The 90 Day Novel Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wentworth.Writes

Battling Procrastination daily.
Registered
Reaction score
(Re-posted from 'Novels', because I'm an idiot and posted it in the wrong forum...)

I am, and has always been, a lazy person. This of course has seeped into my writing habits, making me a lazy, unproductive writer.

Don't get me wrong, I love writing, crafting stories, plotting and all that; it's the 'Butt in chair' thing that's been eluding me for a (long) while now.

Procrastination is the name of my game, though I'm not proud of it I still allow it to rule my actions and subsequently sabotaging my progress.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot, only instead of bullets I use Youtube, Facebook and other just as deadly sites.

But I have decided to give myself a kick in the arse and hopefully step up my game by issueing a challenge to myself.

I have 90 days to plot, outline and write a first draft of a novel.

I am currently on day five of the challenge, and the first two days I got a decent amount of plotting done, then for a day or so I slacked off a bit and looked for coo pictures I could (try) to make into a cover, though I still kept thinking about how to developing my plot, but away from Scrivener. And yesterday I sat down and began to write the first scene of my nove.

I think I clocked about 780 words - hardly a dent in my 100 000 word goal, but at least I've started.

Today I spent about an hour and a half making a 'not bad' cover to put up on Wattpad as I will be writing this book 'live'. Hopefully I'll get some feedback on plot, characters and the overall feel of the book.

I won't be editing (too much) as I write because there is no way I'll finish in 90 days at my pace, and 'Perfect never finishes'. :)

If anyone is interested I'm writing a YA Fantasy with plenty of suspense. And though I say fantasy, the fantasy part doesn't really come into play before the last third of the book, and the rest of the series. (Yes, I said series. I have ideas for about two or three more books, but who knows...?) Though I guess it could be called Urban Fantasy for the most part.

Please excuse my ramblings.

Anyway; A young girl is admitted into a psychiatric facility where the doctors seem more dangerous than her own delusions. She must find a way to escape before she disappears, just like the others.

That's my premise for the novel, please feel free to express your opinion wether it sounds enticing or just plain stupid.

Now, please excuse me. I fear I've already taken up enough of your time.

Have a nice day!

Love

Jo

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Good luck!

Might be a good idea to delete that image until you can work out how to repost it at a smaller size. I think the max is 400 x 400, but it's best to check.

It can take a while to get the hang of the forums. The Newbie guide is very helpful.

Wentworth.Writes

Battling Procrastination daily.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

Might be a good idea to delete that image until you can work out how to repost it at a smaller size. I think the max is 400 x 400, but it's best to check.

It can take a while to get the hang of the forums. The Newbie guide is very helpful.

Thank you. I had the same idea and already deleted it. I'm hopeless with computer stuff, though I will be stopping over at the Newbie Guide. Thank you for the link. :D

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the challenge! I'm trying to work at a similar pace too. I have the same problem that you have; I love coming up with ideas and I believe in my ideas a ton, but sitting down and DOING it is much harder - especially when it comes to ironing out details and plot snags.

Your concept sounds fascinating. If I saw that summary online or in a bookstore, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
Good luck! I finished my novel in 90 days just a few days ago, so I know you can do it! Just write write write! You've got your outline done and that's way more than most people, especially me, even had when I started. I just started cold - seat of my pants writing and kept at it.

You can do it!

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep those fingers moving! I like your premise as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.