Car crash scene [moved from Novels]

SaveitForaRainyDay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really struggling with this scene.

I've been basing most of my research off car safety ads because I can't find anything else. But I have no idea of the impact of a car crash. Like how many times a car would flip, what effect certain collisions would have.

Any tips on writing a car crash? How would you even do it? Are there any good examples in literature/cinema?

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It depends on several things: the type of car, the speed traveled, and the angle of the crash.

For example, I once saw a Jeep flip on its side when the driver was only going 5 mph. She turned left, her left front tire hit and climbed a 2 foot concrete sign base, and the jeep slowly flipped on its side.

Then again, those movie crashes where a car hits another from behind and flies up and over the other car are wildly exaggerated.

How fast are your vehicles traveling in the crash?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Google? Spectacular car crashes? That will at least show you some. Good luck.

Best tip I can give - keep it simple. The more detail you try to cover the more research you are going to have to do.

Last edited:

SaveitForaRainyDay

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on several things: the type of car, the speed traveled, and the angle of the crash.

For example, I once saw a Jeep flip on its side when the driver was only going 5 mph. She turned left, her left front tire hit and climbed a 2 foot concrete sign base, and the jeep slowly flipped on its side.

Then again, those movie crashes where a car hits another from behind and flies up and over the other car are wildly exaggerated.

How fast are your vehicles traveling in the crash?

Honestly, I have no idea. I was thinking that one is traveling slightly faster. A car approaches a junction, doesn't see the other car, and then there's a sideways collision.

Have you tried Google? Spectacular car crashes? That will at least show you some. Good luck.

Best tip I can give - keep it simple. The more detail you try to cover the more research you are going to have to do.

Yeah, I have googled a lot, but most of the videos are shot from inside of the car, so you can't really see the effects, from really far away, or not the angle of the crash I want. The only good examples are from car safety.

Thanks!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Hang on, let me move this to story research. You might get more answers there!

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Go to YouTube, and in their search box, type 'cars crash'. You will see many crash videos that may be of help.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
What do you need to happen to your characters? I've seen a car go off the road on an uneven shoulder, driver over-corrected, and the car flipped in the middle of the road. Looked dramatic, but the driver walked away.

I went to a scene where two semis collided ... that was bad.

Most cinema crashes are HIGHLY dramatized. Cars don't normally burst into flames like that.

Then again, there are the "They lived" Volvo commercials where the car is a crumpled piece of metal, and everyone allegedly survived.

So, do you need a good, dramatic crash that everyone walks away from or something not so ... survivable?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re the film comment, it drives me nuts to see characters in film driving along 'swinging the wheel right and left all the time' even on straight roads. Nobody's going to last long in real life steering like that.

Ah! A little grump every now and then does the power of good. :snoopy:

What do you need to happen to your characters? I've seen a car go off the road on an uneven shoulder, driver over-corrected, and the car flipped in the middle of the road. Looked dramatic, but the driver walked away.

I went to a scene where two semis collided ... that was bad.

Most cinema crashes are HIGHLY dramatized. Cars don't normally burst into flames like that.

Then again, there are the "They lived" Volvo commercials where the car is a crumpled piece of metal, and every allegedly survived.

So, do you need a good, dramatic crash that everyone walks away from or something not so ... survivable?

Last edited:

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Honestly, I have no idea. I was thinking that one is traveling slightly faster. A car approaches a junction, doesn't see the other car, and then there's a sideways collision.

Okay, more details:

How many occupants?
Type of car impacted?
Type of car doing the hit?
Road conditions? (Ever notice how Hollywood always has wet roads for everything?)

I can come from experience on a T-bone accident. I tried to make a left, didn't see the other car coming, and got nailed, dead center of my two passenger side doors. I was in a Dodge Stratus, got hit by a Ford Astrovan. They hit me at 50+ mph, and I slid across the intersection.

I was the only one in the car, walked away with a sprained wrist and lots of glass scratches (including on scratch resistant glasses). The other people went to the hospital, but I think they were okay too.

Stratus was totaled, as it bent the car's primary frame.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in minor crashes 4 times :D either as driver or passenger. Five if near miss counts (friend drove on snowy highway, swerved over the ditch onto the oncoming lanes; nothing happened ;)--very enjoyable).

What do you need? 128 people killed or everyone walks away? Do you need stun drivers or a driving iDog?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I have been in a 60 mph 3/4 front collision, also a 60 mph hit from behind by another car going 60 and several relatives that have been in T-bones like you are asking about -- what speed are they going in your book? Is it an intersection of a country road onto a highway, or a school zone, or a city street at 25/35 mph?

I agree that make and model of vehicles involved will be important to the outcome.

Do they need to die, go to a hospital or just walk away?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
oh, man, there was a commercial that has that same layout you're describing, and it was in slow motion too. I can't remember who made it.

but it this guy is approaching a T-section. He's got a son in the backseat. He stops, looks both ways, then proceeds to move forward when he doesn't see a car coming.

but there is a car coming, except he's moving at like 100mph, so the guy at the T-section hasn't seen him yet.

Then the cars stop. They get out. The dad asks the speeder not to hit him, he's got a kid in the back. The speeder apologizes, says there's nothing he can do, he's going too fast.

They get back in the car and the crash resumes.

Hopefully either someone else can recall that video, or I've given enough information for you to search for it.

Anna H

Registered
Reaction score
As a general rule, accident under 30 mph and you an 80% chance of surviving injuries; over 30mph and you have an 80% chance of dying. BTW, most police departments have an accident reconstruction expert. That person may be willing to help.

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
I just had this happen actually, a couple months ago...right before Chevy recalled those ignition switches. Accident, 2 months later I receive my recall notice. Anyway, 55mph, no brakes or steering (or airbags), car flipped. I was lucky, and I think it was because the tree stopped the roll, taking the brunt of the impact at the trunk.

Exact blow by blow memory? Ridiculous. Doesn't happen. Memory is not a tape recorder and I'm educated enough to know not to push it. False memories are very real. A few points.

-Everything stopped and I was in my seatbelt. Sideways. Without a scratch. Brain kicked into supercharge at that point.
-Car doors are heavy. Standing in a car while it's on its side, pushing up on the passenger door doesn't work. I'm average on physical prowess and not short, but it took two bystanders to help me out through that passenger door. Alt plan: I was going to go out through the trunk to get out...window was smashed already and it appeared to be an exit.
-Maybe it's just me, but I kept thinking fiery inferno so I turned off the ignition first thing. I was told after the fact that this saved the engine (for all the good it did the rest of the car). Engines that otherwise survive accidents are blown by the ignition being left on. Common cause of engine damage in accidents, according to My Mechanic Uncle.
-Memory (such as it is): needed to stop, couldn't, brake taps, nothing, more brakes, more nothing, why can't I stop?, brakes, nothing, oh shit, tried to turn the wheel a little bit to avoid impact with another car by swerving into the shoulder, the wheel WRENCHED sideways sending the car on a 90degree spin toward the ditch, airborne feeling, the world tilts, OMG-GO-LIMP-YOU-IDIOT, arms/legs do the best to let go of steering wheel (no idea if i did), IMPACT, slide, tree stops roll, blink, take stock. Oh shit, will the car explode now? Turn off engine...remove AWESOME seatbelt then work on getting out, cuz, fiery explosion images from every bad Hollywood movie are dancing in my head.

No fire explosion happened. Cop arrives and shouts at the wrecked car only to have me walk up and hand him my license. He proceeds to ask if my cruise controlled at 55 vehicle was speeding...no less than 17 times. Including flashing the radar gun in front of my face for a reaction. Asshole.

There's one perspective for you, such as it is.