example, is it going to be held at the convention center, restaurant meeting room or at the Waldorf Astoria?

More information, please....

rich
03-22-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm a bit slow at this. I would, that morning, ask myself if I needed to shower. If it was within a week since my last, I'd not bother.

Danger Jane
03-22-2006, 02:20 AM
Uuuh uuuh uuuuh my ripped AE jeans with the pink I Believe In Magic flying pony shirt and the blue Pumas and and and and the teal hoodie?

I'd polish up a little. I wouldn't go over the top trying to look perfect...something classic, not trendy, but not dowdy. Good shoes.

rhymegirl
03-22-2006, 02:28 AM
So far all I have is the comfortable shoes. The rest of my wardrobe is jeans, jeans, jeans, jeans, and jeans. :e2cry:

Ah...a chance to go buy some new clothes!!

brokenfingers
03-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Whenever I go to something like that, I always make sure I've got my writing boots on and I'm sporting my lucky watch.

trumancoyote
03-22-2006, 03:09 AM
You should dress as a giant foam book.

September skies
03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
So it sounds like a really big pocketbook is in order to hold all that stuff--pens, pencils, toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, dental floss, gum?, cell phone, address book, pad of paper, bottled water, aspirin--

Are the guys supposed to carry pocketbooks, too?

yep! Why do you think some of them always have that big bulge in their pants? It's really just pens and pencils
LOL

September skies
03-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Whenever I go to something like that, I always make sure I've got my writing boots on and I'm sporting my lucky watch.

Oh my gosh! Of course! I almost forgot! You must wear lucky underwear! (not to get lucky with a person - but the kind that brings you good luck!) I have a red pair that always brings me good luck - I was wearing them when I was hired at the newspaper - ever since, I swear, they're lucky!

Me? I'd wear something that showed off my tail and headlights.

LOL - do I even dare to wonder what you are talking about? Does "Tail and headlights" refer to something to show off your butt and breasts? LOL

Now I'm wishing I could attend -- just to see what people (and Rhymegirl) wear!

rhymegirl
03-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Oh my gosh! Of course! I almost forgot! You must wear lucky underwear!
LOL - do I even dare to wonder what you are talking about? Does "Tail and headlights" refer to something to show off your butt and breasts? LOL

Now I'm wishing I could attend -- just to see what people (and Rhymegirl) wear!

Well, SS, you guys sure have given me a lot of ideas. :D

Serenity
03-22-2006, 07:09 AM
:Wha: Clothes??? You're supposed to wear clothing to these things??? Why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things!!!

But on the serious side... comfortable business casual would be the way to go, in my opinion. It's dressy, but not something you'd mind sitting in all day long.

mommie4a
03-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Kathy - Yes on the comfy shoes. Confident - wear something that always makes you feel confident, you know, nothing that you think might have a button pop-off or a seam split etc. As for the bag, a lot of conferences give you some kind of tote for all the stuff you pick up. You can't count on that, but I think I've gotten one at each of the conferences I've attended (which I think is up to three or four).

Color-wise, something that you like on your, but also consider something that is somewhat memorable. For example, I just did a political interview thing with someone who may very well be the next Ohio governor. I decided to wear casual stuff that I'm used to but I wore a nice red faux-suede jacket over it because red makes you stand out from all the black and tan around here this time of year.

But really? The most important thing? You don't want have to be self-conscious. If you feel good about what you have to say, it won't matter what you're wearing. :)

reph
03-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Here's a Google image search for writers' conferences. In the photos, solid colors seem popular.

http://images.google.com/images?q=writers%27+conference&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en

rhymegirl
03-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Thank you, Reph.

I looked at some of the photos on that link. It seems like it depends on the time of year and location as to how people are dressed. One of them is from June and the people are wearing comfortable, casual summer clothes. But in another they're more dressed up, etc.

Maryn
03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Here's a Google image search for writers' conferences. In the photos, solid colors seem popular.

http://images.google.com/images?q=writers%27+conference&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en
Ha-ha, this picture (http://fancyfree.objectis.net/) was first in the google search this morning. I figure it's probably Maestro's tongue...

Maryn, unapologetic

maestrowork
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Lacy bras and panties. Room 1023.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
try to imagine yourself at a writer's conference. imagine across the room from you a woman of roughly your age, who looks like they're confident, achieving an awful lot, someone who you strangely feel an admiration for, without even knowing them.

now imagine what they're wearing.

if you need to buy any new items to go, i suggest you try to limit them to one or two pieces and make sure you have worn them at least once before in social surroundings (even shopping) so that you can feel more relaxed in them.

have a great time!

maestrowork
03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
'you are so destructive. always destroying things. your pen stops working, you throw it away. you type one wong letter in a word, you delete the whole word. you make one mistake on the page, you crush it into a paper ball. whats that all about?'

'honestly maiju, i haven't got a phucking clue.'

Nique, is that intentional?

LOL

P.H.Delarran
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
if you need to buy any new items to go, i suggest you try to limit them to one or two pieces and make sure you have worn them at least once before in social surroundings (even shopping) so that you can feel more relaxed in them.
this is such amazingly good advice. I can't tell you how many times I go on a shopping spree before a trip and find myself not comfy in my clothes. especially shoes. visualizing yourself is also excellent advice.
have fun at the conference rhymegirl.

rhymegirl
04-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Well after reading everybody's advice I decided to buy a navy blue pinstriped suit--slacks and fitted jacket. It's really nice. If I can fit anything under the jacket I'll be able to remove it if I feel like it. Also have navy blue dress. And have the comfortable shoes.

And thanks to Nique for that idea of wearing the outfit(s) ahead of time to feel more comfortable.