Can a first novel be the first in a series?

what?

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a book and the end cries for a sequel. I can delete the theme that remains unresolved and turn it into a standalone, or I can leave some threads open at the end and deliver a second volume.

The problem is: this is my first novel and I read that publishers like to test the waters for new writes with standalones, before they commit to a whole series that might not sell.

How serious of a drawback is it for my submission to be accepted, if it is the first volume in a two- or more-volume series?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're very unlikely to be able to sell a novel which ends with a cliffhanger.

You might be able to sell a standalone novel with series potential.

You might be offered a two-book deal if you sell your first novel.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
You're very unlikely to be able to sell a novel which ends with a cliffhanger.
I rephrased that part of my question: the book does not end in a cliffhanger, but I can leave some things open and unresolved.

Example: (a) I can give my protagonist a known past and the book ends when the current quest is resolved. (b) Or I can have the same character awake in an unfamiliar world and end the novel with him having resolved the current quest but still not knowing where he came from. I feel this unresolved mystery is not a problem even for a standalone book, if the main focus of the story is elsewhere and this other, more immediate quest is intense enough to overshadow the identity riddle.

The book might end with: Okay, you arrived here and had no time to think about where you came from because you were relentlessly hunted and had not a moment of quiet. Now that we took care of not getting killed, let's finally take a breath and then find out where you came from and how to get you back there.

Both versions of the book will be essentially the same, except for the one version having a protagonist that belongs on this world and knows his past, and the other having a protagonist who appears to be a stranger to this world and does not know his past. It will only be the last sentence that opens up the possibility for a second volume.

Hope that better explains my question.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any book at all can be the first of a series.

It doesn't have to end with a cliffhanger or even a suggestion that it is the first of a series.

Thing to remember is that unless the 'first' book sells there won't be any series - hence the standalone recommendation.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a book and the end cries for a sequel. I can delete the theme that remains unresolved and turn it into a standalone, or I can leave some threads open at the end and deliver a second volume.

The problem is: this is my first novel and I read that publishers like to test the waters for new writes with standalones, before they commit to a whole series that might not sell.

How serious of a drawback is it for my submission to be accepted, if it is the first volume in a two- or more-volume series?

My agent wanted a series to pitch. So, although I had queried agents with "This is a steampunk novel with series potential," he wanted synopses for the sequels before we went out on submission with it. But he seems to like selling series (and presumably has the connections to do so).

If the book feels equally strong as a standalone or more of the start of a series, I would just do whatever you feel most comfortable with. If one or the other is a stronger book, go with that.

I've heard that publishers like to invest in authors so, though they might only buy one book from a debut author, they still like to see that author has the potential to produce more if the book is successful. YMMV.