Adaptive tech assistance

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
What are some devices/technology that would be useful to a person with limited use of his hands. I'm specifically interested in classroom adaptive assistance for a high school or college-age character - ebooks rather than textbooks, recorder for note taking, etc. If he has trouble writing and with fine motor skills, what would be useful for science labs and showing work in math classes among other things? It's not a huge factor for my story, but I want to get the details right. Classroom tech is where I'm focusing right now, but any helpful ideas for this guy would be awesome.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in college we generally had either a partner or a team for lab work and experiments. You might be able to use that; give your MC a helpful partner.

I don't see why ebooks would better for him rather than textbooks, but that's up to you. I assume using a tablet might be better for him anyway; he could use a simple "peck" typing system.

One non-classroom detail you could possibly use is giving him a "grabber". It's a long-handle device that some people use to pick up things. It's mostly used by people with mobility issues, but it might be helpful to him as well.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in college we generally had either a partner or a team for lab work and experiments. You might be able to use that; give your MC a helpful partner.
I'm thinking a slightly less than helpful partner for a bit of an extra challenge for him.

Would emailed/Dropboxed homework and in-class assignments suffice?

I don't see why ebooks would better for him rather than textbooks, but that's up to you. I assume using a tablet might be better for him anyway; he could use a simple "peck" typing system.
I thought about him using ebooks because he wouldn't have to carry around several bulky textbooks. It would be easier to turn pages, and if they were loaded on his tablet, just about everything he needs for classes would be in one place.

One non-classroom detail you could possibly use is giving him a "grabber". It's a long-handle device that some people use to pick up things. It's mostly used by people with mobility issues, but it might be helpful to him as well
Good detail to think about incorporating. :) Thanks.

There are apps that allow you to use math symbols and do work on the tablet, right?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Would emailed/Dropboxed homework and in-class assignments suffice?

How is this particularly beneficial/adaptive for someone with limited use of their hands?

I thought about him using ebooks because he wouldn't have to carry around several bulky textbooks. It would be easier to turn pages, and if they were loaded on his tablet, just about everything he needs for classes would be in one place.

In some school districts, e-textbooks on school-issue tablets are becoming standard for all students.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are apps that allow you to use math symbols and do work on the tablet, right?
Yes, of course. There are apps that I would describe as "word processing for mathematics", with all the math symbols. Also there are some apps (not necessarily math-specific) that allow you to write with a stylus. Plus there are writing-to-text apps which can convert your handwriting to computer text. Some are good, some are not - that could be another annoyance, trying to get the apps to recognize his writing.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
How is this particularly beneficial/adaptive for someone with limited use of their hands?
I figured it would be helpful as far as turning in written assignments in class? "Class, turn in your quizzes," and my character sends his in. It sounds reasonable in my head.

In some school districts, e-textbooks on school-issue tablets are becoming standard for all students.[/
True. :)

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, of course. There are apps that I would describe as "word processing for mathematics", with all the math symbols. Also there are some apps (not necessarily math-specific) that allow you to write with a stylus. Plus there are writing-to-text apps which can convert your handwriting to computer text. Some are good, some are not - that could be another annoyance, trying to get the apps to recognize his writing.
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. :) He's not too keen on handwriting more than absolutely necessary though. I'm thinking anything that allows him to type and use his tablet is going to make life easier for him.

(Melinda, yeah, I'm still trying to get THOSE couple of scenes straight in my head. LOL)