memoir questions

acousticgroupie

manuscript is in fine tuning mode.
proposal, started.
query, 3 sample chapters, done.

questions:
1. foreward. does the person who writes it get a cut? do you have them sign something, i'm sure. how exactly do you go about this, not having any bites from an agent or publisher first? i want to approach a few people, and have NO idea where to start.

2. proposal. some guides say do a paragraph for each page of each chapter. will a graph for each chapter do?

3. length. how do you know how long it will be in book format, assuming i'm writing in word with 1" margins on 12 font arial and double spaced?

any advice would be superb:)
kristen

Writing Again

My area is novel writing, not memoirs, but I think they are similar.

1. Never heard of paying someone to do a foreword. However getting someone to write one who will help your book is not easy... They don't want to put their name on anything that will lower their prestige in the reader's eyes.

2. Never heard of a paragraph per page: Have heard of a paragraph per chapter. Do not understand how a graph would apply.

3. I writer my ms with 60 spaces across and 25 lines down. This gives me a nice 250 words per page and lots of big margins. I use courier 12 which is mono-spaced and easier to correct.

I would first send a query letter telling the publisher what there is about your memoir that would make people want to buy it and asking if they are interested.

acousticgroupie

well of course!
thanks for the help. i guess there's lots up ot the imagination with proposals!

acousticgroupie

did the proposal and have been querying. got an agent bite!

wow, this is exciting and scary putting my personal goolash out there:)

DonnaReed

Registered
Reaction score
acousticgroupie said:
did the proposal and have been querying. got an agent bite!

wow, this is exciting and scary putting my personal goolash out there:)

so what happened?