Any brain experts out there? Or novices? Whatever knowledge is welcome.

iamscifi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a character that receives a major head injury—which leads to part of his brain being taken out. Just enough so he should go blind. Except, he doesn't. Instead, his sight starts getting processed by a different part of his brain. A part that might be thought to be responsible for seemingly psychic phenomena. This leads to him being able to see impressions that are left behind on items & in rooms.

Is there anyone out there that can help me explain that in a scientifically viable manner?

KateW

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps part of his brain isn't removed.

Damage to the Occpital Lobe (resposnsible for processing visual stimuli) (back of head) including blunt force trauma can cause visual hallucinations & visual illusions. This includes objects having abnormal coloring etc.

So perhaps what others & doctors are viewing towards this character as hallucinations & illusions are actually the impressions :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
You might want to have a look at the book The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks, which is entirely about the neurology of sight and the weird things that can happen to it with brain damage... you might be able to adapt from some of the stories he discusses.

Realspiritik

Realspiritik
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a character that receives a major head injury—which leads to part of his brain being taken out. Just enough so he should go blind. Except, he doesn't. Instead, his sight starts getting processed by a different part of his brain. A part that might be thought to be responsible for seemingly psychic phenomena. This leads to him being able to see impressions that are left behind on items & in rooms.

Is there anyone out there that can help me explain that in a scientifically viable manner?

Hi iam. I think you'd have better luck without trying to remove part of your character's brain. Head injury or stroke will do the trick -- especially if it's restricted to the primary visual cortex in the occiptal lobes at the back of the head.

What you're describing here is somewhat similar to the phenomenon of blindsight, which you can google.

The brain is very plastic, but there are limits. As far as I know, there's no one region of the brain that's been definitively linked to "extranormal communications." (Sorry -- I hate the term "psychic.") Some theories have been proposed that involve overactivation or underactivation of the temporal lobes, but the temporal lobes wouldn't likely be able to take on the task of visual processing per se.

Another topic you might want to look up is synesthesia, where signals from one sense sort of "jump the track" to another sensory pathway. Synesthetes report things like being able to hear colour or see sound. Very interesting stuff.

Good luck with your story!

Jen

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The Burning House is another good book on brain function and how we move forward after injuries.

As to removing and rewiring... I'd be skeptical. One thing we actually have figured out about how brains work is that certain areas are dedicated to certain functions (occipital lobe and vision, for example) and unless the person injured is a child whose brain is still developing and growing I'd probably call bullshit on it as an actual scientific explanation. You can try getting away with doctors claiming "we have no scientific explanation and want to study him more", or not calling it sight since he's not actually seeing what's there, but seeing what used to be there.

Last edited:

iamscifi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! So, the consensus is, "No cutsies," haha. Ok, I'll work it that way. Thanks, again.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If I was going to do this I would have something like a small projectle go up through the occipital towards the prefrontal. Some infection in the track doing god-knows-what to the path and a complex removal surgery. That would cause a lot of stuff that will be as plausible as anything IMHO.

iamscifi

Registered
Reaction score
That idea works out perfectly, since it's an explosion that causes the injury.