Batman: Assault on Arkham

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caught this yesterday (or the day before). Wow. DC does great animated work and this is their most mature presentation yet (even moreso than the Flashpoint Paradox). It's mistitled actually, as it should be titled Suicide Squad: Assault on Arkham with special guest Batman, but it doesn't matter. Deadshot handles the heavy lifting anti-hero duties with his ragtag squad of misfits, including the delightful Harley Quinn who shines.

Brought together by a secret government program the Suicide Squad must break into Arkham to obtain info hidden in the Riddler's cane. We get to see the denizens of Gotham in a different light...

And, oh yeah, Batman (Kevin Conroy) makes a couple of appearances and the Joker is awesome (not Mark Hamill, but an excellent impersonation of his version) with great lines.

I admit to a mild fondness for Captain Boomerang, as back in the 70's I kept getting his collectible Slurpee cup (and freaking Lightning Lad...but never a legit hero...)

Gritty, and living up to it's PG-13 rating...this one is not for the kids...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I saw this the other day and it is DEFINITELY pushing the envelope. Almost nudity, swearing (although they did it Justice League: War) and blood...this is NOT for kids.

Voice work was very good except for the guy who did Deadshot. In the animated nineties version, Michael Rosenbaum did it better with his Kevin Spacey impersonation. The actor here wasn't suave or smarmy enough. Hynden Walch was fine, and Kevin Conroy IS Batman.

Animation was solid. Not spectacular, but very good. Only drawback was the techno-pop music. Jarring and not needed.