- Write three blog posts per week
- Write three tweets per day

Content consumption:
- Read one short story daily
- Read at least one chapter in a novel daily
- Watch one hour of scifi/fantasy programming daily

Longer-Term Goals:
June-August 2014 - The Summer of Done
- Finish and polish one novel of 80,000 to 100,000 words with an eye toward submitting to agents in the fall

September-November 2014 - Short Fiction Fall
- Finish one item of short fiction per week for three months using my ideas list, submit each to a paying market upon completion

December 2014-March 2015 - The Winter of Working Together
- Work with partner to write his scifi idea into a novel

April-August 2015 - Sequel Spring
- Complete the sequel to the novel finished in the Summer of Done

This is the plan based on data from the last six months. My writing average is now 3k/day, but I’d like to get that up to 5k by either adding writing hours or minimizing distractions. Right now, I have a steady three hours a day set aside for writing. I’d love to up it to five. We’ll see how that works in real life. One factor is how much laundry I’m willing to ignore. ;)

The goals that give me the most trouble involve reading. I’ve carved out dedicated writing time, but I haven’t yet found a workable daily reading time. Next week, I’m going to start waking up at 5:45 to try 6-7:00am.

Also, looking at this, I don’t love the idea of waiting most of a year to work on the sequel to my YA scifi novel. I may overlap it with Short Fiction Fall by working on the book on weekdays and short stories on the weekend.

I also really need to quit my Storium game. I’m not getting much satisfaction or even writing practice out of it. We just run around shooting stuff. :(

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

May you fulfill your goals!

One way I've increased my reading is to read while taking a 30 minute walk inside the house. My reading has increased tremendously since I started.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jane Berry

Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

May you fulfill your goals!

One way I've increased my reading is to read while taking a 30 minute walk inside the house. My reading has increased tremendously since I started.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Interesting idea -- I do have access to a large library of audiobooks. I can walk outside while listening. Thanks!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Great goals, good luck :)

I really like the idea of Storium but I can't get anyone to join me in a serious way... sigh.

Jane Berry

Registered
Reaction score
Great goals, good luck :)

I really like the idea of Storium but I can't get anyone to join me in a serious way... sigh.

Yeah, Storium can be problematic for writers. If you struggle with getting your butt in the chair daily, joining a game can be just the prompt you need. But if you're better about regular writing and you have projects to finish, it can be a time-sink.

I'm in a game with a group of guys who love to shoot stuff. Praise each other left and right for the goriest scenes. When I add something with a little more nuance... they're polite enough not to say anything, but no one engages with my character. They go right back to shooting stuff.

I'm finding the game to be not as much writing practice as I imagined. Just something I dread doing.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, some serious goals there! Good luck with them and, remember, enjoy! :D

About the game, I feel you. I had similar frustrations about an writing RPG I played -- too many participants would ignore the leads I found interesting to leap from spaceships (going at supersonic speeds), lasers blazing.

Last edited:

WhirlyGirly

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's impressive that you're already regularly doing 3k a day! Good luck meeting your goal of 5k. I think my hands would cramp. ;)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! You are quite ambitious, and organized! Best of luck to you!

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
Yowzer!

Wow!! That's awesome :) You sound like you mean business! Keep working towards them, but don't forget to be kind to yourself if you fall short...you've already accomplished a great deal!

Jane Berry

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!! That's awesome :) You sound like you mean business! Keep working towards them, but don't forget to be kind to yourself if you fall short...you've already accomplished a great deal!

Thanks! I've already revised my daily editing page count down from 10 to 6. It's taking much longer to go from draft 1 to 2 than I imagined. The world building is taking a lot of research!

Jon W

Registered
Reaction score
Good to see the goals others set for themselves.

You sound very motivated, good luck and keep it up!

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Jane, hello from Tacoma. :) Nifty goals! That's something I need to do. I tend to write anywhere from 4-8k per day at night till early am--cuz I'm a night owl, lol. And on weekends I'll hole myself up for the entire day writing. I'm also an obsessive editor. I edit my work daily, the day after I've written it. I work 9-5 M-F and have a family, so it's definitely a juggle in time, but it helps that my family is really supportive of me.

Anyway, good luck on your goals. I know you can do it! Happy goal-meeting! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.