PDA

View Full Version : Nice explanation of when and where to use commas

neicolec
08-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Just saw this article today and thought it was a pretty good reference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-reinalda/confused-by-the-comma_b_5635688.html

Chase
08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Just saw this article today and thought it was a pretty good reference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-reinalda/confused-by-the-comma_b_5635688.html

I'm with you, Neicolec. Rob Reinalda presented dynamite and spot on quick comma helps.

Always helps when savvy experts say the same true things in the face of all the "put a comma where you itch, breathe, or feel lucky" crap. :D

Sage
08-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I'd love to read it, but it's broken my internet twice.

Dennis E. Taylor
08-03-2014, 11:48 PM
I just this morning bought and read Punctuation by G. Miki Hayden. It's pretty short, but it covered all my basic questions about all kinds of punctuation, not just commas. With useful examples. Well worth the $3, IMO.

Jamesaritchie
08-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Good article, and spot on.

Dallionz
08-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Fantastic article, thank you!

I have been told by some people that I use too many commas. Then, the person who edited my last piece, used even more commas than I did. So I was feeling a bit uncertain again. This did help clear some of that up.

Chase
08-13-2014, 06:06 PM
I have been told by some people that I use too many commas. Then, the person who edited my last piece, used even more commas than I did. So I was feeling a bit uncertain again. This did help clear some of that up.

For U.S. publications, some commas are optional, such as the Oxford comma, the comma following short introductory elements (as the one after "Then" above), and the comma before a trailing subordinate clause in a complex sentence. Their use isn't "too many" if consistent with the writer's or the publisher's desired style.

Too many commas are superfluous commas (as the one after "piece" above), usually placed on impulse or a misguided idea of "sound" rather than the structural need for reading.

Otherwise, "too many" or "more commas than I" really isn't a reasonable or workable measure for comma use.

Forbidden Snowflake
08-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the link, it cleared up many of my questions :)

Phyllo
08-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Nice article. Thank you for posting.