William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The governor of North Carolina learned the hard way this week about the dangers of mixing politics and poetry.
Less than a week into her role as North Carolina’s poet laureate, Valerie Macon, a self-published poet and state employee, resigned over questions about her literary credentials and qualifications.

An uproar ensued after Gov. Pat McCrory announced Ms. Macon’s appointment last week. Several of the state’s previous poet laureates denounced his choice as a political appointment rather than one that rewarded literary merit.

They criticized Ms. Macon as a novice who hadn’t earned the distinction of the post, and faulted the governor for choosing the poet laureate himself rather than allowing a committee of writers appointed by the state’s arts council to make the selection.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1&

Last week, Valerie Macon became the poet laureate of North Carolina. Valerie Macon is a disability claims processor with no major publications who was picked singlehandedly by the governor. And you still can't get the slush-pile intern at Copper Canyon Press to answer your goddamn emails.

(Update: A sample poem of Macon's, "Vegetarian Meat Lover," has been added at the bottom of the post. Do enjoy.)

Macon, a lyrical dabbler whose appointment embarrassed Republican Gov. Pat McCrory and outraged published poets everywhere, stepped down from the state-funded post today, but not before she and the governor took shots at those nasty elitist writers and professors with their "literary standards" and financially debilitating lifelong commitments to underfunded arts programs.
http://gawker.com/n-c-poet-laureate-cronyism-enrages-baristas-with-mfas-1607451559

her resignation letter:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1223196-valerie-macon-resignation-letter.html

a sample poem:
http://www.oldmp.com/valeriemaconpoetry.htm

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bless her heart.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It was more than just he didn't allow "a committee of writers appointed by the state’s arts council to make the selection." The state's arts council had alway made the recommendation, and McCrory more or less flipped 'em off.

The reaction was predictable, at least to everybody but the Gov.

caw

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Kathryn Stripling Byer, who served as poet laureate from 2005 to 2009, took issue with McCrory’s attack on the state’s poetry community.

“I was surprised Valerie had to resign, but I can’t say I blame her,” Byer said. “I just wish she’d withdrawn her name before it got so contentious and vitriolic. I’m sorry McCrory put her through this. I hope people place the blame where it belongs, not on the literary community but on a governor who took matters into his own hands and chose a good person who just was not yet ready for this post. It’s sad.”
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/17/4012769/ncs-disputed-poet-laureate-resigns.html

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
It was hard for me to tell if that sample poem was supposed to be highlighting how bad (and therefore unfit) she is, or how good (and therefore right) she is. Guess there is a reason I don't read much poetry!

In any case, it seems that this was a FU move by the Governor, and I think he placed Ms. Macon in a very poor situation.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I liked her poem.

OFFS!! Just when I was willing to let a pol bend the rules this has to happen. If the default process is "by committee" I'm sure it sucks and the idea of a grass-roots poet sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe I'm misreadin' this whole story??!

"I would like to encourage everyone to read and write poetry. They do not need prestigious publishing credits or a collection of accolades from impressive organizations — just the joy of words and appreciation of self-expression."

http://news.yahoo.com/uproar-self-published-poet-laureate-nc-resigns-232313619.html

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It was hard for me to tell if that sample poem was supposed to be highlighting how bad (and therefore unfit) she is, or how good (and therefore right) she is. Guess there is a reason I don't read much poetry!

In any case, it seems that this was a FU move by the Governor, and I think he placed Ms. Macon in a very poor situation.
I was expecting something awful. I thought the poem was actually quite good; she may not have deserved or been ready for the job of poet laureate, but if this poem is any indication, she's neither a fraud nor a hack.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I liked her poem.

OFFS!! Just when I was willing to let a pol bend the rules this has to happen. If the default process is "by committee" I'm sure it sucks and the idea of a grass-roots poet sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe I'm misreadin' this whole story??!

there are just so many conflicting components to it.

you've got a GOP governor, stereotypically someone who would be assumed hostile to the arts and fond of overreaching.

said governor and his hand-picked poet are essentially taking the populist position in the debate, complicating matters further.

the academic wing is torn between defending itself against charges of elitism and fighting for the elitism that protects their influence.

then you've got the built-in condescension that so often comes with self-publishing.

it's fun time.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
there are just so many conflicting components to it.

you've got a GOP governor, stereotypically someone who would be assumed hostile to the arts and fond of overreaching.

said governor and his hand-picked poet are essentially taking the populist position in the debate, complicating matters further.

the academic wing is torn between defending itself against charges of elitism and fighting for the elitism that protects their influence.

then you've got the built-in condescension that so often comes with self-publishing.

it's fun time.

