Evidence based

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checkable evidence to support whatever it is that is claimed.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I suppose you've meant "a reference to check." But when that reference is evidence for you?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're losing me here.

Obviously anyone can quote anyone -real or imaginary- as their 'source'. The writers of the articles in question - including the original - would also have to have some proven academic standing/credibility in the first place, too.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Very famous (Nobel prized) authors have made and published claims (after getting the prize) that were later proven not to be true. PubMed.gov library contains several articles about the same topic; some say something works, others say it doesn't work.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So?

Evidence works both ways.

Juries can disagree, too. We believe what we choose to believe.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The key is reproducing the study. In science, it's not just about doing a double-blind study or firing off some positrons into a target. It's being able to reproduce the experiment, and even more it's about others doing it. Most things now loosely considered "facts" are that way because other groups replicated the experiment and got the same results.

So when one group says something is "evidence based", it just means that they have evidence that convinces them. The 911-as-conspiracy people have evidence; the fake-moon-landing people have evidence; and so on.

Sadly, this means that in many cases you have to take a sit-back-and-wait attitude. One article on cold fusion is mildly interesting. Confirming evidence from another university is dramatically interesting.

So look for the same results coming out of multiple sources -- and known, reputable sources. Then start getting excited.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
the fake-moon-landing people have evidence;

Glad you've made an example. I think my question is, which more appropriate term I can use instead of evidence, if evidence is perceived as a so relative term.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Titles are titles.

Surely the credibility of any content depends upon the reader's assessment of the correlation between the academic title/qualifications/standing/reputation/ previous articles... and the content of the article concerned.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Simply refer to a cited Article in which so-and-so claims such and such.

Presumably you are putting the information forward or referring to the Article without claiming to support it or the evidence.

Is it you who is using the word 'evidence- based' - not the writer of the Article concerned? I haven't read it.

Glad you've made an example. I think my question is, which more appropriate term I can use instead of evidence, if evidence is perceived as a so relative term.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Based on scientifically sound peer-reviewed studies, properly cited.

The highest level of scientific evidence is considered to be "a systematic review of studies." Still, you can have a single problem, 150 studies about it, and 5 systematic reviews of these studies with different conclusions. On the end you need to see what have convinced you most but this is then already beyond evidence.

Now, something about the terms.

I can make a well researched article and I say I made a "literature review," which is an official term, but it's completely neutral; it can be excellent or lame, it's still a literature review.

If I say I've made an "evidence based" article, it's often too much, because, especially in nutrition, many things are not 100% proven at the time.

I was hoping to find a good synonym, which would be something between evidence and review.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Is it you who is using the word 'evidence- based' - not the writer of the Article concerned?

I can write an article and within the article I can say, this is is an evidence based article, which is a quite hard claim. I was thinking to use some lighter term, maybe I'll stick with "literature review."

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So the Article in question is yours?

I thought it was someone else's Article (entitled as quoted) to which you were referring and you were trying to gauge how to refer to it without supporting .,..Oh, I give up, :Shrug: but I'm glad you've found a way around the issue that concerned you.

Good luck. :)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I can write an article and within the article I can say, this is is an evidence based article, which is a quite hard claim. I was thinking to use some lighter term, maybe I'll stick with "literature review."

Is the calcium article supposed to be a systematic review? Because it just reads like a collection of calcium facts from various sources. It doesn't concern a research question, there's no statistical analysis, no quality assessment, no methodology, no description of the selection process...

If I say I've made an "evidence based" article, it's often too much, because, especially in nutrition, many things are not 100% proven at the time.

There is no such thing as 100% proof in science. Scientific knowledge is never final. Evidence is something that provides support for a hypothesis being true, but no matter how much evidence you have, no theory will ever be proven true.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Is the calcium article supposed to be a systematic review? Because it just reads like a collection of calcium facts from various sources. It doesn't concern a research question, there's no statistical analysis, no quality assessment, no methodology, no description of the selection process...

No, it is only a "review of literature," which is, as you probably know, another type of research article on a lower level than "systematic review."

But then...I've researched and mentioned many systematic reviews in my...review.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Sorry, this isn't even a literature review. You need to be much more up front about how you found and evaluated the literature, databases used, inclusion criteria etc. A literature review should posit a theory and attempt to prove or disprove it.

What you have is an article about calcium. It links to resources to show where the information comes from, but unless you make any attempt to critique those resources, show that the same results come from multiple sources, demonstrate best evidence, etc, this has no academic value.

I used to do this for a living.

ETA: Try checking the Cochrane Collaboration for information about what makes evidence-based healthcare. They are one of the very best resources available for exactly this.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

That's not a literature review.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Yes, I agree, without presenting inclusion/exclusion criteria, I cannot call it literature review; maybe I'll have just a review.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
No, it is only a "review of literature," which is, as you probably know, another type of research article on a lower level than "systematic review."

But then...I've researched and mentioned many systematic reviews in my...review.

I know what those are, yes; I'm a biologist.

Mentioning something isn't reviewing it.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I believe making claims about important issues about a certain nutrient, and making clear my sources are mainly systematic reviews can be called a review.

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Your sources aren't well referenced either.

e.g.

4. Mineral waters calcium and magnesium content PubMed Central

Links to PubMed - a medical research database of articles. The information used is actually from:

Morr, Simon, et al. "How Much Calcium Is in Your Drinking Water? A Survey of Calcium Concentrations in Bottled and Tap Water and Their Significance for Medical Treatment and Drug Administration" HSS J. Sep 2006; 2(2): 130–135. PubMed. Web. 29 March 2006.

This suggests you haven't actually read the whole journal article or reviewed it's relevance to your article.

You don't actually tell us that the articles you've reviewed are systematic reviews, peer reviewed, or anything else that denotes quality healthcare information.

This matters a great deal when you're providing information people may use to benefit their health. Take the time to get it right.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I know an academic article, including references, needs to be written in a certain style. My articles are not academic in any way, so I'm not using the "full" style for references or for article structure. My aim is to search for human trial and systematic reviews and make articles for common, well, somewhat educated people. In this context, "full" references would be just spoilers, if you ask me.

I often refer to PubMed articles because they appear to remain online on a long-term, while "original articles" are often not freely accessible or links change with time and so on.

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Whether an article remains online or not is not an indicator of quality. Quality of the study trumps all when it comes to healthcare information. You're asking people to believe what you're writing. Give us an indication that you know what you're doing, otherwise we won't.

This matters. How do you know you're not harming someone by using only what is available and not what is relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.