AW MAFIA - Signups & Intro

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Bored? Want to build a snowman? play a game? Like subterfuge and analysis and bold-faced lying and deceit?

You've come to the right place, my friend. Take a seat.

And welcome to AW Mafia.

For those who don't know, Mafia is a game played by 12-20 or more players at a time, divided into two groups; The Mafia, the informed minority dedicated to eradicating all others, and The Town, the ignorant masses trying to weed out the scum and lynch them. The game takes place in a single thread on the forum, where (generally) all communication between players takes place; there is no talking unless it is within the public eye. The exception to this is the Mafia, who have their own separate talking space in which to plot and plan. The game is played over the course of a few days or weeks, consisting of alternating phases as such:

DAY PHASE: Usually a few days at a time. Everyone chats, everyone throws suspicion around and builds arguments, with the ultimate goal of voting someone from the Mafia to the gallows. Everyone can place a vote, and either at the end of the phase or when a majority is reached the hammer is dropped - The player with the most votes is removed from the game, Mafia or Town. Then begins the Night Phase...

NIGHT PHASE: Usually 24-48 hours long, the night phase is when players with actions may hand them in to the Mod (game master), The Mafia make their kill, and everyone generally prepares for the next day phase.

An important facet of the game is TRUST. If you are a Town player, you do not know who the Mafia are, and must try and ascertain this information throughout careful study of the other players ie - their motivations for voting, general scummy vibes, seeking inconsistent play etc. There are sometimes Roles or abilities given to Town players to assist this; you may have a Cop amongst you who can check a players alignment once per night, or a pair of Masons, who are free to chat to each other in a private thread, away from prying eyes. The options are extensive, but your best bet is a keen eye and sharp wits. And perhaps an intuitive gut.

As Mafia, sowing mistrust is the name of the game. You want to deflect attention from yourself and your teammates, and build up strong reasons for voting for other, essentially Town players. Knowing your team, and being able to talk off-thread is a great advantage, as your team can choose how to interact with each other on thread ie - distancing from one another, starting a false fight, and generally causing chaos.

The Quick Guide to Mafia - From the very handy mafiascum website. Recommended reading for first time players. And others. Extensive list of articles on theory and write-ups on all the roles in-game etc. Bear in mind, roles can change from game to game or be completely new, as can setups and rules and yada yada... But a good grounding nonetheless.

SO. Do you want to play? You must meet the following criteria:

1) You can find the time to play - Generally speaking, you'd want to be making a few posts per phase at least. A common target of the lynch is those who are quiet, and a quiet game can rapidly become boring and unplayable. After all, how can anyone get a read on you if there's nothing to read? If you sign up, you are expected to be active! Mod (ie me) may even go so far as to replace or Modkill you for your extended silence.

2) You have a thick skin - People will call you scum, call you a liar, put words in your mouth and generally try and make you look awful, or more awful than you already are. Tempers can flare. Tensions run high. As long as it doesn't delve into personal attacks, mostly anything goes. You need to be able to handle yourself when the suspicion starts getting thrown around.

And, that is about it. The first game I'll run will be a pretty basic setup, so if this is your first time don't worry, it will be gentle. Well, it won't, but it won't be so crazy you can't get a handle on things.

Want to sign up? Let me know below! First 14 through the door...

1. TAMaxwell
1. Lavern08 (Reserved... I know you'll be back.)
3. Jallenecs
4. Forbidden Snowflake
5. Kricket
6. tjwriter

(NOTE - In any one game of Mafia there are usually one or two who have to drop out for given reasons. I'll also keep names for anyone who wishes to be a backup after the initial spots are filled.)

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds Like An Offer I Can't Refuse...

;)

*Wonders if the Mods are gonna allow this*

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Approved, Stamped, all of that business.

@Lavern - Not so much YOUR night, each day/night phase will likely last at least a few days, so there's plenty of time. Let me know if you want back in.

@TAM - Number 1 Spot! Welcome welcome. Convince Lavern to get back aboard ;)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand, does the pee pee dance*

Me too! Me, too! I wanna backstab, sneak and lie! Can I have sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads?

No?

Screw it, I still wanna play!

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that depends on the theme, which I haven't settled on yet.

You might end up being a shark with a frickin' laser beam on it's head.

Added :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that depends on the theme, which I haven't settled on yet.

You might end up being a shark with a frickin' laser beam on it's head.

Added :D

YAY! If I end up being a shark, then I want my laser to be set in a nice tiara with lots of sparklies, preferably jade or emerald, to bring out the brilliance of my eyes. And then I'll get a dress to go with.....

Whut? Why are you all looking at me like that? :D

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've never done this before... and I'm shy... *looks around, slightly scared*

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I am so in. :D

I've played this game irl many times, but never on a forum like this. I'm excited. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@TAM - Number 1 Spot! Welcome welcome. Convince Lavern to get back aboard ;)

Ok, I guess I misunderstood - I'll play...

...But only if I get the #1 spot, since I was the first to respond. :tongue

(See how competitive I can be?) :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) Kidding, kidding. Of course I'll take #2. I was the second, after all. Glad you came back!!

No worries, I was only joking. ;)

*Wonders if TAM is already sensing my ruthlessness* :poke:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Hides horse's head under the covers*

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score