That built-in has gone the way of the laundry shute, I think. Few there were who were snottier than I about "vanity press" books. Ooh boy! I (book store manager & lit git) gave em the fish eye & seldom took the bait (consignment) but every once in awhile I would. But since the internet (& old age) I now have a certain fondness for self-published poets. It is a complicated topic, for me, since I have lots of poetry and guess what? it has yet to publish itself.

Thanks for posting this story/link. I find it uplifiting, in a defeatist sort of way!!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish she had not resigned. She could have grown into the position and learned along the way what she needed to do. Her heart and desire are in the right place. I do hope this does not destroy her poet's soul.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I was expecting something awful. I thought the poem was actually quite good; she may not have deserved or been ready for the job of poet laureate, but if this poem is any indication, she's neither a fraud nor a hack.

What does the job entail?

As near as I can tell, the office is the governor's to fill, period. No laws or regulations require the governor to do anything here, to seek the recommendation or advice of anyone else, no matter what the North Carolina Arts Council says.

And I agree, the poetry is hardly awful. Yet many of the articles on this situation are stating that her poetry is bad or the like, period. Like this piece at Slate:

So literary Tar Heels are mad. Because Macon’s poetry is … not good.

Ugh. Bitter much, Katy?

I don't know if this was an FU move by the Governor or not. I don't really care, though. Because imo, elevating a non-snooty elite to this position is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Maybe some of the general public might actually start paying attention.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this was an FU move by the Governor or not. I don't really care, though. Because imo, elevating a non-snooty elite to this position is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Maybe some of the general public might actually start paying attention.

Choosing someone from the wrong side of the academic tracks might not be the easy thing to do. But, it may give some hope to the majority, who aren't in that elite group (on the correct side of the tracks). Or it could have just been a complete fluke. Who knows?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wish she had not resigned. She could have grown into the position and learned along the way what she needed to do. Her heart and desire are in the right place. I do hope this does not destroy her poet's soul.

It just seems off to me that the person named poet laureate would be someone who should be growing into the position and learning along the way. Not in the 'everyone should always be learning' way, which I'd agree with, but the poet laureate should sort of be someone who knows something about poetry, has been involved in the literary world, etc.

It's not elitism any more than it was elitism to criticize Bush's nomination of that woman to the Supreme Court, who was like, his personal lawyer with no experience or writings or anything on the level of what a Justice should be (though there are no qualifications listed). Same idea, imo.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
It's not elitism any more than it was elitism to criticize Bush's nomination of that woman to the Supreme Court, who was like, his personal lawyer with no experience or writings or anything on the level of what a Justice should be (though there are no qualifications listed). Same idea, imo.

a ceremonial post whose role it is to smile for the camera and read poems is the same as one of nine people given the lifetime position of fundamentally impacting the lives of americans by forming and transforming law?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
a ceremonial post whose role it is to smile for the camera and read poems is the same as one of nine people given the lifetime position of fundamentally impacting the lives of americans by forming and transforming law?

Why yes, that's exactly what I said.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Is Poetry Dead? Not if 45 Official Laureates Are Any Indication

To the former laureates and other detractors, Gov. Pat McCrory’s choice of Ms. Macon — a state disability examiner with two self-published books to her credit — was an outrageous end run around the selection process, if not a cynical prelude to abolishing the position altogether. To the governor, who chose Ms. Macon without the usual advice from the North Carolina Arts Council, critics of his choice were elitists full of “hostility and condescension.”

For the broader world of people who read poetry — and many who don’t — the brouhaha was a chance to ask a more basic question: Just who are America’s state poets laureate, and what do they do anyway?

<snip>

The craze isn’t just happening at the state level. Boston and Los Angeles, among other cities, have established posts in recent years, while a Google search for “county poet laureate” yields thousands of hits.

“I’ve been to places where there is a poet laureate for every ZIP code,” Billy Collins, a former United States and New York State laureate, said. “The country is crawling with them. I think it’s out of control.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/a...ly-but-job-requirements-vary-widely.html?_r=0

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Our city has one. I'm not sure what all she does, but she read a poem just before our 4th of July fireworks show.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
My city has one. We had a locally famous poet there for a while. Cadence Weapon. Don't know who the current one is.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
“I’ve been to places where there is a poet laureate for every ZIP code,” Billy Collins, a former United States and New York State laureate, said. “The country is crawling with them. I think it’s out of control.”

I think there are too many poets, period. They are definitely out of control, especially here on AW.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The World Wrestling Federation had one for a while, Leaping Lanny Poffo the Poet Laureate of the WWF.

That was when wrestling was high brow...

was that before or after Cindy Lauper and Capt Lou?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's easy to grin
When your ship comes in
And you've got the stock market beat
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile