Is there a word to describe damp paper?

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Is there a way to describe the pages of a book which have become wavy due to having had water spilled over them? Thanks!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean a word to describe the process of becoming curly, or a single word to describe what you have described, which description by-the-by creates a clear image of both the cause and result, for me.

If I read either of the words sought - I wouldn't know what they meant.

Darkarma

Master-Mage
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Water-damaged waterlogged would be my best guess though this is where an english professor would probably be highly useful.

If this is in first person or third person, you could pull off some internal monologue about the character not having the right word to describe it. Or muttering it.

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, this is a word or adjective to describe not the process, but the state or appearance of damp pages in a book which have become swollen and curled. I had thought of waterlogged but was worried that could only apply to land etc I am sure I once found such a word in a book, but for the life of me I cannot remember it!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
If the pages are crinkled but still separate I'd go with water damaged.

If clogged together, papier mache?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you need it for dialogue, you have considerable latitude...

"Damn, look at this soaked book - it's mushy pulp!"

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Is there a way to describe the pages of a book which have become wavy due to having had water spilled over them? Thanks!
Cockled. The pages were cockled. The cockling was the result of a flood. The cockling was extensive.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That may well be one way of describing the condition and I know the post is in response to the OP's request, but I still prefer clarity through simplicity - 'the pages were damp and crinkled' creates a far more meaningful image to me as a reader.

Cockled. The pages were cockled. The cockling was the result of a flood. The cockling was extensive.