PDA

View Full Version : women chased by train

mccardey
07-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Did we do the story about the two women being chased by an Indiana train yet? Here's the link. (http://media.smh.com.au/national/selections/train-forces-two-women-to-run-for-their-lives-5636181.html)

PS: Sorry the news-reader wasn't more excited - he's just Australian.

With a better voice over and a bit of music this could have been wonderful footage...

Albedo
07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
With a better voice over and a bit of music this could have been wonderful footage...

Yeah, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ) music.

Helix
07-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ) music.

And if that doesn't work, there's always this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQIJuu3N5EY).

mccardey
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah - I think Australia really undersold that story....

alleycat
07-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Someone could edit the video to splice in images of Thomas the Tank Engine bearing down on the women with an evil grim on his little engine face.

Helix
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Someone could edit the video to splice in images of Thomas the Tank Engine bearing down on the women with an evil grim on his little engine face.

Perfect!

mccardey
07-30-2014, 10:32 AM
IS it just me, or does alleycat's current av look like the cat that was travelling with those ladies - just two seconds after the train had gone...

Maryn
07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
News coverage here said the women had eleven inches of clearance. I suspect I could not have survived, not with this ass.

Maryn, thinking it's a weight-loss treasure

Lavern08
07-30-2014, 07:13 PM
News coverage here said the women had eleven inches of clearance. I suspect I could not have survived, not with this ass.

See, that was my first thought, but in my case, just replace a$$ with rack. :o

MaryMumsy
07-30-2014, 09:00 PM
In my case it would have been the ass and the rack. But then, I'm smart enough not to trespass onto a train trestle in the first place.

MM

Chase
07-30-2014, 09:25 PM
See, that was my first thought, but in my case, just replace a$$ with rack.

I don't understand. What's Vernie mean? I need to be kept abreast of these in-jokes.

The movie Stand By Me was filmed next door in Brownsville, Oregon. The trestle from which the boys barely escaped ahead of the train isn't far south, and I get flashbacks of the heart-stopping scene whenever I pass it.

I'm glad the ladies were skinny enough to survive. If I were them, I'd buy lottery tickets.

Ona Mission
07-30-2014, 09:50 PM
I was fine until the reporter informed it's a major concern that these women did such a thing not only because the track is dangerous, but because it's also private property. And that's when the giggles started. Seriously, how DARE they even think of dying on private property. Methinks he's been to America before.

juniper
07-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Oh wow, how horrible to have been the train crew in the cab, seeing those women just ahead ...

The bridge was over a lake - I wonder if they thought of jumping off? No way they were going to out run the train.

ETA

... it's a major concern that these women did such a thing not only because the track is dangerous, but because it's also private property.

The railway company is considering trespassing charges? I think these 2 have learned their lesson.

MaryMumsy
07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
The track was 80 feet above the water. Think an 8 story building. And one report I heard said the water was shallow. No way of jumping.

Criminal charges are usual in cases like this. One report I saw said over 900 people died in 2013 on train tracks, and 38 of them were in Indiana.

MM

SWest
07-30-2014, 10:44 PM
PS: Sorry the news-reader wasn't more excited - he's just Australian.

See? I think flat commentary is moar funnier.

:roll:

Chase
07-31-2014, 04:42 AM
One report I saw said over 900 people died in 2013 on train tracks, and 38 of them were in Indiana.

Four deaths so far in the city of Albany, Oregon, this year alone.

Lots are from dodging around the barriers while the lights flash and the bell ring. All railroad tracks and trestles are private property, but I guess they seem like playgrounds to some. :Shrug:

mccardey
07-31-2014, 04:43 AM
:shrug

Not to derail, but if you wanted to teach us some sign, I could change the thread-title to Women Trained By Chase. (And Albedo and Alleycat).

Chase
07-31-2014, 04:52 AM
No to derail...

Love your :applause: sense of humor, Mac.

:applause: is the same sign for "wonderful."

The deaf have a sign meaning "You're too late, and we're not going to bring you up to speed." It's: Train-gone :D

http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/t/train-gone.htm

mccardey
07-31-2014, 05:09 AM
The deaf have an sign meaning "You're too late, and we're not going to bring you up to speed." It's: Train-gone :D

http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/t/train-gone.htm

I just spent the last ten minutes trying to master that. I think I have it now.

The trick is going to be to use it in a sentence. In Australia. Before I forget it. ;)

Chase
07-31-2014, 07:42 AM
The trick is going to be to use it in a sentence. In Australia. Before I forget it.

Sad to say, Aussie sign language (AuSL) is different than American sign language (ASL). And although Gallaudet based ASL on French grammar, French sign language is different than both. Go figure :Shrug:

mccardey
07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Sad to say, Aussie sign language (AuSL) is different than American sign language (ASL).

I know - that's what makes it so difficult! Here I am waiting for a chance to drop it into a conversation... before I forget - damn!

Thuro
07-31-2014, 08:25 AM
See, that was my first thought, but in my case, just replace a$$ with rack. :o

I'd say Lavern is a character, but she's more like the entire cast.

mirandashell
07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
The poor driver must have just closed his eyes and prayed.....

Did he stop the train once he was across and go back and check?

mccardey
07-31-2014, 01:39 PM
The poor driver must have just closed his eyes and prayed.....

Did he stop the train once he was across and go back and check?

Went back and sued. And rightly so.

No, but really - yeah, s/he must have had a hell of a fright, poor lamb.

mirandashell
07-31-2014, 01:43 PM
I've been on a train which has hit someone. The poor driver was an emotional mess.

mirandashell
08-02-2014, 01:48 AM
I think I killed the thread.

Sorry.

mccardey
08-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Ran it down. Totally ran it down. Steamed over it.

mirandashell
08-02-2014, 01:51 AM
:D

Shut up you.

mccardey
08-02-2014, 01:51 AM
:Hug2: