Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/olivia-cole/lucy-why-im-tired-of-seei_b_5627318.html

Quite a brilliant HuffPo article. I haven't seen or even heard of this new Lucy movie but the idea of it totally sticks in my throat.
So I guess what's sticking in my craw is the assertion that while human life originated in Africa -- a detail the film neatly skims over, placing the ape-like Lucy that Johansson sees in North America -- somehow the way we imagine the most evolved human being is blonde and white. Even more, when Lucy gets surges of knowledge in the film, her eyes flash brightly blue. Because blue eyes, we all know, are the universal symbol of superiority, right?

How is it that in a film whose premise rests on the idea of reimagining the past, present and future, we still end up with a blonde white woman with flashing blue eyes as the stand-in for what personifies evolution and supremely fulfilled human potential?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the previews for Lucy. Knew it wasn't a movie for me. I might not have the same qualms, but it did scream "tired."

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the movie perpetuating that dumbass idea that humans only use 10% of their brains? Ugh.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Yup. Agree with the article completely. Between that and the brain thing.... oh lord. No. Just. No. I'm certainly not going to see it.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Is this the movie perpetuating that dumbass idea that humans only use 10% of their brains? Ugh.

Oh god, when will this myth die? And the misconception that evolution has a goal and that a given species has an evolutionary destiny. If there's seismic activity being registered in London right now, it's because Darwin is spinning in his grave.

And then the blonde-haired, blue eyed thing on top of it all?

Sounds like a film to miss.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw a facebook friend post this, and I couldn't help but agree with it as well. My sister recently saw the movie, though she said I should wait until it comes out on Redbox.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever this issue comes up, filmmakers, etc. seem to try to justify it by claiming it's what audiences want to see. And yet there are films with no white leads (Harold and Kumar, Rush Hour) that were hugely popular.

And yes, I never did 'get' the whole fetish about blue-eyed blondes.

But ... so many seem to ...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The "humans using only 10% of their brain" argument is an old and tired argument. Dumb, but there it is.

As for the lead being white, well, Hollywood goes with what sells. Scarlet happens to be a good actress, is very recognizable due to the Ironman and Avengers movies, and she's a bankable commodity. I'm not going to get into a debate about the 'white people and African origins' thing. That's for another thread, really.

The real issue is that there is, to Hollywood's way of thinking, no black or Asian leading lady types who could do this kind of role. That is something that needs changing, most definitely, but again, it all goes back to who can carry the movie.

I saw Lucy. It wasn't great, but not as terrible as others have made it out to be. It raised some good questions, didn't answer a whole lot of them, but within the space of ninety or so minutes, gave me pause for thought, mainly on the idea of what consciousness is, how we view time, and so on. And Scarlet J played her role well. Could a PoC have done just as well? Maybe. That's all I'll say. But would Hollywood have bankrolled such a flick if a black or Asian actress was in the lead role...that's the multi-million dollar question.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And yes, I never did 'get' the whole fetish about blue-eyed blondes

I think it's because it's quite rare in Nature unless you go to a small area of Northern Europe. And even there it's not as common as you think.

Of course these days there are lot of blondes around.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
“Keep Clean. Apple, scallop & ginger, orange, tomato, grape”

Oh my lor..... the lazyass, can't be bothered to think about it, offense just doesn't stop, does it? They must have got the Chinese off a menu......

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
… As for the lead being white, well, Hollywood goes with what sells. Scarlet happens to be a good actress, is very recognizable due to the Ironman and Avengers movies, and she's a bankable commodity. I'm not going to get into a debate about the 'white people and African origins' thing. That's for another thread, really.

The real issue is that there is, to Hollywood's way of thinking, no black or Asian leading lady types who could do this kind of role. That is something that needs changing, most definitely, but again, it all goes back to who can carry the movie.

I saw Lucy. It wasn't great, but not as terrible as others have made it out to be. It raised some good questions, didn't answer a whole lot of them, but within the space of ninety or so minutes, gave me pause for thought, mainly on the idea of what consciousness is, how we view time, and so on. And Scarlet J played her role well. Could a PoC have done just as well? Maybe. That's all I'll say. But would Hollywood have bankrolled such a flick if a black or Asian actress was in the lead role...that's the multi-million dollar question.

There seems to be no shortage of women that could have convincingly played such a role: Halle Berry, Viola Davis, Angela Bassett.

There was a time when Hollywood seemed more interested in being as authentic as possible. I guess filmmakers are reverting back to the '30's and '40's era when most if not all film 'stars' were white.

On a side note, how many people grew up thinking that historical figures such as Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Marc Antony, etc., spoke with British accents, simply because that was how they were portrayed in film?

I recall having an 'aha' moment back in the '80's while reading Donald Johanson's book 'Lucy', discussing early humans - 'wow, they would NOT have been white.' Seems like a no-brainer now, but I am a product of American schools of the '60's and '70's (and apparently, guilty of not questioning enough of what I was taught.)

I haven't seen 'Lucy', but no matter how good the actress is, if she doesn't look the part, such a film would take a serious hit for lack of authenticity.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

“Keep Clean. Apple, scallop & ginger, orange, tomato, grape”

Obviously, the last dude kept in that cell was planning what he wanted to eat after he got out.

First, he'd turn his life around (keep clean), and then he'd make a scallop and apple soup with a hint of ginger. The only question left was whether he wanted orange, tomato, or grape juice on the side.

Too bad the poor fellow wrote his menu in blood, and thus died before he could follow through with his plans.

:(

:D

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be no shortage of women that could have convincingly played such a role: Halle Berry, Viola Davis, Angela Bassett.

I haven't seen 'Lucy', but no matter how good the actress is, if she doesn't look the part, such a film would take a serious hit for lack of authenticity.

--
I happen to agree with you on the actresses listed above. I was saying that Hollywood probably didn't want to take a chance on a PoC as perhaps not being bankable enough. I'm not familiar with Ms. Davis, but Angela Bassett is a fine actress. Halle Berry is hit and miss acting-wise, really, although I happen to like her.

Again, if the part of Lucy had originally called for a black actress and Luc Besson/Hollywood producers decided that a black woman wasn't bankable enough, then that's a shit decision on their part and totally wrong. IF. But I have the feeling, right or wrong, that Hollywood went with the person they though could sell the movie best. The only color Hollywood thinks of is green, anyway. So they chose Scarlett J who is, as I said before, a hot commodity right now.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
But part of the reason the white actors are more bankable is because they're giving bigger parts, right? I mean, I guess I could see an argument being made that these guys are famous so they're the ones Hollywood wants in movies because they'll sell more, but they're also the ones being given the breaks. Scarlett wasn't as hugely famous before some of her more recent movies, was she? (I'm not good with famous people, so I could be wrong).

What if, instead of her, a Hispanic woman, or Indian, or African-American had been cast as Black Widow? Would that person be a big name now? Hollywood is notorious for only casting white people as leads (or as any character ever for that matter. Not just Hollywood, either. I always think it's ridiculous to watch a TV show that takes place in New York, for instance, where 90% of the cast is white).

Not only that, Hollywood is notorious for casting white folks in place of roles that should belong to minorities. So even when there is a role that should inherently go to a minority, and thus give said minority a chance to make it big, they cast white people.

I get tired of seeing it myself, honestly. Not just white people. I'm tired of seeing super skinny, beautiful white people in movies and TV. When I go outside, that's not what I see, and it's gotten to the point that when I see these casts, I can't help but roll my eyes and think that it's unrealistic and stupid.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
... I was saying that Hollywood probably didn't want to take a chance on a PoC as perhaps not being bankable enough.

I understand - I was agreeing with the point you made about the Hollywood attitude:

… The real issue is that there is, to Hollywood's way of thinking, no black or Asian leading lady types who could do this kind of role...

And the 'Hollywood attitude' (or maybe just this film's producers's attitude) that the white actress is more bankable backfires with me, as they're not likely to get my money simply because of how they cast the lead role.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
But part of the reason the white actors are more bankable is because they're giving bigger parts, right? I mean, I guess I could see an argument being made that these guys are famous so they're the ones Hollywood wants in movies because they'll sell more, but they're also the ones being given the breaks. Scarlett wasn't as hugely famous before some of her more recent movies, was she? (I'm not good with famous people, so I could be wrong).
---ME. Generally speaking, white people traditionally got bigger parts in lily-white Hollywood yonks back. That's because of the inherent racism of society. No argument. And the majority of whites happened to be Christian, so there's another point to consider.

However, then, as now, bankability is one of the main factors...and yes, that may lead to more breaks. As for Scarlett, she worked her way up in the industry and had won a number of theater and other awards before being given the role of Black Widow.

What if, instead of her, a Hispanic woman, or Indian, or African-American had been cast as Black Widow? Would that person be a big name now? Hollywood is notorious for only casting white people as leads (or as any character ever for that matter. Not just Hollywood, either. I always think it's ridiculous to watch a TV show that takes place in New York, for instance, where 90% of the cast is white).
---ME. Samuel Jackson was cast as Nick Fury in Ironman and the Avengers. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Man of Steel.

Not only that, Hollywood is notorious for casting white folks in place of roles that should belong to minorities. So even when there is a role that should inherently go to a minority, and thus give said minority a chance to make it big, they cast white people.
---ME. Yup, unfortunately, true.

I get tired of seeing it myself, honestly. Not just white people. I'm tired of seeing super skinny, beautiful white people in movies and TV. When I go outside, that's not what I see, and it's gotten to the point that when I see these casts, I can't help but roll my eyes and think that it's unrealistic and stupid.
---

See above, please.

As for the image of super skinny beautiful white people, it's been part of the mainstream thinking for a long time. No question. However, not everyone on TV is blond, super skinny or white or beautiful. Still, I see your point, and there should be way more diversity...but try convincing the powers that be of that.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
--
I happen to agree with you on the actresses listed above. I was saying that Hollywood probably didn't want to take a chance on a PoC as perhaps not being bankable enough. I'm not familiar with Ms. Davis, but Angela Bassett is a fine actress. Halle Berry is hit and miss acting-wise, really, although I happen to like her.

Again, if the part of Lucy had originally called for a black actress and Luc Besson/Hollywood producers decided that a black woman wasn't bankable enough, then that's a shit decision on their part and totally wrong. IF. But I have the feeling, right or wrong, that Hollywood went with the person they though could sell the movie best. The only color Hollywood thinks of is green, anyway. So they chose Scarlett J who is, as I said before, a hot commodity right now.

Personally, I don't think they could salvage this film with someone who was not white (and blue eyes.) It is a trainwreck.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's 2014. Make Your OWN Damn Movies!

I haven't seen Lucy, but nothing about Olivia Cole's hatchet job of an essay makes me not want to see Lucy.

Ms. Cole is described as an "poet, author, and activist." Perhaps she should try and work upon adding "screenwriter" to her titles and when and if she becomes one she can start writing scripts that feature the actresses she wants to see in the films she wants to watch.

In 2014, I've really had quite enough of people of color pissing and moaning about how The Man won't give us a break and put us in his movies. Ever hear of Kickstarter? Don't depend on someone else to tell your stories. Create, own and tell your own stories and then you can tell them the way you want them to be told.

Self-sufficiency is the key to self-expression. Depending on White filmmakers to tell Black stories is a waste on time. We watched Get On Up the James Brown biopic that Spike Lee was fired from and replaced by Tate Taylor, director of the sentimental slop that was The Help. Taylor made a standard, paint-by-numbers biopic that drains all the soul from The Godfather of Soul. I'm not saying Lee would have made a better film, but it's hard to believe he would have made a worse one.

The best thing about this essay appearing in The Huffington Post is at least Cole wasn't paid for it. :rolleyes

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I haven't seen Lucy, but nothing about Olivia Cole's hatchet job of an essay makes me not want to see Lucy.

Ms. Cole is described as an "poet, author, and activist." Perhaps she should try and work upon adding "screenwriter" to her titles and when and if she becomes one she can start writing scripts that feature the actresses she wants to see in the films she wants to watch.

Aw, spoilsport! ;)

Nothing like a good old rant about the lack of PoC in movies and books -- but as a PoC oneself one has to be careful (and silent), because otherwise you will be accused of having a HUGE chip on your shoulder. Maybe that's why I've actually not heard it complained about often. In fact, this is the first time I've read such an article.

Actually, my issue is more about the lack of PoC characters in books. Not one of the last 20 books or so I've read has even one non-Caucasian character -- not even in a cameo role (excluding one book set in India). And I've never read even one article about this imbalance as pertaining to adult books.

The UK Childrens' Laureate, Mallory Blackman, who is black, did bring it up as pertaining to children's books, and she was subjected to a storm of abuse, called racist herself. And there was a few months ago that twitter campaign about diversity in kids' books. But nobody speaks about adult books.

I only ever complain on AW. And I am certainly doing something about it, with all those books I've written over the past 14 years. Fortunately, they are now all going to be published!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I only ever complain on AW. And I am certainly doing something about it, with all those books I've written over the past 14 years. Fortunately, they are now all going to be published!

This is good, but also, as they're published let people know.

Deleted member 42

I guess filmmakers are reverting back to the '30's and '40's era when most if not all film 'stars' were white.

When there were super films being made by, for, and with, non-whites, but they weren't widely distributed.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my issue is more about the lack of PoC characters in books. Not one of the last 20 books or so I've read has even one non-Caucasian character -- not even in a cameo role (excluding one book set in India). And I've never read even one article about this imbalance as pertaining to adult books.

I've seen a bunch of discussion about this on romance blogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.