PDA

View Full Version : Just before August 1, 2013, . . .

ZachJPayne
08-06-2014, 01:54 AM
I told myself that I was going to work on my novel.

I told myself that I was done with scratchy, periodic attempts at writing, where I'd sit down once every few months and binge write 7,000 words in 2 days, and end up deleting them all, because they sucked.

I spent years listening to Mighty Mur Lafferty talk about how I should be writing, and how important it was to put my ass in the chair and just start writing. I heard the old adage that if you wrote 250 words every single day, you'd have a novel in a year.

So that became my goal. And August 1, 2013 was day 1.

Because I am slightly disconnected with time itself right now, it took me a few days to realize that August 1, 2014 had rolled past. I have been a dedicated writer, really worthy of that writer's title, for one year.

I've done a lot this year. I moved from SoCal, where I was born and raised, to Northern Nevada. I've completely restructured my life, I've lost about 100 pounds. . .

And I've written 190,896 words. I finished the rough draft of my novel, and I've written one hell of a query letter ;). Even if I'm not published, not professional, I am a writer, and the entire point of this pretentious-ass post is to celebrate that.

:D

Siri Kirpal
08-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That indeed is worth celebrating! :Clap:

May you continue...this time with edits.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kylabelle
08-06-2014, 03:08 AM
Yay, Zach!

You are awesome and that is one hell of an accomplishment! Good for you!

And I do expect that as you continue, you'll find yourself published, professional, and maybe even making money! :D:D:D

This is definitely a solid start. Hats off.

J.S.F.
08-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Oh good, a Zach Payne thread, which means I can castigate and abjure you all I like!

Nah, won't do that. Big man, you've taken the BIGGEST first step. You lost weight...a LOT of weight. That, to me, is far more awesome than writing. Why? It means that you're on the road to better health. Maybe not perfect health, but better, and THAT means you'll be around longer to write more.

Second, you've gotten your butt in the chair and have actually done what you set out to do. Now, you have to follow through and polish that manuscript of yours and submit it. Expect to be rejected--happens to all of us--but keep your head high in the face of rejection and don't give up. The fact that you dieted down AND stayed sane AND got the novel done shows you're willing to see this writing thing through.

Congrats!:partyguy:

(Oh, and if you could 'Like' my novels on Facebook, I'd appreciate it:D)**

**Just kidding about the liking bit. I AM on FB, though.

mccardey
08-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Oh, well done Zach! Sounds like you've found a really professional approach to writing - that's a lot of the battle.

Go, you!

Forbidden Snowflake
08-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Congrats :D Good luck with the next few novels ;)

I'm trying to do the same thing, just that I started August the 1st 2014 :D

Lonegungrrly
08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
congrats on the writing and the weight loss! I need to kick my own arse in that department. may your success long continue!!

Lavern08
08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
... Even if I'm not published, not professional, I am a writer, and the entire point of this pretentious-ass post is to celebrate that.

:partyguy: Celebrating with ya, Dude! :Hug2:

wampuscat
08-06-2014, 11:31 PM
What a fantastic year you've had. Congratulations on all your successes!

wordpainting3
08-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Looks like you are really getting it all together. That is fantastic! Keep the ball rolling! :)

Supergirlofnc
08-07-2014, 06:56 AM
I told myself that I was going to work on my novel.

I told myself that I was done with scratchy, periodic attempts at writing, where I'd sit down once every few months and binge write 7,000 words in 2 days, and end up deleting them all, because they sucked.

I spent years listening to Mighty Mur Lafferty talk about how I should be writing, and how important it was to put my ass in the chair and just start writing. I heard the old adage that if you wrote 250 words every single day, you'd have a novel in a year.

So that became my goal. And August 1, 2013 was day 1.

Because I am slightly disconnected with time itself right now, it took me a few days to realize that August 1, 2014 had rolled past. I have been a dedicated writer, really worthy of that writer's title, for one year.

I've done a lot this year. I moved from SoCal, where I was born and raised, to Northern Nevada. I've completely restructured my life, I've lost about 100 pounds. . .

And I've written 190,896 words. I finished the rough draft of my novel, and I've written one hell of a query letter ;). Even if I'm not published, not professional, I am a writer, and the entire point of this pretentious-ass post is to celebrate that.

That's great. Your post made me happy. Celebrate away!!!

:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy: :partyguy:

Phaeal
08-07-2014, 05:48 PM
CGs on the accomplishment and good luck with the next steps!

Bufty
08-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Well done, sir. :applause:

Cosy_Mimi
08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
That's amazing ! Good luck and all the best to you :)

ZachJPayne
08-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Thank you, everybody <3

HeavyAirship
08-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Good job. What kind of novel is it?