Origin of characters limp

AceAdam

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a planned trilogy of novels and one of my main characters has a permanent limp caused by an injury and he also walks with a cane. He's only 18 and from a very wealthy family (growing up in a villa which is more like palace and in a medieval/ Renaissance spain like setting) any ideas on how his limp could have originated? I was thinking it would have involved falling from a horse but it would have had to have caused serious damage to his leg.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A crush-type injury to the leg in a world where no amount of money can buy a new bone or joint will result in a limp. A fall can go all sorts of ways, including a clean break which can be reset. But maybe the horse falls on him?

Maryn, who has a stalled WIP in which a character's limp is from a crush injury

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Our neighbors had a horse named Flipper. If anyone tried to ride it, it would rear up and fall over backwards on them.

You could crush or break just about anything you want if you put your character on a horse like that.

Another friend broke her back when her horse stepped in a prairie dog hole while they were moving cows.

I had a horse throw me into a tree, and take a chip of my skull, when it spooked at a dead cow. We were going at a full gallop when she suddenly freaked out, turned sharp, bucked, and sent me flying.

There are a whole lot of ways to get hurt on horses. Stomped, kicked, thrown, rolled on, fallen on. If you're going for a leg or hip injury, most likely having the horse roll or fall would do it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ruptured ACL - completely unfixable in a medieval setting. Easy to do if thrown from a horse.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
What is an ACL?

Anterior cruciate ligament. It's one of the big rubber bands in your knee, basically, and it's the kind of thing a footballer tears when their leg gets knocked sideways. It's a serious injury and hard to fix even these days.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Ta.
Out of further curiosity, do you know how someone of the Medieval period would refer to that?
Its a bit pre-da Vinci's anatomy studies (I think).

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
It could be caused by a 'Herman' moment. (The Simpsons - the military store owner. Lost an arm... not in a war, but from sticking it out of a moving bus). Slipping down a flight of stairs. Climbing up somewhere stupid as a kid and falling off. Rough-housing with his siblings and mashing his kneecap. A birth deformity untreated by the poor medicine of the day could cause it. Then there's the threat of polio, rickets etc.

As to horses... I was trampled by one as a kid. Even with first-world 1990's medicine, it's left me with a damaged kneecap. The cartilage rubs in the 'wrong' way, aches when I'm tired and has given me a slight limp - and is slowly getting worse. The doctor's already mentioned the dreaded words 'knee replacement'. I hate to think what would have happened without modern medicine...

Last edited: