PDA

View Full Version : What I wrote tonight

blacbird
03-20-2006, 09:40 AM
THE MESOZOIC PALYNOLOGY OF THE ALASKA NORTH SLOPE

INTRODUCTION

Mesozoic strata comprise the major portion of petroleum reservoirs in the North Slope of Alaska, one of the world’s great petroleum provinces. The Permo-Triassic Ivishak Formation at Prudhoe Bay Field and the Lower Cretaceous Kuparuk River Formation at Kuparuk Field are the largest producing oil reservoirs in North America. Numerous smaller but still considerable fields lie within various portions of the Cretaceous column as well, and exploration continues primarily to target Mesozoic strata.

Biostratigraphy, especially using the tool of palynology, has been applied in subsurface correlation for decades, but published information on the area is relatively sparse and poorly integrated. With this report, we propose to document the palynological population and succession seen in Mesozoic strata of the North Slope, to rectify taxonomic issues as far as is practicable, and to provide a basic guide to stratigraphic distribution of forms observed in the region. We hope that this report will serve to unify nomenclature in such a manner as to provide a basis for clearer stratigraphic interpretation, both of existing information from disparate sources, and for future palynostratigraphic work.

GEOLOGIC SETTING AND NOMENCLATURE

Siliciclastic sediments of the Alaska North Slope were deposited throughout Mesozoic time in an east-west trending syndepositionally active foreland basin. Accommodation space and sediment provenance varied widely throughout this time. Details of the geologic history of the region have been documented in numerous publications (e.g., xxxxxx) and are unnecessary to reiterate in this report, except as they have affected the geographical distribution of strata during various depositional intervals.
We prefer to use the plate sequence signature described by Hubbard and others (xxxx) as most accurately reflecting the historical development of the basin (Fig. XXX).

Christ.

caw.

writerterri
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
I have no idea what you said, but dang you're smart.

kristie911
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I got as far as "rectify taxonomic issues" and my brain imploded. I'm assuming it's really good but it'll take someone smarter than me to understand it!

blacbird
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I got as far as "rectify taxonomic issues" and my brain imploded.

So did mine. And some people here wonder why I get sarcastic at times.

caw.

triceretops
03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I caught a lot of it, but I'm into paleontology. Rectify Taxonomic issues--I'm wondering why identifying dinosaurs has anything to do with geologic sedimentation. I mean, I get that dinos and decayed flora are petroleum sources, but what does species names have to do with it. I'm duh dumb too!

Tri

Lantern Jack
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Writing for the sake of obfuscation is poor writing.

Straight from the mouth of William F. Buckley:)

blacbird
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I caught a lot of it, but I'm into paleontology. Rectify Taxonomic issues--I'm wondering why identifying dinosaurs has anything to do with geologic sedimentation. I mean, I get that dinos and decayed flora are petroleum sources, but what does species names have to do with it. I'm duh dumb too!

Tri

Ahhh, not dinosaurs, but dinoflagellates! Would you like to see a picture of Luxadinium propatulum Brideaux & McIntyre 1977? Or possibly my new, soon-to-be described species Xanthocysta ovata?

caw.

Peggy
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
palynology - I'm adding that to the list of words to use next time I play "dictionary"

Forbidden Snowflake
03-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Isn't it clever, when someone doesn't understand something they automatically assume the written thing must be smart. Even though they obviously can't judge. So it could be complete nonsense, couldn't it? ;)

I have no prior knowledge in the subject you wrote about, so I have not really much a clue about it either. But I have to say it sounds well written and I bow to your vocabulary, impressive.

jenngreenleaf
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Isn't it clever, when someone doesn't understand something they automatically assume the written thing must be smart. Even though they obviously can't judge. So it could be complete nonsense, couldn't it? ;)

I have no prior knowledge in the subject you wrote about, so I have not really much a clue about it either. But I have to say it sounds well written and I bow to your vocabulary, impressive.

Yes. ;) I agree!

oswann
03-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I'd use a couple of Snoop Doggy Dog quotes to bring a couple of the ideas home, but apart from that...

Os.

jenngreenleaf
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd use a couple of Snoop Doggy Dog quotes to bring a couple of the ideas home, but apart from that...

Os.

:ROFL:

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Help me out here, are you saying your in FAVOR of drilling for oil in Alaska?

Or that you just like old pollen and spores?

NeuroFizz
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd like to see the dinos--the people here might be blown away by the beauty of some of these little guys. Do your dinos have closely-related extant species?

Maryn
03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
It made me hot.

SC Harrison
03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Or possibly my new, soon-to-be described species Xanthocysta ovata?

Let me guess—this was discovered in the magical realm located somewhere near Florida?

LloydBrown
03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
THE MESOZOIC PALYNOLOGY OF THE ALASKA NORTH SLOPE

Well, I might not match you in quality, but I had a pretty good time for quantity yesterday.

I set up the framework of a freelance reference work for the roleplaying game industry, sort of a WM for RPGs--total word count, almost 18,000. Page count over 70. My outline's done and my toc's set up. I started the glossary and headed all the chapters and sub-heads. I still need to do the actual research for the entries and talk to 100+ editors.

That's not a bad Sunday, considering that I don't work on Sunday.

Yeshanu
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Ahhh, not dinosaurs, but dinoflagellates! Would you like to see a picture of Luxadinium propatulum Brideaux & McIntyre 1977? Or possibly my new, soon-to-be described species Xanthocysta ovata?

caw.

Tri,

DO NOT feed the bears...

Let me guess—this was discovered in the magical realm located somewhere near Florida?

:ROFL:

CaroGirl
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah? At least what you're writing about has the potential to be interesting. This is what I wrote this morning:

You must be logged onto the application as a user that has the ability to administer the Exchange Server environment. The Exchange configuration sets the service account with elevated permissions on the Exchange server message store object. The elevated permissions allow the service account to retrieve and deposit messages to and from the Exchange server on the user's behalf.

Stultifying, no?

Yeshanu
03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Caro, but it helps me sleep better...

CaroGirl
03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Me too. Unfortunately, my boss is getting suspicious about the keyboard marks on my forehead.

reph
03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Last night I wrote: "This is my third request. Next time, my language will become less polite."

Trying to get off a mailing list. Maybe I wrote the wrong thing. Now they might keep me on just to learn some new words.

Vanessa
03-20-2006, 10:21 PM
I read it...
...my head hurtshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif

writerterri
03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
It made me hot.

Hot and bothered or sweaty?:tongue

writerterri
03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
dinoflagellates Is that the same as dino-farts?