The perfect story

Status
Not open for further replies.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Everyone has a whole stack of books/movies/songs/shows they are mad about, but I believe everyone has (at least) one that, to them, is the megaload of storytelling. I’m talking about the one that presses not only all the buttons, but discovers new buttons.

The exact right story, told in the exact right way, told in the exact right medium.

For me, it might be The Old Man and the Sea. Somehow, everything about that book works for me even thought I’ve never been an old man or spent any time at sea. Stories about people like me who are my age do not work for me like that one does. I can’t explain it, but something makes it fit perfectly into my brain.

Anyone else care to share a story that works the same for them?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
So a story that resonates powerfully with you? I haven't found a book I'd call perfect, but I've certainly found ones that did so much so well that I pretty much do worshipful jazz hands at them afterward.

Books that have tripped over that threshold have included Woken Furies and The Steel Remains by Richard (K.) Morgan, most of Kate Griffin's Blue Electric Angels series, the first two books in Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, London Falling by Paul Cornell, and Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Even though it's been 20-25 years since I've read them... Gone With the Wind and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Old Man and the Sea, and Gone With the Wind hooked me so much that I read the entire huge thing in one sitting. But I love so many books that I can't really think of a perfect story that rises far above the others. Huckleberry Finn comes close, and I read it at just the right time.

But the one book that made the biggest impact on me, the book that made me realize how powerful a novel could be, was Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

I read it in grade school, and at one point there was blood in the novel, and I could smell it. It startled me, and I actually looked around the classroom to see where the smell was coming from. Only then did I realize the smell was coming from the novel itself. I was just a kid, but that made a huge impression on me.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
The Bell Jar. I read it for the first time when I was 16, and I felt like I was talking to myself. Gone With the Wind, because Scarlett was the first intelligent (to my child eyes) heroine I'd ever come across. What can I say--I'm a fan of a girl who's willing to shoot someone in the face. The Beautiful and Damned. The Fountainhead. Hamlet.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
The Bell Jar is amazing.

I find as I've read more that searching for the perfect book often leads to dissappointment. Though I still search for the imperfectly perfect book.

That book that has errors, yet has characters that make the experience worthwhile. Wanting to give some books I bought months ago another read.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I don't have a perfect book in mind, but there are a handful of stories that have stuck with me for decades:

"The Bright Illlusion" by CL Moore
"Divine Madness" by Roger Zelazny
"The Colour Out of Space" by HP Lovecraft

And books:
The Riddle of Stars series by Patricia McKillip
Nothing Venture by Patricia Wentworth

And the book that made me want to write, even before I opened Lovecraft (which solidified it): The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron

cylemmulo

Registered
Reaction score
Hard to say now, i haven't read anything that just shouts out in my mind as the most amazing thing ever.

When I was younger though, it was "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami, I loved everything about that book. I still have fond memories of that novel though, gave me plenty of late nights.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
But the one book that made the biggest impact on me, the book that made me realize how powerful a novel could be, was Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

That is very interesting to me, because I found Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea really boring, but I thought Around the World in Eighty Days was one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
'Tk 'Tk 'Tk by David L. Levine -- it won the 2006 Hugo and it is awesome! You can read it here: http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0503/tk.shtml

In the interest of full disclosure: I know Mr. Levine personally -- he teaches at a few workshops and conventions. He is a wonderful mentor to many up and coming writers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That is very interesting to me, because I found Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea really boring, but I thought Around the World in Eighty Days was one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

The funny thing is, I found it boring when I tried to read it again just a few years later. I think I read it at exactly the right age and time. Now, I think Around the World in Eighty Days is a much better book.

I had the same experience with The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I just flat loved them when I started read them at age eighteen. When I tried reading the first book again about fifteen years later, I couldn't even get past the first chapter.

I've also had the reverse happen. There are several novels that bored me to death when I first tried reading them, but that I loved years later.

There has to be something to reading a novel at just the right time and the right age that makes it special. And, I guess, reading one at the wrong time and wrong age that makes it boring.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco. Funnily enough I still haven't managed to re-read this book. I've always given up halfway through. Mostly because life got in the way and when I wanted to pick it up again, I felt like I needed to start from the beginning.

But when I was 18, I thought it was perfect.

The Count Of Monte Cristo is the other novel that I just find to be an absolute masterpiece of storytelling where just everything fits exactly the way it's supposed to fit.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens. I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm not sure I know what perfect looks like. I just love that story. All of it. There's no bit that's boggy or doesn't make sense, and it makes me laugh. I guess for me it's perfect.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There has to be something to reading a novel at just the right time and the right age that makes it special. And, I guess, reading one at the wrong time and wrong age that makes it boring.

Very true. I'm pretty happy that I was seven when Harry Potter first came out. Pretty perfect timing.

Holy moly that means Harry Potter is almost twenty years old....

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens. I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm not sure I know what perfect looks like. I just love that story. All of it. There's no bit that's boggy or doesn't make sense, and it makes me laugh. I guess for me it's perfect.
A very highly rated book for me also! *nodnod* I often think of the fake horsemen of the apocalypse whenever I drive by the local Harley store and see all the bikers partying in the parking lot. :D

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Good Omens a great deal, but nobody has ever surpassed Lord of the Rings for me. I'm surprised no one else chose it.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
To Kill a Mockingbird. Sublime.

Oddly enough in a close second, Enders Game. Hmm.

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte- I couldn't stop think about the books for days after I finished it.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I generally love the way he makes his characters come alive.

Lilly

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I liked Good Omens a great deal, but nobody has ever surpassed Lord of the Rings for me. I'm surprised no one else chose it.

It surprises me, too. I thought about it, but I read 20,000 Leagues well before I read LotR, so picking only one meant picking it.

But I've lost count of how many people I know who re-read LotR every year or two. Wonderful, wonderful books.

Status
Not open for further replies.