NYPD circa 1905

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm doing research for a murder mystery set in New York City, 1905, and I'm trying to identify some good information about the bureaucratic structure of the NYPD at this time.

I sent the following questions to the NYPD themselves and the New York police history museum, but the former passed me off to the latter, and the latter never got back to me. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the direction of some good resources. I don't know whether I'll actually use any of the information I'm asking for in the final book, to be honest, but I'd like to have the information handy in case I do.

1) What was the bureaucratic structure of the NYPD's 23rd precinct in 1905? How would it be determined who was assigned to a particular case, and how would they be notified? (Calls at home, wait for them to report to the station for their regular shift, etc. - just in case I want/need a scene depicting them getting the assignment.) What rank would the person they'd report directly to hold?

2) What specific qualifications and skills were needed in order to be a homicide detective? (I'm not going to assume the standards they have today were the same as back then.)

3) How much were homicide detectives of the 23rd Precinct paid, and what kind of neighborhoods and homes would they be likely - and able to afford - to live in?

4) Just for accuracy's sake, did the Crime Scene Unit have a different name in 1905?

If anyone can help out with any of these, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing research for a murder mystery set in New York City, 1905, and I'm trying to identify some good information about the bureaucratic structure of the NYPD at this time.

I sent the following questions to the NYPD themselves and the New York police history museum, but the former passed me off to the latter, and the latter never got back to me. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the direction of some good resources. I don't know whether I'll actually use any of the information I'm asking for in the final book, to be honest, but I'd like to have the information handy in case I do.

1) What was the bureaucratic structure of the NYPD's 23rd precinct in 1905? How would it be determined who was assigned to a particular case, and how would they be notified? (Calls at home, wait for them to report to the station for their regular shift, etc. - just in case I want/need a scene depicting them getting the assignment.) What rank would the person they'd report directly to hold?

2) What specific qualifications and skills were needed in order to be a homicide detective? (I'm not going to assume the standards they have today were the same as back then.)

3) How much were homicide detectives of the 23rd Precinct paid, and what kind of neighborhoods and homes would they be likely - and able to afford - to live in?

4) Just for accuracy's sake, did the Crime Scene Unit have a different name in 1905?

If anyone can help out with any of these, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I assume you're talking about the 23 back then, not now?

I also kind of assume you know homicide detective was a specific job back then, as it's not now. I don't know that - and I think it'd be odd if it were, but you're using it as if that's correct, so I'm just checking.

I could find the top salary for a beat cop in 1899, $1,200, but not detective and not 1905.

Really, this stuff is so specific, I think you'd be best off calling the museum again.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a book about the NYPD from 1903.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3w...ort&dq=new+york+police+department&output=html

You should also check old newspapers like the Brooklyn Eagle. Their archives go all the way back to 1841
http://bklyn.newspapers.com/

The NY Times also has an archive. And you can find some other NY papers on the library of congress website.

I dont think there were homicide detectives then. Just plain old detectives. There were also private detective firms like the Pinkertons. Most people associate them with the old west, but they were active all over the country including New York.

Last edited:

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I assume you're talking about the 23 back then, not now?

Yup.

I also kind of assume you know homicide detective was a specific job back then, as it's not now. I don't know that - and I think it'd be odd if it were, but you're using it as if that's correct, so I'm just checking.

Not 100% sure, which is one reason I want to look into stuff like this and make sure I'm being accurate.

I could find the top salary for a beat cop in 1899, $1,200, but not detective and not 1905.

Really, this stuff is so specific, I think you'd be best off calling the museum again.

Well, it was worth a try.

I'll give them another shot. Hopefully they'll get back to me this time.

Thanks!

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here's a book about the NYPD from 1903.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3w...ort&dq=new+york+police+department&output=html

You should also check old newspapers like the Brooklyn Eagle. Their archives go all the way back to 1841
http://bklyn.newspapers.com/

The NY Times also has an archive. And you can find some other NY papers on the library of congress website.

I dont think there were homicide detectives then. Just plain old detectives. There were also private detective firms like the Pinkertons. Most people associate them with the old west, but they were active all over the country including New York.

Awesome. Thanks!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Just because of the homicide detective thing (as I don't believe that was an NYPD thing ever, but I could certainly be mistaken), to clarify, the 23 is not the same geographical place it was then, or in the interim.

That's what I meant by then vs. now, not stuff about it, but its physical location.

You might try the NY Historical Society too. It's got a big museum. They may send you to the police museum, but they may have stuff too.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
Did they even have a Crime Scene Unit in 1905? Might want to check that. I would think that, at most, forensics would be collection of evidence and possibly dusting for prints. But, how advanced was that back then? And who was responsible for it?