Any Monty Python fans here?

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
I just watched the mostly live show of the Monty Python, it was an hour and half of constant laugh. Feeling really exalted now :)
Anyone here like those old chaps?

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Holy Grail and Life of Brian years ago. I should revisit them. :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, loved the series and their movies. Very clever lads. Thanks for that clip alleycat, the laptop nearly hit the floor with my giggling. I'm off to ebay to hunt down some dvds :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's four Monty Python fans, surely there are no more on a forum of this size...

spam, spam, eggs and spam

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My first encounter with Monty Python was about as accidental as possible. I'd just got out of the Army, 1971, and was sitting at home watching the 10 PM local news. That finished, and I was about to go to bed, but the ABC channel had a post-news program titled with astonishing blandness "Entertainment Tonight." ABC was just then being killed late night by Johnny Carson on NBC and whatever CBS was running, so they were desperate.

The show came on and I was too lazy to get up and turn off the TV just then; it was before remotes. A talk-show set appeared, with two chairs, a small coffee-table in front, and a lank man in a black suit who leaned slightly forward, and said:

"And now for something completely different." -- minor pause -- "A man with three buttocks."

I recall blinking two or three times, before my brain said, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

I leaned forward in my chair, and the wondrous chaos ensued. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my entire life, or the many earlier ones. We had flying sheep ("Notice they do not so much fly, as plummet."). It was a form of comedy entirely new to American TV; the closest thing to it was probably the best stuff from the Marx Brothers four decades earlier. Absurd, anarchistic, ridiculously intelligent, and you never knew where the next moment would go.

I still watch some of that old stuff from time to time. Nothing on TV today comes close to what Monty Python accomplished in comedy.

caw

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
too sophisticated of a show for me
monty python is made for intelligent peeps
with Phd's (at least that is my impression)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My mom sat me down when I was about 10 years old and MADE me watch Holy Grail. I was absolutely determined to hate it because I didn't want to watch.

I ended up laughing so hard my face hurt.

I took my sons (19 and 11) to the live broadcast on Sunday. It was my younger son's first introduction to Python. I thought his head was going to explode when they started in with "Isn't it Nice to Have a Penis," but he got into it eventually.

Now, he wants to watch it all.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I was delighted to learn recently was that Joyce Carol Oates's favourite Python sketch is The Lumberjack Song.

Me, I'm off to do some golf, strangling cats and masturbation.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
All together now:

Eeeeeeeemanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable...

==================

ETA: Your cat needs to be confused.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite Transformer fan fics, the writer did a crossover with Sideswipe and Sunstreaker acting out the Holy Grail. It was great

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I still remember the sketch about Dinsdale and the giant hedgehog. That, and nailing someone's head to the table.

Having said that, here's a sketch with some of the MP members before they were MP.

http://youtu.be/DAtSw3daGoo

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I almost missed the live broadcast but was in time for the second part. Watched the first half and my favorites from the second the next day. Totally delighted.

I loved how they added jokes about each other to the old skits ("he's gone to meet Dr. Chapman"), how the dancers blew all those little songs way out of proportion, and of course the Stephen Hawking cameo.

Made a little farewell comic the next day:
http://www.dreadfulgate.de/wordpress/eng/and-now-for-something-completely

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone remember the bike tour with Trotsky and the fruit that ejected before an accident?

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
I had most of their films on VHS, and new them by heart 90% :)
the funny thing was (probably because I was pretty young then), that the more times I watched it, the gags became funnier :D