Status
Not open for further replies.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!

Name ideas usually just come to me, but in the last week I've needed to name a trust, a corporation and two fictitious names that'll stick with me the next 30 years, and now I need to name a third one: another corporation. I'm fresh out of witty names I can write on forms, year after year, and still enjoy.

I thought to myself, "Where do I know a bunch of creative folks..." and thus, here I am, in a real-life naming thread!

So this LLC is going to own property. Probably 4-6 duplexes over the next few years. The name doesn't need to be property related in the slightest.

I've noticed I have a definite tendency to like names that are Adjective Noun, like Dark Coral or Crimson Winter (those two are way too sinister sounding, teehee). I'm not sure if that preference is a good thing or not.. I probably need to break out of the mold!

Anyway, any juicy ideas come to mind? Even words that would make half an LLC name?

I'm shooting for "not sinister sounding [see aforementioned Crimson Winter]" and the kind of name that tells you nothing interesting at all about the company or the people behind it.

Bonus points if it evokes a good logo image too!

And just for grins, I thought about pulling some corporate names out of my WIP, but they're all awful sinister sounding (which is perfect for the novel, but come on? Red Pulse as a company name? The Hammond Cartel? The Tabarram Initiative? That's how you get on a government watch list). Help me think of something normal that I can put on letterhead the next 30 years. Bank accounts, business cards, contracts...

Thank you thank you. :)

~ Anna

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I was once a real estate agent and owned the domain name 'haven maven' -- I think someone else owns it now, but you could check.

What are you going for? Do you want something that will be easy to spell and remember?

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was once a real estate agent and owned the domain name 'haven maven' -- I think someone else owns it now, but you could check.

What are you going for? Do you want something that will be easy to spell and remember?

That's a great domain Karen! Half adorable, half adult.

Easy to spell is great (for other people), because folks'll be writing checks to this name. I have to curtail my desire to use slightly more challenging words, because one should never count on others to be as detail-oriented as ones-self.

Something a tenant can write a check to without wondering too much about the name (Red Pulse, anyone?). Something that sounds like a business, without begging for a real life office (Serrato Industries -- another favorite from my WIP, and not sinister sounding, but it sounds like a large corporation, and this LLC truly isn't).

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a mixture of colours and shapes? E.g. "Green Square". Or "Blue Sun", "Blue Gate" - combinations of familiar things like that?

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
[Local Place Name] Enterprises / Holdings / Trust

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a real estate office and one of our owners named her LLC after a Lord of the Rings reference. Got a favorite book or movie? Or maybe even keep the Serrato, I like the sound of that, and find a company-related name that fits better than Industries does.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a mixture of colours and shapes? E.g. "Green Square". Or "Blue Sun", "Blue Gate" - combinations of familiar things like that?

Thanks Sophia! I do love mixing colors with nouns. Doesn't Green Gate LLC sound like a cute name for a property holding company? It'd have a cute logo to go with and all. It might be a smidge too cute offhand though... hmm... I'm just stuck thinking of other nouns at this point.

[Local Place Name] Enterprises / Holdings / Trust

Lots of ideas popped into mind with your suggestion - thanks! We've got rivers, all manner of trees, flowers...

I work in a real estate office and one of our owners named her LLC after a Lord of the Rings reference. Got a favorite book or movie? Or maybe even keep the Serrato, I like the sound of that, and find a company-related name that fits better than Industries does.

That made me laugh! That's the same idea behind Serrato Industries. I had half an idea to register it and have it own my pen name... it's the sinister bad corporation from my WIP, and the thought of some enterprising fan tracking down my pen name and discovering it was owned by Serrato Industries.. it just makes me giggle.

I'm a huge Firefly fan, well deserved... wonder if I can sneak in a subtle reference there..

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm a huge Firefly fan, well deserved... wonder if I can sneak in a subtle reference there..

Wash & co, or Jayne & co or whoever your fave is & co. (though trademark/ copyright might well put paid to that if it i to recognisably theirs)

Or maybe even leaf on the wind... (same problem?)

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Yeah, be careful with Firefly stuff -- I've heard of a local to here company getting a threat of a lawsuit because they make knockoffs of the Jayne hat -- and they don't even mention Firefly/Jayne or anything related in their promo materials.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I like the idea of using something from your novels. All sorts of potential.

I let my mind run with river/water/wind ideas.

River's Gate
Watercourse
Creek's Bend
Windy River
Wind Tide
Brook's Edge
Wind Dancer (yes, I know it's your "location," but I like it.
Zephyr's Edge
River Zephyr
Zephyr Tide
River Wind

There might be some good "Tide ___" or "___ Tide" ideas too. Maybe look up some sailor's jargon for tides.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to share another special thank you with everyone here. The LLC has been happily named, and the legal paperwork is coming along nicely.

And based on some of these awesome suggestions, I actually changed the name of the other LLC (the paperwork hadn't gone through yet), so now I have two awesomely named LLCs to play with in life.

Well, I will, when the paperwork is done and the state tells me it's official. :)

Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.