antique guns

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
How possible/safe would it be to fire a gun manufactured in 1863 today? (Remington Model 1858) Is ammunition available?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the gun checks out safe and ready to fire, it'll fire. They also use caps and balls and you can find those at most sporting good places, depending on the caliber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Qr7qmSvY

Oh, and I believe you can convert these to modern ammo. If someone doesn't favor blackpowder, they might opt for that.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
As with any antique, the answer is... it depends. If the weapon's been kept in good nick and hasn't been deactivated, it's perfectly possible. Would a character from 2014 know how to use one and get ammo for it is another matter.

From what I understand, the early weapons used front-loading paper cartridges, which seem to be impossible to buy these days - but getting the parts to make your own are still available in the US, and instructions on how to do so are online. Can't say it would be easy, though. Later models were converted to use rimfire ammunition, which are rare and really pricey to buy (assuming your local gun store has any, that is).

A character would have to have a real good reason for using this weapon: a quick search shows that that revolver is retailing for a fair bit of cash - enough to swap it for something more reliable and using modern ammunition.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The wiki page on these is actually pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

If the specific example is in good shape, there is no reason you couldn't fire it with blackpowder loads. The shooter would have to be familiar with how to load and shoot blackpowder firearms though. It's not as simple as going to the gun store and buying a box of ammo. But, for a blackpowder hobbyist, it would be a snap.

The rimfire ammo is just not available for the ones converted to metallic cartridges.

What are the exact circumstances in your story for a character in 2014 to be shooting a Remington 1858? The details might help us determine if it's feasible in that situation.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I know people who've shot guns that old and older (like 18th Century). It depends on how well the gun is maintained. Black powder is still available. I know people who cast their own bullets and put all the pieces necessary for ammo together.

I'd like to suggest that you contact your local gun club, if there is one, about groups in your area that fire antique and reproduction firearms. You would also be helped by contacting groups that stage Civil War reenactments.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion, modern muzzleloader guns are designed specifically to fire blackpowder. Use smokeless powder in the chamber and the gun can explode (Youtube has videos on black powder guns used with smoke less and the catastrophic results.) Unless mid 1800s used better steel than the muzzleloaders of today (which I doubt), I personally wouldn't chance it. BTW - black powder is ready available at sports stores today (while the second amendment is still in affect) so not a problem for you character to get it.

morriss003

Lurking along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
warmhawaiian.wix.com
If you are using this idea in a story just indicate that it was in a usable condition and get the mechanics of the charge right. And expect that some readers will insist that it was not usable.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, which Remington 1858? :)

The 1858 was one of the primary Civil War weapons and is collected and fired by serious reenactors all the time. The original cap and ball 1858 Army in .44 are a bear to shoot (I've shot the model 1858 New Army) and it's hard to aim a second shot through the gunsmoke and recoil, but they're pretty accurate for revolvers of the time.

Many Model 1858's were converted to metallic cartridges in a number of calibers, both by the factory and any number of gunsmiths. I've shot a New Model Navy conversion in .38 using custom loaded ammo and many enthusiasts reload their own ammo for these.

If you want to check them out, find a firearms dealer who handles the Pietta or Uberti reproduction lines and see if they have a Remington 1858 in stock. These are modern reproductions of the original Model 1858's in cap and ball. All the black powder ammunition is readily available and pretty fun to shoot.

Though if your location is correct and your really are on Santa Catalina, California restrictions make it tough to get personal experience.

Of course, what do you actually need for the story?

Jeff

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Check out End of Trail, a shooting match held (I think) in CA by SASS (Single Action Shooting Society).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
You can send the gun off to be proof tested at a proofing house. Don't know the ins and outs of tests for that sort of gun, but it is done remotely in a chamber in case of it blowing up.

You could also have it X-rayed to see if there are signs of cracks or metal fatigue. If your character cares about the gun, they'd do that before proof testing it because they wouldn't want it blown up if it fails.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the responses everyone, the answers were a little more thorough than I needed. For the story, the mc's personality is not consistent with buying a firearm, so he owns one through inheritance, it being a family heirloom. I chose a pistol, and from that era, because it ties into a few other aspects of the story. I just wanted to make sure that these things, if being all original, still work reliably after 150 years

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the responses everyone, the answers were a little more thorough than I needed. For the story, the mc's personality is not consistent with buying a firearm, so he owns one through inheritance, it being a family heirloom. I chose a pistol, and from that era, because it ties into a few other aspects of the story. I just wanted to make sure that these things, if being all original, still work reliably after 150 years

If the gun was well cared for, it would work. But, the character is going to have absolutely no idea how to load and fire it if he isn't into blackpowder shooting as a hobby. This involves loading each chamber separately with loose, pre-measured blackpowder, seating each bullet with the rammer, and applying grease or wadding to prevent chain fires.

Granted, if he's motivated, there is info online, including Youtube videos, etc., but it would require some effort for him to learn what he needs to know and than acquire some blackpowder, some projectiles, etc., to load and shoot the thing. Remember, the ammo for the period cartridge conversions is totally unavailable, so it's blackpowder or nothing.

If the gun doesn't absolutely have to be a Remington 1858, and you are willing to go just a few years later, the Colt Single Action Army debuted in 1873. The SAA was designed for metallic cartridges from the get go. Since the Colt SAA uses what is essentially modern cartridge ammunition it would be MUCH easier to shoot this pistol.

The original Colt SAA was designed for blackpowder loades (in metallic cartridges) but would be safe for lightly loaded modern loads like those used by "Cowboy Action Shooters." To get ammo he'd just have to go to a reasonably sized gun store and buy "CAS style" loads.

Now, if a 1873 revolver doesn't work with your story, that's cool. Just thought I'd mention it because it eliminates the problems of "no modern ammo available for the Rem 1858" and "He'd have to learn how to shoot front loaded blackpowder loads to shoot it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

Last edited: