First 3 chapters or first 50 pages?

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
Most agents say 'send the first 3 chapters or fifty pages.' Which is it? What size pages? A4 or standard paperback book pages?

Some say 'send the first 3 chapters or 10000 words.'

I only ask because the agents are so strict. If I submit too much or not enough they will throw my sample in the trash.

Many thanks.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
3 full chapters or 50 pages, both tend to round roughly (if they ask for 3 chapters or 50 and you're at 53, for example, or you hit 48 to send 3 chapters, you're fine; it is a ballpark) but they're talking manuscript pages; you won't have your book printed to paperback then submit it to publishers....

that said, they aren't strict. they want about 50 pages, or 3 chapters. The third line you wrote suggests either you are very new and unfamiliar with the entire process, including agents, or trolling, because it is so hyperbolic.....

Last edited:

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
The third line you wrote suggests either you are very new and unfamiliar with the entire process, including agents, or trolling, because it is so hyperbolic.....

Thanks. And no. Not trolling. I was serious.

I've read on many agents websites, 'if you don't follow the guidelines we won't deal with your query.'

I would say that's strict, so I would like to get everything clear before I submit.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
that's because they get tons of submissions each day with no query at all, or an entire manuscript when they asked for ten pages.

Guidelines are there, you ignore them at your peril, but they aren't as absolute as you are thinking they are.

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
that's because they get tons of submissions each day with no query at all, or an entire manuscript when they asked for ten pages.

Guidelines are there, you ignore them at your peril, but they aren't as absolute as you are thinking they are.

Thanks. I understand.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Agreeing that it's manuscript pages. Also go to the closest convenient break. Don't send 10 pages if it stops in the middle of a sentence, for instance.

So, when agents ask for the first 25 pages, I send them 27, because that's where chapter three ends. All agents I've talked to have been cool with it.

Following the directions is weed out the folks who send snail mail when it says only to query by email, to weed out those who think that if the agent says send a one-page query letter it's okay to send a three page one, to weed out the folks who don't send the requested pages with the packet.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score

Agreeing that it's manuscript pages. Also go to the closest convenient break. Don't send 10 pages if it stops in the middle of a sentence, for instance.

So, when agents ask for the first 25 pages, I send them 27, because that's where chapter three ends. All agents I've talked to have been cool with it.

Following the directions is weed out the folks who send snail mail when it says only to query by email, to weed out those who think that if the agent says send a one-page query letter it's okay to send a three page one, to weed out the folks who don't send the requested pages with the packet.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but if my chapters are short should I send 50 pages? 3 chapters would only be about 14 pages.

Thanks.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to send whichever is closer. If each chapter is like two pages, then send fifty pages. If your first chapter is fifty pages, just send one.

This isn't as big of a deal as say, attaching things to your email when they say pasted in the body, or something.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If they say first 3 chapters or 50 pages, I send close to 50 pages. If they say first 3 chapters, I send the 27 pages, because that's where the first 3 ends.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal