PDA

View Full Version : Bethany Walkers/Anfal Khaliq, serial plagiarist

aliceshortcake
08-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm Bethany Walkers, a very young author and student living in the UK. I've written two books, Show No Mercy and Race. I'm currently working on my third book, Crashed Into You...

The most books I've read in one day is ten. I love books. Deal with it! :)

At the moment I'm roughly 10% done with Crashed Into You :) I am on track for it to have an early release - maybe 1/2 months earlier.

When I'm done with writing Crashed Into You, I'm going to write a book called Save Me. After that, I am going to write a book called Chained. Then I am going to write a book called Dream Come True. :)
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7792667.Bethany_Walkers

Mercy! How on earth does she find the time to study?

Quite easily, actually.

Walkers' first book, which was published through CreateSpace, was released on 5th March. It opens with a poem, presumably by Walkers herself since it isn't attributed to anyone else:

When I lay and think, in my bed at night,
the day you'll arrive seems nowhere in sight.
I toss and I turn, dreaming of you,
opening my eyes...checking if my dream came true.

(And more in the same McGonagallesque vein.)

Two days later Walkers' second novel, Race, hit Amazon's virtual bookshelves. Impressive, eh? Her Goodreads page includes quotes from Race in the form of short poems, beginning with

It's a race of breaths,
A race of love and longing
It's a race of heartbearts,
My heart is racing on.

Anyway, back to Show No Mercy. It didn't take fans of the romance genre long to find a number of strange similarities between Walkers' novel and several books by Colleen Hoover, including the following:

"Sophie, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more. So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am. you can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight."
From Show No Mercy

"Sky, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more. So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am. You can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight."
From Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

"Okay. Would you rather I looked like Leonardo Dicaprio or Justin Timberlake"
"Ryan Gosling," she says.
She answers a little too fast for my comfort. "What the hell, Sophie? You're supposed to say Mitchell! You're supposed to say you want me to look like me!"
"But you weren't one of the options," she says.
"Neither was Ryan Gosling!"
From Show No Mercy

"Okay. Would you rather I looked like Hugh Jackman or George Clooney?”
“Johnny Depp,” she says.
She answers a little too fast for my comfort. “What the hell, Lake? You’re supposed to say Will! You’re supposed to say you want me to look like me!”
“But you weren't one of the options,” she says.
“Neither was Johnny Depp!”
From Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

A quote from Show No Mercy on Walkers' Goodread page reveals that she didn't confine herself to Colleen Hoover's work:

“Babe, just confide in me your deepest feelings, tell me your fantasies, and they shall all be fulfilled. I will do anything it takes to make you happy because that is the only thing that matters to me anymore. You are perfect in my eyes, and there is absolutely nothing that I would ever change about you. I know that no one can be perfect but you, Babe, in my eyes, are as perfect as anyone could be. It leaves me amazed, yet blessed, to have found someone as special as you are."

This was lifted from a sample letter by Dr Mel Luthy:

Babe, just confide in me your deepest feelings, tell me your fantasies, and they shall all be fulfilled. I will do anything it takes to make you happy because that is the only thing that matters to me anymore. You are perfect in my eyes, and there is absolutely nothing that I would ever change about you. I know that no one can be perfect but you, Babe, in my eyes, are as perfect as anyone could be. It leaves me amazed, yet blessed, to have found someone as special as you are.
http://www.writeexpress.com/missin67.html

Every single quote from Show No Mercy was lifted from the same source.

You get the picture. But what about that introductory poem? A Google search turns up DOZENS of possible sources and attributions. It's been going the rounds for years. The oldest source I could find dates back to 2002: http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/topic/a-tear-on-my-pillow-37/

Walkers also plagiarized Hoover's own poetry from her book Slammed!

In addition, part of Show No Mercy's plot was lifted from the 2002 film Memento or its 2008 Bollywood version Ghajini. Which leads me neatly to the source material of Walkers' second novel Race:

Noah and Ronan are half brothers. They co-own a stud farm in South Africa. The brothers couldn't be more different; Noah is shrewd and volatile whereas the laid-back Ronan is in the grip of alcoholism. Owning a farm isn't the only thing that ties the brothers together; there are also women in their lives: Noah's long-term girlfriend Chantelle, who is an American ramp model, and Alice, Noah's personal secretary, who is in love with her boss. But true love doesn't always run smoothly, and both Chantelle and Alice become involved with the wayward brother Ronan. When emotions run high, violence often plays a role. Now, there is a murder, and a contract killer is on the loose. Who is next on the target list?
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Bethany-Walkers/dp/149613902X

Compare and contrast the synopsis with the plot of another Bollywood hit...Race:

A voice-over by RD (Anil Kapoor) introduces the four main characters: Ranvir Singh (Saif Ali Khan) who runs a successful business he inherited from his father. His younger brother Rajiv Singh (Akshaye Khanna) who mooches off of Ranvir and is an alcoholic. Ranvir is dating an upcoming model Sonia (Bipasha Basu), while his personal assistant Sophia (Katrina Kaif) appears to be secretly in love with him. Ranvir is also involved in an intense competition with a rival horse-owner Kabir (Dilip Tahil). The film opens with a murder plot involving a car accident which Ranvir narrowly survives. When Ranvir loses money in a race because his jockey had been bribed by Kabir, Ranvir plants a bomb in the jockey's car and kills him, showing Ranvir to be a ruthless businessman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(2008_film)

Yes...Walkers couldn't even be bothered to think up an original title. The previously quoted poem from her novel Race is an English translation of Sameer's lyrics from the film Race! A couple of others are also Hindi song lyrics.

I've saved the best for last. You may recognise one of Walkers' poems from Race:

Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
You make me feel like I am whole again
You make me feel like I am young again
You make me feel like I am fun again
However far away, I will always love you
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/39921437-race

Sounds familiar? No wonder - they're the lyrics of Lovesong by Robert Smith, written for the Cure but better-known through Adele's 2011 version!

I've long suspected that CreateSpace and other vanity/self-pub platforms are a gift to plagiarists, but this is a particularly egregious - and stupid - example. After being exposed Walkers took down her blog and website and vanished from Facebook and Twitter. With any luck Crashed Into You, Save Me, Chained and Dream Come True will never see the light of day.

shakeysix
08-08-2014, 07:15 PM
It would be funny if it wasn't so scary! --s6

aliceshortcake
08-08-2014, 07:46 PM
It's absolutely astounding. Have these idiots never used Google?

heza
08-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I notice you've posted two plagiarism stories today. Out of curiosity, are you affiliated with anti-plagiarism group? Or did you just happen to see both these stories in quick succession?

aliceshortcake
08-08-2014, 07:57 PM
One led to another, as these things tend to do!

RevanWright
08-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Wow...that's actually pretty frightening. I wonder how she thought she'd get away with plagiarism of that magnitude?
Do you know how much she was charging for the book, or whether she was charging at all?

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
From her Scribd page:

I'm Bethany Walkers, author of two bestselling books, Show No Mercy and Race. I'm currently working on my third book...
http://www.scribd.com/bethany6walkers

Show No Mercy is now "out of stock" on Amazon.com, but the paperback is still available on Amazon.co.uk for £6.99. A few reviews mention that the Kindle version cost 99 cents. Oddly enough, a couple of days ago I could have sworn that a Google search turned up a claim by Walkers that Show No Mercy had been downloaded thousands of times for free - hence her claim to be a bestselling author!

There's also something a bit fishy about a prolific teenage author whose name was mentioned in connection with Walkers'. I'm looking into this now.

Thuro
08-11-2014, 11:44 AM
This is...astounding.

By the way have I mentioned my story about the Y-Men? A group of people with special powers called Mutates?

Becky Black
08-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Wow, a pure "Find and Replace" on the names and nothing else changed at all going by those snippets. Not even the minor jiggery pokery some plagiarist do to avoid being quite so obvious. Lazy plagiarist is lazy.

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Bethany's familiarity with Hindi films and songs suggests to me that she is British Asian. Oddly enough, her name (or pen name!) has been linked on Goodreads with that of another prolific young British Asian author, Anfal Khaliq, who's currently working on her eighth novel at the grand old age of fifteen:

I've put a lot of thought into my work. When someone likes my books, it makes me feel amazing and makes all of the hard work worthwile. xx

I live in Manchester, UK, and I either have my head stuck in a book or I live in front of my laptop outside of school hours. I love a good book, so if you have any recommendations for me, send them my way!
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7134203.Anfal_Khaliq

Something sounds familiar...

I like rap. Any recommendations? Send them my way!
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7792667.Bethany_Walkers

One of Ms Khaliq's many books is Three-Legged Madness, a 46-page novella published last October through CreateSpace. Here's the back cover blurb:

My family's weird. I know everyone says that but we are DEFINITELY weird. My eldest sister is 17 going on 70, my other sister is away with the fairies (literally - her room is like heaven to whoever invented fairy lights) and my little brother is a space cadet who's obsessed with finding cheese on the moon. Me? Somehow, I ended up normal, but it's a struggle, let me tell you ... and I will tell you about Dad's birthday - as soon as I get this vibrating three-legged cat off my head ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Legged-Madness-Anfal-Khaliq/dp/1493596799/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1407741722&sr=8-15&keywords=anfal+khaliq

The first words:

Dear Mum,

I've decided to do something.

Don't panic: it's not like I'm about to pierce my lip, or enrol for the next Mars mission, or run away with the circus and juggle clowns or something.

But lo, what have we here? In 2001 Karen McCombie published the first book in her popular Ally's World series, The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl. Compare and contrast...

My family's weird. I know everyone says that, but we are definitely weird. My eldest sister is 17 going on 70, my other sister is away with the fairies (literally - her room is a shrine to whoever invented fairy lights) and my little brother is a space cadet who's obsessed with Rolf Harris. Me? I somehow ended up normal, but it's a struggle, let me tell you...and I will tell you - soon as I get this vibrating three-legged cat off my head...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Past-Present-Loud-Allys-World/dp/1407117610/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407742955&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=karen+mccrombie

Note Khaliq's very original substitution of lunar cheese for Rolf Harris, 'heaven' for 'shrine' and the addition of Dad's birthday, by the way. It may well be the only original writing in the book, which from what I can see from the Look Inside feature is identical to the Prologue of McCombie's Loud, Loud Girl.

So far I've been unable to find any evidence of plagiarism in Khaliq's other books, but her style doesn't seem consistent and a couple of them read like fanfic written by different people.

Ms Khaliq's sister Sanna is also a self-published author whose works include a retelling of Snow White - illustrated with stills from the Disney film!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-White-Sanna-Khaliq/dp/1492364762/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407754291&sr=1-1&keywords=sanna+khaliq+snow+white

Stolen artwork is used liberally by both sisters. They obviously have no understanding of copyright.

*Looks forward to reading Thuro's story about Professor Y, Magneato, Tempest, Animal and co*

chompers
08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Somebody send that illustrated book to Disney. I'm sure they won't like having someone making money off of them. Authors might not pursue legal action, but I think a big company like Disney will at least send a letter that'll make these plagiarizing sisters think twice.

Filigree
08-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Disney regards those films as capital investments and defends them zealously.

Amazon has been notified; I'll send a link to Disney later this morning.

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Ha! I've just found a Smashwords 'interview' in which Anfal Khaliq names Karen McCombie as one of her favourite writers:

https://www.smashwords.com/interview/anfalkhaliq

I emailed Ms McCombie about this shameless plagiarism and she in turn has informed her publisher.

Wilde_at_heart
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Mercy! How on earth does she find the time to study?

I've saved the best for last. You may recognise one of Walkers' poems from Race:

Sounds familiar? No wonder - they're the lyrics of Lovesong by Robert Smith, written for the Cure but better-known through Adele's 2011 version!

I've long suspected that CreateSpace and other vanity/self-pub platforms are a gift to plagiarists, but this is a particularly egregious - and stupid - example. After being exposed Walkers took down her blog and website and vanished from Facebook and Twitter. With any luck Crashed Into You, Save Me, Chained and Dream Come True will never see the light of day.

THIS will get the author burned if any recording company rights holder comes across this - music copyright is NOT something you mess with.

Provided they find out, that is.

Undercover
08-11-2014, 04:50 PM
That's so awful. And sad. And she's only fifteen?

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I've also emailed Disney. Sanna has also has written a Disney-illustrated version of Cinderella.

*Facepalm*

I couldn't find an email address for the Universal Music Publishing Group, which owns the rights to Lovesong, but I've sent them a Tweet.

Frankly I'm not 100% convinced that Bethany Walkers/Anfal Khaliq are whom they claim to be. Some of Khaliq's books first saw the light of day as Lulu e-books in 2011, when she would have been only twelve years old:
http://anfalkhaliq786.wordpress.com/

ETA: Oh dear. Knowing of 'Bethany Walkers'' penchant for basing books on films I wasn't altogether surprised to come across this:

Summary of my book 'Enemies Always' - a book for teenagers and anyone who likes a good scare!

‎07-12-2011 12:34

OK, a brief summary of my book:
This book is based on a movie, you will find out more in the book. It is about a man who suffers illness and his life's gone to pieces. His girlfriend has died, he's got no job anymore, has short term memory loss and on top of that all he's got his worse enemy planning to kill him. So what can he do now?

Anfal Khaliq - Greater Manchester, UK
http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Author-Workshop/Summary-of-my-book-Enemies-Always-a-book-for-teenagers-and/td-p/101109

Someone asked:

Completely aside form formatting and editing issues I really question the ethics (and even the legality) of basing your book on someone else's work unless you have obtained explicit permission to do so.

To which Khaliq replied:

i have made sure that this book is not based on the movie i have said, only very very few ideas. it would seem as if i haven't copied the work at all, i have also given a copyright notice about permissions and things, so its ok.

Well, that's all right then.

By the way, I love the contrast between the avatars in posts 13 and 14!

Cyia
08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Actually, the "I'm a very young author and student..." part of her bio would lead me to believe she (or maybe he) is older than presented. Most "very young" authors / students don't tag themselves that way. I'd venture to guess that most don't even think of themselves that way. "Very young" is a designation of an older person.

Filigree
08-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Alice, I've notified Disney from this side of the pond.

I agree that 'Sanna', 'Anfal', and 'Bethany' may not be the age they claim.

There's also a religious angle that I'm not posting here, but for which I'm still gathering evidence to send to UK authorities.

Marlys
08-11-2014, 05:46 PM
I think it's possible she is that young, or close to it. Googling around finds someone with that name getting an award at a primary school in 2010, and the same school has a person with her sister's name getting perfect attendance in 2013. From what I understand of English schools, primary school goes to age 10 or 11.

Marlys
08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Adding, it's still a stupid and illegal thing for her to do, but it does change my perception a bit if Khaliq really is 15 and her sister maybe 12. On the practical side, there's virtually no chance of suing her for damages or anything, and the most legally she'd get is a slap on the wrist.

If, through Facebook or her blog or something someone can figure out how to contact one of her parents or a teacher at her current school, that might be the way to go.

Marian Perera
08-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Some of Khaliq's books first saw the light of day as Lulu e-books in 2011, when she would have been only twelve years old:

Move over, Gloria Tesch (http://conjugalfelicity.com/a-trip-inside-the-mind-of-team-tesch/)!

Filigree
08-11-2014, 06:17 PM
That's best left to someone in that area, I suspect. I sent off my information about two specific Khaliq books to UK authorities; whether the 'sisters' are actual teens or adults pretending to be teens, books condoning honor killing and the threat of honor killing are no laughing matter.

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 09:46 PM
I've just found a PDF extract from Anfal Khaliq's Enemies Always, published by Lulu in 2011.

Note by the author:

This book is based on the Indian movie, Ghajini. But I
have changed it around and made it into a book from
my point of view. I have also turned it into an English
version rather than a Hindi one. I wouldn‟t
recommend this for children under twelve years old.
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/excerpt.pdf

So it's basically the same book as Bethany Walkers' Show No Mercy - proof that nobody has ever seen Bethany and Anfal in the same room at the same time! The borrowings from Colleen Hoover's books Hopeless, Slammed! and Point of Retreat must have been added later as none of them had been published yet.

Filigree
08-11-2014, 10:34 PM
:Wha:

Wow.

RevanWright
08-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Great investigative work, Alice!

It's one thing to write fanfic, or even rip someone's story off for your own spin (pretty much still fanfic). But this kind of plagiarism...and she's selling it as her own? Nope.
Even if she is young, this is a lesson she'll have to learn if she wants to be an author.

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Holy cut-and-paste, Ratman*!

*My totally original crime-fighting character, who dedicated himself to the cause of justice when his parents were killed by cat burglars. Coming soon from CreateSpace!

Twitter has got hold of this tomfoolery and it seems that Ms Khaliq may also have plagiarized Mark Haddon. And I've just noticed that the plot of her Remember Me is clearly based on The Lovely Bones.

Alexandra Little
08-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Move over, Gloria Tesch (http://conjugalfelicity.com/a-trip-inside-the-mind-of-team-tesch/)!

I've lost half of my day thanks to that site. But then again, it's hard to look away from train wrecks.

aliceshortcake
08-11-2014, 11:29 PM
This is the bit I couldn't find earlier:

March 6, 2014

Paperbacks xx
Show No Mercy is now available in paperback:) http://www.amazon.com/Show-No-Mercy-B...

Race is being a really pain on me and I keep on having issues with submitting the cover. But it will also be ready for paperback in the near future.

Again, thanks for all the Kindle downloads! I'm now in the top 100 bestselling free Kindle books on the Amazon UK site and have had thousands and thousands of downloads on Amazon.com too! xxx I really appreciate everything you've done for me guys! You can still download until the end of Friday 7th!

Thank you for all your kindness and support, and best wishes to you all.

Bethany xxx
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7792667.Bethany_Walkers/blog

Thousands and thousands? Pull the other one, Bethany. I mean Anfal.

Maggie Maxwell
08-11-2014, 11:33 PM
I've lost half of my day thanks to that site. But then again, it's hard to look away from train wrecks.

Oh good, it's not just me then. I had to read the whole sagas from the top two trainwrecks. Wow. Just, wow.

Gravity
08-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Crap. And here I was, ready to announce my opus Fifty Shades of Laid, about a callow yuppie guy abasing himself daily to his sexually ravenous lady employer's every whim. Maybe if I changed the title ... ?

Alexandra Little
08-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Oh good, it's not just me then. I had to read the whole sagas from the top two trainwrecks. Wow. Just, wow.

I think I've finished most of the Robert Stanek debacle; now, onto the others!

shakeysix
08-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Wasted the whole afternoon on this and Maradonia Moronia but I was hooked by that line in the Maradonia editor's review of the novel she edited. "You got the tension in these two black moments perfect." --s6

mirandashell
08-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Yeah.... I raised an eyebrow at that.

Marian Perera
08-12-2014, 12:49 AM
I recently looked up Stanek on Amazon, just to see what the latest was.

He's republished ten-year-old fantasy novels of his under titles like A Clash of Heroes, A Storm of Shields, A Dance of Swords. Yeah, he's hoping to piggyback on George R. R. Martin's fame.

Sheryl Nantus
08-12-2014, 12:59 AM
This is probably the biggest plague on self-publishing that I can think of.

Yes, there *have* been stories of trade publishing houses taking on works that have been plagiarized from other authors but usually that's discovered quickly enough and dealt with. Lawyers get involved fast enough and publishing houses move quickly enough to protect their authors.

This crap goes on and on and on with Amazon refusing to do a thing other than to keep making money off of a criminal's work.

I'd love to see some of the SP gurus step forward and start a movement to chase these criminals out of their ranks. Every time a story breaks it looks bad for all the hardworking self-publisher who play by the rules and end up getting screwed while Amazon rakes in the dough.

Filigree
08-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Same here, Sheryl. I just blogged about it today: what can be the California Gold Rush for some authors, becomes Chernobyl for others. I've also either started or inadvertently continued #PlagiaristsArePathetic.

I notice that the SP gurus tend to be suspiciously silent on the issue.

mirandashell
08-12-2014, 01:30 AM
I did think about self-publishing but all the reports on plagarism put me off totally. It's like the Wild West before the sheriffs.

Hoplite
08-12-2014, 01:37 AM
I recently looked up Stanek on Amazon, just to see what the latest was.

He's republished ten-year-old fantasy novels of his under titles like A Clash of Heroes, A Storm of Shields, A Dance of Swords. Yeah, he's hoping to piggyback on George R. R. Martin's fame.

I looked it up as well. Those books are all part of series called (something to the effect of) "The Keeper Martin's Tales". Oh, just another key word that would link him to G.R.R.M's stuff.

JustSarah
08-12-2014, 02:05 AM
What get's me, is how it makes other honest self-publishers look bad.

Filigree
08-12-2014, 03:03 AM
That's really my problem, beyond the stolen earnings; all these idiots taking shortcuts are the ones who drag down the really great, diligent self-publishing authors I know. The former are the ones who, when they chirp 'Oh, I'm self-published!' make me strongly tempted to ask, 'Yes, but are you any good?'

BenPanced
08-12-2014, 03:48 AM
Especially since so many of them are in slow motion.

Crap. And here I was, ready to announce my opus Fifty Shades of Laid, about a callow yuppie guy abasing himself daily to his sexually ravenous lady employer's every whim. Maybe if I changed the title ... ?
John Robinson: A Memoir

Helix
08-12-2014, 03:58 AM
Anfal Khaliq was certainly aware of the 'Bethany Walkers' plagiarism issue, because she tweeted about it in April (https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/450682434489942016).

ETA: That 'Sherlock' account looks as though it's been set up by someone who had made the connection between the two names. The whole thing is tangled and messy.

Channy
08-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Possibly someone else who also managed to make the connection between the two names and wanted to try and bring it to light...?

Or am I really grasping at straw men there.

aliceshortcake
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Sherlock's semi-literate Tweets are painful to read but he/she certainly has strong views about plagiarism. What a shame he/she doesn't have the investigative skills of his/her namesake.

Oh, and do have a look at Khaliq's Twitter:

Hey y'all, I spend way too much time on Twitter, gonna start cutting down a lot, need to focus more on revision and stuff so yeah x
https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites

What's the betting that she'll soon go the way of 'Bethany Walkers', ie vanish from social media altogether? And someone is having a bit of fun at Khaliq's expense:

Retweeted by Anfal
Namra♡ @NamraRazzaq1 · 15h
Can't believe this gal > @mamakiladli stole @AnfalWrites bio!! What's wrong with her? She doesn't even look 15 she looks 18!!

Anfal @AnfalWrites · 15h
LOL why would you copy my bio? You're not a writer and you're probably not 15 either. And you follow me?! @mamakiladli

Mamakiladli stole Anfal's bio! The filthy plagiarist!

Anfal @AnfalWrites · 17h
Getting an email from a reader saying that they really enjoyed your book is actually such an amazing feeling!!!

Confession time! That was me. I emailed her to say how much my (imaginary) daughter and I loved Three-Legged Madness, the novella she plagiarized from Karen McCombie's The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl. All I got in return was a brief "thank you so much!" She didn't reply to my second email in which I called her out on her plagiarism of McCombie and, in her Bethany Walkers persona, of Colleen Hoover and others. Well, unless you count her decision to cut down on Twitter as a response...

In case you were wondering what's happening re. the Three-Legged Madness situation, Karen McCombie's editor has been in touch with the Rights Department at Scholastic (I was both impressed and appalled to hear that they have a book piracy hotline). Let's hope that they take decisive action! As for the rest of Khaliq's collected works, it seems unlikely that a "writer" would produce just one plagiarized book:

Kate ‏@Magic_Kitten 20h
@Yayeahyeah @Kerensd @KarenMcCombie @mark_haddon she seems to have a huge list of books loosely based on CBBC dramas from what I could tell
https://twitter.com/KarenMcCombie/status/498772474172284928

Helix
08-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I've just found a PDF extract from Anfal Khaliq's Enemies Always, published by Lulu in 2011.

So it's basically the same book as Bethany Walkers' Show No Mercy - proof that nobody has ever seen Bethany and Anfal in the same room at the same time! The borrowings from Colleen Hoover's books Hopeless, Slammed! and Point of Retreat must have been added later as none of them had been published yet.

I'm just reading that extract from Enemies Always. It is so close to Ghajini that the names of the main characters are the same: Sanjay Singhania, Kalpana...and Ghajini.

aliceshortcake
08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Many thanks to Helix for bringing the following conversation to my attention. It's from a Lulu forum dated 2011, when Khaliq was supposedly only twelve years old:

HOW TO BLOCK GOOGLE?
‎07-20-2011 07:36

I WANT TO BLOCK GOOGLE AND OTHER SEARCH ENGINES FROM LISTING MY LULU BOOKS, BUT WOULD STILL LIKE MY BOOKS TO BE LISTED ON LULU. HOW CAN I DO THIS?
Anfal Khaliq - Greater Manchester, UK

Peter May replies:

I don't understand.

You have three different websites naming and publicising your books -- Google will find them too.

Surely the more people find your books the better - why did you create all those websites if you didn't want Google to find out about your books?

Khaliq again:

hi peter, i don't want my lulu products on google because i've put some personal information on lulu, and people will find out this, such as my organization name. they might track me down!

sorry, i'm sounding a bit weird and scared. i am weird.

DRichardson knows why she's so nervous:

Please forgive me if this is completely wrong, but is this anything to do with the fact that using TinEye on your covers shows that they use graphics from anime and manga - and one is from the movie 'The Matrix'.

And one of the books uses a picture of Aamir Khan, that he has posted on his blog - again forgive me if I am wrong, but I can't help thinking that you probably don't have permission to use his picture on your book cover.

You do say on the other that the image is copyright 'google images' - but google images is just a search engine, not the holders of the copyright of any images that you might find with it. You would need the explicit permission of the picture's copyright holder.

If this is indeed the case, I advise you to change your covers to pictures that either you own the copyright for, or are definitely copyright free, and as suggested above, ones that are relevant to the book's contents.
http://connect.lulu.com/t5/General-Discussions/HOW-TO-BLOCK-GOOGLE/m-p/103357#M19051

So Khaliq can't claim ignorance of copyright laws.

JustSarah
08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
So apparently cutting down on twitter makes one a copywrite infringer? Maybe she is cutting down on twitter, but you know how many people don't use twitter?

And there are perfectly valid reasons for removing yourself from the internet. It's not always this book related thing.

Not defending her, just making a point.

Helix
08-12-2014, 03:58 PM
So apparently cutting down on twitter makes one a copywrite infringer? Maybe she is cutting down on twitter, but you know how many people don't use twitter?

And there are perfectly valid reasons for removing yourself from the internet. It's not always this book related thing.

Not respecting copyright makes someone a copyright infringer.

JustSarah
08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Not respecting copyright makes someone a copyright infringer.

What I was getting at, as someone prone to this sort of rechid theft, is going to do it with or without social networks.

aliceshortcake
08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
With respect, you're missing the point.

When Khaliq's alter-ego 'Bethany Walkers' was exposed as a plagiarist she quickly vanished from Facebook, Twitter and other social media. It just struck me as more than a coincidence that after Khaliq herself was outed she hinted that a gradual withdrawal from Twitter might be on the cards.

Why you thought I was implying that "cutting down on twitter makes one a copywrite[sic] infringer" I cannot imagine.

bearilou
08-12-2014, 04:33 PM
So Khaliq can't claim ignorance of copyright laws.

But she can claim not understanding them which is pretty obvious.

I notice that the SP gurus tend to be suspiciously silent on the issue.

Maybe they're busy writing? Just a thought.

What about some of the big name authors? Have they weighed in on it as well?

Wilde_at_heart
08-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Adding, it's still a stupid and illegal thing for her to do, but it does change my perception a bit if Khaliq really is 15 and her sister maybe 12. On the practical side, there's virtually no chance of suing her for damages or anything, and the most legally she'd get is a slap on the wrist.

If, through Facebook or her blog or something someone can figure out how to contact one of her parents or a teacher at her current school, that might be the way to go.

Looking at the sheer stupidity of some of the blunders (such as 'copyright Google images'), and thinking one can get away with lifting from a song that was covered only three years ago by one of the largest singers in the UK makes me inclined to agree with you.

That certainly doesn't make any of it any less appalling - not by a long stretch - but IF she is that young, then the parents or whoever is in charge of her payments account would be liable as well. And certainly the schools should know. One thing I hated when I was a kid was when other kids would try to get me to do their work or cheat off my tests. I can't see a kid cheating in the adult world and not cheating in the academic one too.

aliceshortcake
08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Ye gods!

User Actions
Follow

Anfal
‏@AnfalWrites
Woah, gained 400 followers since yesterday!
3:26 AM - 12 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/499139775392395265

I'm not sure they're all the kind of followers she'd like...

And I quite agree that her parents and school should know about this ASAP before she gets herself into any more trouble.

Netz
08-12-2014, 05:09 PM
:popcorn:

aliceshortcake
08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
It's so cheap and easy to be a "published author" these days. Dump your unrevised, unedited work - or somebody else's work - into the CreateSpace template, find a nice cover picture on the internet - after all, the artist or photographer is unlikely to find it! - and stick it on Amazon. That book-shaped thing with your name on the cover is proof that you're a published author, just like Stephen King and J K Rowling. Most of your family and friends won't know the first thing about publishing so they can't tell the difference between CreateSpace and Penguin. Tell your local newspaper - they probably won't care either!

It's like a cargo cult. Your sad little volume bears as much resemblance to a real published book as a contraption made of bamboo and string bears to a real plane. No wonder that talented writers who genuinely self-publish are appalled by the online slush pile and feel tarred with the same brush.

I've noticed that in many of her books Anfal Khaliq thanks her English teachers. When I was at school - and I'm referring to the 60s and 70s - teachers encouraged students with an interest in writing to publish in the school magazine or have their stories mimeographed and bound in little collections. Thanks to the internet, teenagers (and pre-teens) can now leap into print before they're old enough to grasp why copyright theft and plagiarism are as serious as more tangible forms of crime. "I enjoy this author's work so I'll use it to pad out my book..."; "I love this image of children playing in an amusement park made of chocolate so I'll put it on the cover..."*; why not?

*The painting on the cover of Sanna Khaliq's The Chocolate Robbery was created as part of an advertising campaign for biscuits. Lovely work, Mr Nithin Rao Kumblekar!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolate-Robbery-Sanna-Khaliq/dp/149235726X/ref=la_B00FOX1JG2_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407862862&sr=1-3

Karen Junker
08-12-2014, 09:54 PM
This is a derail, please feel free to ditch it.

Hey, Alice -- I happened upon this thread after spending most of yesterday morning reading online about another plagiarist, in the US this time: http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.com/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html#comment-form

Also, I just wanted to add to anyone who thinks a 12-year-old may not be capable of doing this -- when I was 11, I started an underground newspaper, for which I wrote most of the content. I tricked the school secretary into mimeographing hundreds of copies and distributed them to the students at my school. At 10, I organized a boycott of a global children's charity, when I found out that only a tiny fraction of the donations they receive actually go directly to the children (most of their money at the time went to administrative salaries, etc.). At 12, I organized protest marches in my state's capitol (for various things -- Viet Nam war, to make 'pay only' public toilets illegal, etc.). I have known other kids who were pretty capable at an early age.

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Karen, I think it's fairly obvious from the tone of her 2011 posts on that Lulu forum that even at the age of twelve Anfal knew that plagiarism/copyright infringement was wrong and was worried by the prospect of being found out. When nothing bad happened straight away I think she just got over-confident and took even bigger risks. "The producers of Ghajini didn't get to hear about my thinly-disguised Lulu novelization of the film, even though I used the characters' original names! Why don't I pad it out with chunks of Colleen Hoover's work and re-publish it through CreateSpace under a pen name?"

Let's not lose sight of the fact that although people like Anfal enjoy playing what Uncle Jim calls 'Published Author - the Role-Playing Game', in reality their books sell in tiny quantities and fly pretty much under the radar. I doubt if Anfal's books have made much money, but they've made her a very minor internet celeb as a teen author. The exposure of her alter-ego Bethany Walkers must have caused her some alarm, but she weathered the storm and it was really only by chance that I noticed the connection between Bethany and Anfal on Goodreads. I picked her book Three-Legged Madness at random, typed the first couple of sentences from the Amazon blurb in Google and hit pay dirt.

As has already been pointed out, the really maddening thing is that unless the plagiarized authors - and artists whose copyrighted work has been used without their consent - complain directly to Amazon, Goodreads etc there's very little that members of the public can do about the problem. I'm hoping that the Universal Music Publishing Group at least will flex its muscles and get the lyrics of Lovesong removed from Goodreads and the book Race, if it's still available.

Karen Junker
08-13-2014, 02:55 AM
I wonder if it would do any good to complain (not as the author, but as a member of the general public) to Amazon, Goodreads, etc?

If you take a look at this blog post on Smart Bitches Trashy Books, it tells of how they contacted Amazon and got some plagiarized material removed. Perhaps if you are willing to get in touch with them, they will do the same re: Anfal. http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/amazon-montlake-and-cassie-edwards-backlist

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I don't have a day job and I love to fight crime.

Roxxsmom
08-13-2014, 06:01 AM
How does this gal find the time to study (if she really is a student)? Easy. She probably cheats her way through her classes too.

Plagiarism is an issue I've been wondering about re self publishing for quite some time. Sounds like a legitimate worry. It's not impossible for trade-published books to incorporate the intellectual property of others, but at least the gatekeepers to trade publishing are people who are well enough versed in popular fiction within their preferred genres that they're likely to catch blatant rip offs of recent or well-known older work.

With it being so easy to toss a novel up on smashwords or Amazon, it would be amazing if author's intellectual property weren't being stolen right, left and center. If it's something that's already trade published, I suppose it's easy enough to get a cease and desist order or something (even if suing the plagiarizer for lost revenue isn't always practical). But more worrisome is the stealing of other self published work (since the author won't have a trade publisher and their legal team behind them).

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
I wonder if it would do any good to complain (not as the author, but as a member of the general public) to Amazon, Goodreads, etc?

If you take a look at this blog post on Smart Bitches Trashy Books, it tells of how they contacted Amazon and got some plagiarized material removed. Perhaps if you are willing to get in touch with them, they will do the same re: Anfal. http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/amazon-montlake-and-cassie-edwards-backlist

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I don't have a day job and I love to fight crime.

I'll follow this up, Karen, but I'm not all that hopeful. And I've sent the story to Smart Bitches anyway - they might be interested in using it as Colleen Hoover is a very popular romance novelist.

I managed to find an email address for artist Nithin Rao Kumblekar, whose painting Chocolate Land was stolen by Sanna Khaliq for the cover of her book The Chocolate Robbery. He's already been in touch with Amazon, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Meanwhile, Anfal Khaliq continues to demonstrate that she has nerves of steel. Remember "mamakiladli", who created a spoof Twitter account as a multi-published teenager? Khaliq is disgusted!

@AnfalWrites
@mamakiladli 24 followers already for having no originality ffs

11:19 AM - 12 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/499258775988355072

You really, really couldn't make this up.

Samsonet
08-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Arghghgh.

You know, sometimes I come across teens playing the Published Author RPG. I try to leave them alone, because I figure they'll grow out of it and it would be cruel to point out that they're not actually, well, published.

But they can be so doggone obnoxious about it.

Especially if they haven't even written their own books!

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Surely it can't be legal to use copyrighted material in book trailers? Because Khaliq has twelve of them on YouTube, all of them cobbled together from films, TV and photographs. One of them is for her upcoming crime novel Cut Me Deeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzbSu4wXM8&list=UUDXYSEWrgP4LOAszY_tuRLA

It opens with a lengthy clip from The Wolverine and includes an even lengthier clip from a futuristic thriller I don't recognise.

Helix
08-13-2014, 01:29 PM
What appear to be snippets from Paranormal Activity feature in the trailer for Remember Me.

I see that footage of Australian police cars pop up in the trailers for Cut Me Deeper and Rose-May.

I'd imagine she's made these herself, although there are probably many people on Fiverr who will do them. (Btw, did you know there's an even cheaper website -- Fourerr?)

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Paranormal Activity! I knew those clips looked familiar but the title escaped me. And were my eyes deceiving me or did we also get a quick glimpse of Taylor Swift in that same video?

*is not really conversant with popular culture*

ETA: Mods, I don't think there can be any doubt that 'Bethany Walkers' and Anfal Khaliq are the same person. Could you possibly change the thread title to reflect this? Thanks!

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 04:31 PM
I've had an email from Anfal Khaliq:

No, I don't write under the name Bethany Walkers. I'm sorry about the incident with Three-Legged Madness, I intended to only purchase one copy for my sister. And I truly am only 15. I will unpublish three-legged madness from Amazon.

In my reply I asked her to explain why in 2011 an Anfal Khaliq of Greater Manchester posted on a Lulu forum about her book Enemies Always, a thinly-disguised adaptation of the film Ghajini, and in 2014 Bethany Walkers published Show No Mercy...also an adaptation of Ghajini, this time with new material stolen from the work of Colleen Hoover.

Wilde_at_heart
08-13-2014, 04:41 PM
You can just edit the thread title in the OP by clicking 'go advanced' in the lower-right corner beneath the text box. It's only when the thread is more than a few months old that you need a mod to change it.

Maggie Maxwell
08-13-2014, 05:41 PM
I've had an email from Anfal Khaliq:

In my reply I asked her to explain why in 2011 an Anfal Khaliq of Greater Manchester posted on a Lulu forum about her book Enemies Forever, a thinly-disguised adaptation of the film Ghajini, and in 2014 Bethany Walkers published Show No Mercy...also an adaptation of Ghajini, this time with new material stolen from the work of Colleen Hoover.

Can I also direct you to a comment on Bethany Walker's goodreads page you posted earlier? Message 1 from Christy (https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/5980989-crashed-into-you).

Hi Bethany. I can't find you anywhere on GR anymore, your author listing has been removed. You received a copy of my book The Sharing Moon for free and in case you aren't aware, your rating and review have disappeared along with your friend Anfal's. I am confused. Just thought you'd like to know. I don't give away my book to just anyone so I am certain there must be some mistake. I have your book on my list and reciprocal reviews between authors are appreciated.

Thanks, best wishes on your writing endeavors.

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Can I also direct you to a comment on Bethany Walker's goodreads page you posted earlier? Message 1 from Christy (https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/5980989-crashed-into-you).

Actually this is what gave me my first clue that Bethany and Anfal were the same person! I told Christy about my suspicions and she replied:

yes I believe they are the same person. I always thought so. The Twitter accounts they use have the same posts and their activity on here is also the same. Their review was deleted due to suspicions I believe.

Aha! Bethany's Twitter account has now vanished into the ether but it's interesting to know that it was identical to Anfal's. It's seven hours since I emailed Anfal about the remarkable resemblance between her Enemies Always and Bethany's Show No Mercy but she hasn't responded yet.

Incidentally, a Google Images search for the covers of three of Anfal's books turned up some interesting results. The photo of the Runaway girl is all over the internet but I doubt that it's in the public domain, and I likewise doubt that models Frida Gustavsson and Lada Kravchenko gave their permission for their images to be used on the covers of Rose-May and Sapphire and Me respectively. And who's that I see on the cover of Anfal's CreateSpace Colouring Book For Kids? Yes, it's GARFIELD!

aliceshortcake
08-13-2014, 11:03 PM
I simply had to preserve this for posterity:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/AliceShortcake/anfalcolleen_zpsa56ad6ad.jpg

Filigree
08-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Alice, this quote is so accurate I want to cite it on my blog:

"It's like a cargo cult. Your sad little volume bears as much resemblance to a real published book as a contraption made of bamboo and string bears to a real plane. No wonder that talented writers who genuinely self-publish are appalled by the online slush pile and feel tarred with the same brush."

Sixpence
08-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Reading pre-coffee, and my jaw is all a-dangle. Plagiarists seem to be popping up like mushrooms at the moment, but I know that's just an illusion. I hope these girls parents are aware of what's happening because Disney will not approach use of those images with any sort of velevet glove.

aliceshortcake
08-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Alice, this quote is so accurate I want to cite it on my blog:

"It's like a cargo cult. Your sad little volume bears as much resemblance to a real published book as a contraption made of bamboo and string bears to a real plane. No wonder that talented writers who genuinely self-publish are appalled by the online slush pile and feel tarred with the same brush."

You're welcome to do so...as long as you don't claim credit for it, of course!

*joke*

Samsonet
08-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Would it be off-topic for me to ask what a cargo cult is? Wikipedia is directing me to some guy named John Frum, but I don't understand what it has to do with publishing.

aliceshortcake
08-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Would it be off-topic for me to ask what a cargo cult is? Wikipedia is directing me to some guy named John Frum, but I don't understand what it has to do with publishing.

It's the belief, originating amongst some Southwestern Pacific islanders at the end of World War II, that building imitation planes out of locally available materials would encourage the gods or spirits to send actual cargo planes carrying food and consumer goods. The fake plane is a magical representation of the real thing but has no intrinsic value, just as a bad vanity/self-pubbed book confers ego-boosting status upon the writer but doesn't mean anything in the world of real publishing.

Oh, and just in case Anfal decides to do a bit of deleting here are the opening paragraphs of her 2011 Lulu book Enemies Forever:

“… Now I would like you to choose someone to do your project on. If you don't give me your finished work I can guarantee it will affect your grade," said the lecturer, John Smith. Jesminder, known as Jazz, was scribbling notes down viciously amongst the others, her pen sounding like a knife being pushed down in clay.

She was one of those women who had it all: beauty, cleverness and popularity in her university.

"Now, you'd better head down to the second floor, to gather up your information and to choose your victim with an illness that has affected their life. Come on, chop chop," John continued. This was a sign that his lecture was over.

Jesminder, or Jazz, joined her best friends, Amberjit and Gina, and they walked to the library together.

"I'm pretty nervous about this project," said Amberjit, known as Amber.

"Well, we can only have hope that we'll pass," replied Gina.
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/excerpt%20(1).pdf

Compare and contrast with Show No Mercy by Bethany Walkers, published by CreateSpace in March 2014:

The lecturer stood at the podium of the great lecture hall, indicating the board with his wooden pointer. "Need I remind you to turn in your assignments by the end of the week. Failure to do so will seriously and adversely affect your grade. Clear?"

Jazz feverishly scribbled notes, her pen scratching the paper.

"That's all," the lecturer said. "Go down to the second floor and choose the profile of a person with an illness that has affected their life. Class dismissed."

Jazz joined her best friends Amber and Gina at the end of the lesson, and they walked to the library together.

"I'm pretty nervous about this project," said Amber.

"Well, we can only hope that we'll pass," replied Gina.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Show-No-Mercy-Bethany-Walkers/dp/1496118200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408028083&sr=1-1&keywords=show+no+mercy+bethany+walkers

Let this serve as a lesson to would-be plagiarists in the internet era. Whatever you put online in your real name will be around for a long, long time and will be picked up by search engines.

Filigree
08-14-2014, 07:52 PM
As such, the analogy is dead-on. It elevates ignorance and magical thinking at the expense of logic and actual research. The post-WWII islanders didn't have any way around it, because they were steeped in their own traditions and had little previous exposure to the wider world.

Self-published and vanity-pub authors don't have that excuse, with any access to libraries or the internet.

RedWombat
08-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Cargo cults were a totally logical response on the part of the islanders--weird people show up, demanding they cut down a bunch of trees and build an airstrip to apparently arbitrary specifications, and lo, a plane appears with lots and lots of valuable stuff.

Absent a whole lot of background information, it makes perfect sense that you're doing something that falls halfway between appeasing a god and setting a trap for a weird animal, so they would build airstrips and see if they'd get lucky. Given the payout was so massive if they succeeded, it makes total sense--what is science, but trying to duplicate something and see if you get the same results? (and hell, what was Field of Dreams, if not a sophisticated version?)

I frankly think cargo cults were much more respectable than this. For one thing, once it became clear it wasn't working, the islanders stopped.

Filigree
08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes, I have a higher opinion of cargo cult islanders than I do of 'writers' who play the 'Published Author' game. Especially when they do it via plagiarism.

BrightSera
08-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Self-published and vanity-pub authors don't have that excuse, with any access to libraries or the internet.

Most of the current plagiarism going on is from internet marketers who hire out ghostwriters (often from other countries) to write a story based on an outline. The newest plagiarism is to take a moderately successful self-published work (because anything more successful will draw attention,) re-write it in different wording, and throw it out there. They don't promote it because they want to fly under the radar and not get caught. Keep doing it for several books.

These people are not interested in being "published authors," as much a making money off a large volume of crappy stolen stuff.

aliceshortcake
08-15-2014, 07:17 PM
I find it ironic that Smashwords responded to my e-mail about Anfal's plagiarism, even though she didn't mention Three-Legged Madness in her profile (although she confessed to being a Karen McCombie fan!), and is now looking into the matter. Goodreads, on the other hand, still hasn't taken down the 'Bethany Walkers' page even though they've been told that it's full of plagiarized quotes from Show No Mercy and Race.

Jane Berry
08-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Wow. I found myself immersed in all of this for the better part of an hour. This is pretty brazen, even for a teen.

It seems that instead of stopping when caught, she's going to double down on not being Bethany Walkers. This can't end well. :popcorn:

Weirdmage
08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
I find it ironic that Smashwords responded to my e-mail about Anfal's plagiarism, even though she didn't mention Three-Legged Madness in her profile (although she confessed to being a Karen McCombie fan!), and is now looking into the matter. Goodreads, on the other hand, still hasn't taken down the 'Bethany Walkers' page even though they've been told that it's full of plagiarized quotes from Show No Mercy and Race.

As far as I know Goodreads wants to have data on every book published*. So, I don't see why they would pull a book because it's been plagiarized.Their buy-links is another thing, but I don't suspect they'll do anything about it.

*I know there's been some complaining from self-published authors about old covers of theirs being up on Goodreads. Usually because it was one they are not proud of and want scrubbed from history. But as far as I know Goodreads doesn't do things like that. Although that could have changed since Amazon bought them.

aliceshortcake
08-16-2014, 12:27 PM
The really ridiculous thing is that since Race is currently unavailable, the only place you can find evidence of 'Bethany's' plagiarism of Robert Smith's Lovesong lyrics - other than AW - is...on Goodreads!

By the way, is it possible to create Twitter accounts and use them to post on your own Twitter? Because a couple of Anfal's fans seem to have very little life beyond their passion for her books.

Anna_Hedley
08-16-2014, 03:10 PM
It's possible to create any number of Twitter accounts, so long as you have a separate email address for each. It would be fairly easy to do if you created a tonne of throwaway email addresses using Gmail or Hotmail. Gmail allows you to switch between accounts very easily.

There are various services that allow you to auto-update social media if you supply the dates, times, and Tweets so if you wanted to be really elaborate with your fake identities, you could do it with relatively little effort.

I know this because I have to have separate work, author, and real name accounts by the way. Not any shady business.

aliceshortcake
08-16-2014, 05:03 PM
It's possible to create any number of Twitter accounts, so long as you have a separate email address for each. It would be fairly easy to do if you created a tonne of throwaway email addresses using Gmail or Hotmail. Gmail allows you to switch between accounts very easily.

Thanks for that, Anna. In which case I strongly suspect that there are at least three cuckoos in Anfal's Twitter nest:

Anfal
‏@AnfalWrites
#SaturdayShoutOut - Follow these three lovely girls @AishyyX @KelseyWright75 @Anfallion4Life
11:43 AM - 9 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/498177756346458112

Meet Kelsey Wright:

Kelsey Wright
@KelseyWright75
#1 dedicated & passionate fan of @AnfalWrites and her amazing books. Caffeine addict, Netflix devotee and lover of all things chocolate. 17. Upcoming lawyer.

USA
https://twitter.com/KelseyWright75

"Upcoming lawyer"...sounds rather like Anfal's description of herself as an "aspiring doctor". Kelsey's photo can be found on quite a few websites and blogs and could have been lifted from anywhere. Only 61 Tweets since she joined Twitter on 27th July, and very few people other than Kelsey and Anfal get a look-in on her account. Oh, and make sure you have a bucket handy before reading the following:

Explain your passion for ‎@AnfalWrites :) Okay this is gonna be really lengthy but I hope that when she reads it it will bring a smile to her face :) I found out about her a year ago and how she started writing at such a young age. I began to read her books and found them all very interesting, but only recently did I become a crazy fan. Now, she's written 14 books and the matureness has grown in her writing. Her recent books (not saying that her previous books weren't amazing of course) ARE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. I cannot even go into depth about how much I loved her book Remember Me, oh my gosh, it pulled at my heartstrings so much. I really honestly do hope that she makes it big. It's going to happen, even without me believing in her. SHE IS AN AMAZINGLY TALENTED YOUNG LADY AND HAS ACHIEVED MORE AT HER AGE THAN I THINK ANY YOUNG TEENAGER COULD ACHIEVE. She is a fully-fledged writer at only 15. I want to help her pursue her dream of becoming a really well-known author and getting noticed by bigger companies, thus brings the reason why I made this fan account. This fan account isn't really a personal one because for me, I just want to help her get recognition. She's absolutely amazing in every way. Recently today on her Muslim celebration of Eid she showed me a photograph of herself, and this means a lot coming from me as I never tell lies, but she is soooo damn beautiful. Her face is literally the definition of perfection. I hear that she wants to become a doctor when she's older and that only makes her more inspiring. She's doing so much. She's a really friendly person and such a kind person at heart, who actually cares a lot about her fans. I'm telling you, if any boy saw her they would all fall in love with her and I'm not even joking. I could go on for ages and ages and ages but I have my essays to get done haha so just gonna end this here. YOU ARE AN AMAZING GIRL ANFAL AND DON'T EVER STOP DREAMING BIG, BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT MORE THAN ANYONE. :D x 18 days ago1 person likes this

[needless to say, that one person is Anfal]
http://ask.fm/KelseyWright75/answer/115368243784

@Anfallion4Life is 'Sandy' from Newcastle, who joined Twitter on the very same day that Anfal first mentioned her and whose photo appears on even more websites than Kelsey's:
https://twitter.com/anfallion4life/status/498175859229212673

Fourteen-year-old AishyyX from Australia joined Twitter on 25th July and is such a big fan of Anfal's she uses the cover of Remember Me instead of the usual selfie: https://twitter.com/AishyyX/status/496239795669303296

Wilde_at_heart
08-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Never mind writing books, she should be looking for a job in PR shilling online for whatever products they're flogging - she already has most of the dodgy tactics down pat, it seems.

aliceshortcake
08-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Earlier in the thread Queen of Swords mentioned Gloria Tesch, teenage literary wunderkind:

Gloria Tesch, as you are probably aware, wrote Maradonia and the Seven Bridges at age 13. Being blessed with parents even richer than Christopher Paolini’s, her book was promptly self-published, sending her spiraling downward into a tailspin of egotistical narcissism and self-delusion.
http://conjugalfelicity.com/a-trip-inside-the-mind-of-team-tesch/

I think the only thing preventing Anfal Khaliq from becoming a second Gloria Tesch is the fact that she doesn't have wealthy, over-indulgent parents.

Polenth
08-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Goodreads isn't a book shop. It's a book catalogue. So if a book has existed, they want it in the database for people to add. As far as plagiarised books go, they might not be for sale anymore, but readers could still have copies. It's not illegal to own, review or quote from a plagiarised book. And I imagine some reviewers will want to do so to highlight the plagiarism.

In the case of old covers, the author might hate their original cover... but if a reader has a copy with that cover, they'll want to add that one. What an author can do is make sure the new cover version is also on the site and set that as a default cover (so it'll be the one that shows on their author profile).

Basically, Goodreads isn't a place where you can rewrite history very easily. Published a plagiarised book? That'll follow you forever. Had a terrible first cover? You can make it less noticeable, but it won't stop it existing.

Filigree
08-16-2014, 10:18 PM
I love GR for that very reason: the works of vanity-published and badly self-published authors show up, and can be discussed honestly.

aliceshortcake
08-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Were it not for the fact that I don't want to give money to a plagiarist I'd be sorely tempted to buy a copy of Show No Mercy. This is a book that started out as a thinly-disguised novelization of a Bollywood film written by a twelve-year-old girl. How exactly did Khaliq manage to shoehorn in those plagiarized extracts from three novels by Colleen Hoover, not to mention a series of toe-curling sample love letters written by elderly Mormon academic Dr Mel Luthy?

At the risk of going OT I'm reminded of the now-legendary discovery by the wonderful Smart Bitches, Trashy Books that romance novelist Cassie Edwards had plagiarized umpteen reference books and websites in search of info about Native Americans and their way of life, leading to gems like this.

Source material:

"Black-footed ferrets, so-named because of their dark legs, weigh about two pounds and measure two feet from tip to tail. Related to mink and otters, they are North America's only native ferret (and a different species than the ferrets kept as pets). Their closest relatives are European ferrets and Siberian polecats. Researchers theorize polecats crossed the land bridge that once linked Siberia and Alaska to establish the New World population."
Tolme, Paul. "Toughing it Out in the Badlands," Defenders of Wildlife magazine

Edwards' 19th century heroine suddenly decides to give her lover a post-coital lecture about ferrets:

"In their own way, they are a peaceful enough animal," Shadow Bear said... "They are so named because of their dark legs." "They are so small, surely weighing only about two pounds and measuring two feet from tip to tail," Shiona said. "While alone in my father's study one day, after seeing a family of ferrets from afar in the nearby woods, I took one of my father's books from his library and read up on them. They were an interesting study. I discovered they are related to minks and otters. It is said that their closest relations are European ferrets and Siberian polecats. Researchers theorize that polecats crossed the land bridge that once linked Siberia and Alaska, to establish the New World population."
From Shadow Bear by Cassie Edwards

You can almost hear the grinding of gears when Edwards' own voice stops and the plagiarized material begins. I can imagine Show No Mercy being very similar, only without the black-footed ferrets, obviously.

ETA: Half of Khaliq's book trailers have vanished from YouTube, including the one for the forthcoming Cut Me Deeper. I don't know why she bothered as the remaining trailers make equally lavish use of copyrighted film and photographs (the 20th Century Fox Television logo in the one for Sapphire and Me was particularly brazen). Of course, there's always the possibility that Cut Me Deeper was plagiarized!

aliceshortcake
08-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Basically, Goodreads isn't a place where you can rewrite history very easily. Published a plagiarised book? That'll follow you forever. Had a terrible first cover? You can make it less noticeable, but it won't stop it existing.

I hadn't noticed that Goodreads lists all previous editions of a book. The current edition of Khaliq's Rising Fang, published through CreateSpace on 8th October last year, is currently unavailable as, according to Khaliq's website, it's "in the process of being edited". The paperback version has 350 pages, the Kindle version - published on 16th November - has 274. Oddly enough there were two previous paperback editions of Rising Fang, each with a different cover, also published on 8th October...but they only had 150 pages! I can't help wondering where the huge amount of extra material came from and why Khaliq is now editing the book.

Gravity
08-20-2014, 01:31 AM
For some reason "Rising Fang" puts me in mind of TV oddity Soupy Sales and his invisible yet vicious dog White Fang ... if anybody here is old enough to remember him ... anybody other than me, that is ...

Hanson
08-20-2014, 01:49 AM
This is probably the biggest plague on self-publishing that I can think of.

Yes, there *have* been stories of trade publishing houses taking on works that have been plagiarized from other authors but usually that's discovered quickly enough and dealt with. Lawyers get involved fast enough and publishing houses move quickly enough to protect their authors.

This crap goes on and on and on with Amazon refusing to do a thing other than to keep making money off of a criminal's work.

I'd love to see some of the SP gurus step forward and start a movement to chase these criminals out of their ranks. Every time a story breaks it looks bad for all the hardworking self-publisher who play by the rules and end up getting screwed while Amazon rakes in the dough.

Yes, this is pretty inevitable. There is no 'young girl' or 'sisters' here. Just your garden standard fraudster.

Lots of 'free' txt out there. endless cut n paste opportunities.

This is a straight forward money making fraud.

The best way to stop it is really for Amazon to cross check all work constantly. It's a technology issue. It aint going away otherwise.

As for readers, well check for an author website or FB or similar might help a little - usually the language used is generic and the topics non-current.

aliceshortcake
08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
There is no 'young girl' or 'sisters' here. Just your garden standard fraudster.

Lots of 'free' txt out there. endless cut n paste opportunities.

This is a straight forward money making fraud.

There is convincing evidence that Khaliq is exactly what she claims to be. A Google search reveals that she and her sister attended a Manchester primary school in 2010 and the dedication of one of her books mentions a teacher who still works at that school.

I'd be very surprised if Khaliq's books have sold more than a few dozen copies. She just enjoys the micro-celebrity, "I'm-famous-amongst-my-circle-on-the-internet" status that comes from being a teenage author and is happy to plagiarize the work of others to boost her ego.

Oh, and as for Khaliq only intending to purchase a single copy of the plagiarized Three-Legged Madness for her sister, it's listed among "other books by this author" in her most recent novel Remember Me.

shakeysix
08-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Being a teacher myself, I am cringing for that poor teacher mentioned in the dedication of that plagiarized novel. Jeez--how ironic! I am sure the poor teacher mentioned to the class that plagiarism is immoral as well as illegal. We all do. Wonder what his/her thoughts are? --s6

aliceshortcake
08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
To be fair, the primary school teacher is named on the dedication pages of several of Khaliq's books, none of them (so far) known to be plagiarized.

More bad news: I doubt if Khaliq bothered to ask permission to use artwork by Ben Tour in Rose-May or Gabrielle in Remember Me.

Helix
08-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Oh, and as for Khaliq only intending to purchase a single copy of the plagiarized Three-Legged Madness for her sister, it's listed among "other books by this author" in her most recent novel Remember Me.

And she tweeted about it (https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/482195952959504384).

aliceshortcake
08-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Well spotted! This is what happens when you're a frequent Tweeter and have umpteen books splurged all over the internet. After a while it becomes impossible to keep track of your lies.

aliceshortcake
08-22-2014, 11:35 AM
I wonder if this is aimed at us?

Anfal♡✨
‏@AnfalWrites
PLS STOP TRYING TO HACK INTO MY ACCOUNT FFS ITS GETTING REALLY ANNOYING NOW

6:45 AM - 21 Aug 2014
https://twitter.com/AnfalWrites/status/502451373456498689

Helix
08-22-2014, 12:06 PM

She might have been getting phishing DMs. That's one of the perils of having a gazillion followers and following them all back.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Wilde_at_heart
08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

She even lifts her tweets from elsewhere :facepalm:

Seriously this girl should stop trying to be a pretend author and start applying for internships at Hill and Knowlton.

Marlys
08-22-2014, 05:32 PM
If she's really planning to go to med school, she should wipe every trace of this off the internet--admission offices are increasingly Googling applicants. This Kaplan survey (http://press.kaptest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kaplan-Test-Preps-2013-Survey-of-Medical-School-Admissions-Officers.pdf) says 32% of the med school admissions officers they surveyed have checked out applicants online, and of the ones that have, 42% have found something that negatively affected the applicant's chance of getting in. I can't imagine they'd be impressed by plagiarism.

aliceshortcake
08-22-2014, 06:12 PM
If she's really planning to go to med school, she should wipe every trace of this off the internet--admission offices are increasingly Googling applicants.

Marlys, exactly the same thing had crossed my mind. I think the best thing for her to do would be to remove ALL her books from the internet and, if she's seriously interested in writing, educate herself about plagiarism and copyright infringement before starting from scratch under a different name. Once a person has been found guilty of plagiarism everything else they've written is tainted by association.

aliceshortcake
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Some time ago I pointed out to Goodreads that the page for 'Bethany Walker's' Show No Mercy still quoted plagiarized material. They've just replied:

We have looked into the book's publication history, and given our findings, we have removed these quotes from the Goodreads system. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Fortunately the quotes can still be enjoyed on this thread in all their shameless glory, and both Adele and Robert Smith can rest assured that no-one will think Bethany/Anfal wrote the lyrics of Lovesong.