PDA

View Full Version : Albinos Upset about The Da Vinci Code

AnneMarble
03-21-2006, 06:47 AM
http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1148514.php/Albino_group_to_protest_%60Da_Vinci%60_film

The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentationare is protesting the fact that one of the villains in the upcoming "The Da Vinci Code" is an albino. They had also previously contacted Dan Brown because they were upset about the albino character in the book. They also have a campaign againt Hollywood's portrayal of "evil albino" characters.

OK, it's true that albino characters in movies are often villains. (For example, I remember the over-the-top villainous albino in Foul Play. I don't think he had a name, he was just the Albino.) But is this sort of campaign going to do anything except make most people think these protests are getting silly?. So where were these protests for all those previous movies with evil albinos? Anyway, it's not as if Hollywood is suddenly going to say "I know! Let's have an albino hero for a change!"

BTW ... Sigh. Is there any group anywhere that is not upset about the portrayal of something somewhere?

ChaosTitan
03-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Off the top of my head, the only other movie I can think of that has an albino character was The Princess Bride. Seemed to have a bit of a phlegm problem, but not necessarily evil....

Have I missed the innundation of Hollywood with Evil Albino movies? :Wha:

trumancoyote
03-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Albinos creep me out. I have no pity.

robeiae
03-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Elric was an albino. And he stole people's souls.

The mere existence of The Divinci Code, book or movie, upsets me.

Rob :)

trumancoyote
03-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Rob... you're not an albino, are you?

robeiae
03-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Only when I wear my tube socks and speedos.

trumancoyote
03-21-2006, 07:29 AM
That's more creepy than any albino will ever be.

My-Immortal
03-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Off the top of my head, the only other movie I can think of that has an albino character was The Princess Bride. Seemed to have a bit of a phlegm problem, but not necessarily evil....

Have I missed the innundation of Hollywood with Evil Albino movies? :Wha:

There were the evil Albino twins in the Matrix sequel...and wasn't there an evil albino in The Firm chasing after Tom Cruise's character near the end of the movie? Those are a few that popped into my head when I saw this thread...

Take care all -

trumancoyote
03-21-2006, 08:04 AM
There were the evil Albino twins in the Matrix sequel...and wasn't there an evil albino in The Firm chasing after Tom Cruise's character near the end of the movie? Those are a few that popped into my head when I saw this thread...

Take care all -

They weren't albinos! Look at their fingernails, and look closely at their hair -- there is some black pigmentation here and there. They were ghosts, if anything.

Besides, they were cool, and albinos aren't cool :)

Sage
03-21-2006, 08:11 AM
The only albino I could think of in a movie was Powder. Pretty sure he wasn't evil.

My-Immortal
03-21-2006, 08:16 AM
They weren't albinos! Look at their fingernails, and look closely at their hair -- there is some black pigmentation here and there. They were ghosts, if anything.

Besides, they were cool, and albinos aren't cool :)

I was just going by what I'd heard - albinos had complained about those two when the Matrix movie came out. If the albinos want to claim them as their own and then complain about them, who am I to get in their way?! LOL

Lantern Jack
03-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I hope Dan Brown comes to Buffalo for a book signing. I'd really like to get a look at the elephant who squeezed out this mountain of crap:wag:

ChaosTitan
03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I was just going by what I'd heard - albinos had complained about those two when the Matrix movie came out. If the albinos want to claim them as their own and then complain about them, who am I to get in their way?! LOL

I blocked those sequels from my memory, thus the albino/ghost program people were blocked, as well. A lot of people loved Reloaded and Revolutions. I thought they were awful.

September skies
03-21-2006, 08:54 AM
There's an albino in Powder -- what a sad movie. i cried when i saw the things they did to him -- but definitely not portrayed as an evil person -- just everyone around him.

sigh - as to the albinos being upset about the movie - it's a Movie! I guess no matter who was in there, some group would be upset.

Lantern Jack
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM
There's an albino in Powder -- what a sad movie. i cried when i saw the things they did to him -- but definitely not portrayed as an evil person -- just everyone around him.

sigh - as to the albinos being upset about the movie - it's a Movie! I guess no matter who was in there, some group would be upset.

Yeah, groups are stupid!

brokenfingers
03-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Well, I've written a nasty letter to Stephen King about his novella Secret Window and its Hollywood adaptation. Also wrote one years ago about The Shining.

Why do people insist on these negative portrayals of us writers. We should organize a boycott, dammit!

blacbird
03-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Jesus, in my current WIP a minor villain is an albino, and I kill him off rather quickly. Can I claim, in my defense, that one of my major high-school crushes was for this incredibly gorgeous albino girl in my class, who would have nothing to do with me?

Which put her in company with a large number of other incredibly gorgeous girls in my class, along with a fair number of other girls who weren't incredibly gorgeous.

caw.

Lantern Jack
03-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, writers suck too! That's why I'm only pretending to be one (but don't tell Old Hack, shhhh, it's a secret):e2slap:

poetinahat
03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
How could they forget this great hero?

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/CoverArtUnverified/8901.jpg

PattiTheWicked
03-21-2006, 10:23 AM
The weird thing is, for the DaVinci Code movie, the albino dude is played by the pale-and-pasty-but-definitely-nonalbino Paul Bettany. Rally together, albino actors! Protest this pigmentedly-erroneous casting call!

My god, it's almost as bad as having children play the residents of Oz instead of real-live Little People.

oswann
03-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey! Did you say something about Os? I'm calling my lawyer.

Oh, Oz.

Os.

Celia Cyanide
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I blocked those sequels from my memory, thus the albino/ghost program people were blocked, as well. A lot of people loved Reloaded and Revolutions. I thought they were awful.

I'm with you on that. They seemed like bad fan fiction to me.

Forbidden Snowflake
03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Dude, people gotta be villains in books, and if I wish mine to be black, albino, jew, crazy or an Indian, then he shall be either of that. Why are people always offended. It's simply ridiculous.

Rob-rite
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
It's up to themselves to put their foot down and catagorically state: "In this movie, I'll be a hero ... but albino villain"

*insert groans here* ..............................

poetinahat
03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2point.gif

Note to Stateside audience: in the Commonwealth, it's "al-BEE-no".

Serenity
03-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Does this mean I can sue any movie made about the Irish? Or Mel Gibson for his somewhat rediculous revisiting of Robert the Bruce and William Wallace in Braveheart? He rewrote Scottish history! Damn him!!!!!

Maybe I can sue Arnold Schwarzenegger for his ... uh... interesting approach to teaching Kindergarden?

Oooo! And any movie that's ever made fun of a blond!!!! Yes! I could get millions I tell you....

MILLIONS!!!!!:PartySmil

DamaNegra
03-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Aw come on, I've read books where the hero was an albino.

Does that mean I can get angry and sue any hollywood movie that has a mexican as a villian? Hey, I can get angry about that too!!

It's just pointless, and stupid. People just don't know what to complain about anymore.

Jcomp
03-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Does this mean I can sue any movie made about the Irish? Or Mel Gibson for his somewhat rediculous revisiting of Robert the Bruce and William Wallace in Braveheart? He rewrote Scottish history! Damn him!!!!!

Maybe I can sue Arnold Schwarzenegger for his ... uh... interesting approach to teaching Kindergarden?

Oooo! And any movie that's ever made fun of a blond!!!! Yes! I could get millions I tell you....

MILLIONS!!!!!:PartySmil

Foremost, let's not get carried away. The albino group isn't suing anybody, they're protesting. Mighty, mighty big difference.

2nd, Powder and the kid from Me, Myself & Irene are albino, neither is evil. I don't think albino characters show up in enough literature & film for this to be seen as any sort of trend one way or another. On the surface it seems kind of a silly protest to me, but then again, no one took gay people's protests all that serious some short decades ago either. And I didn't have to live my whole life with zero pigment, having people look at me crazy every time I went to the supermarket. The f*ck am I gonna tell them?

DamaNegra
03-22-2006, 04:35 AM
White people should protest!! They've been put as the villians in millions of movies!!

Jcomp
03-22-2006, 05:04 AM
White people should protest!! They've been put as the villians in millions of movies!!

and heroes to boot...